wellding massive missing exhaust studd location

Check here before posting your questions
giff

wellding massive missing exhaust studd location

Post by giff » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:35 am

hello everyone.hope you are all well.i need a bit of welding knowledge to repair my head (on the bike).i have helicoiled all four studds and am awaiting the force to supply me two new flanges .the two studds with the thinnest sidewalls have totally failed and i have two massive holes with no sidewall on the two locations.i have mig and tig skills.i have researched time serts and am thinking i need to weld up the chasms and redrill and tap to time sert.this repair will be very close to the new stainless downpipes.im up for giving it a go and my question is who supplies the magnesium rods and what are they called.(is there a special rating or % of magnesium rod).i would prefere to helicoil as this will ensure i dont overtighten the stainless kit that is arriving soon.any tips to help me would be more than welcome.my cranky beast is getting there slowly but surely ,its a typical rolling restoration that is infuriating me as i have ridden her for 5 weeks out of 52 weeks this year. :D any advice or pitfalls greatfully recieved,regards giff
0 x

Minter

Re: wellding massive missing exhaust studd location

Post by Minter » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:52 pm

We often get damaged exhaust stud heads in our workshop.

We let our local profesional aluminium welder do that job but we do all the drilling etc and recomend the use of a timesert. The torque of the new stud should only be 8Nm. We also use new hardened studs and stainless spring washers for clamping the new flanges up to 20Nm

1 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

arceye

Post by arceye » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:19 pm

The head is Aluminium not Magnesium.
2 x
MT 405 , MT 555
CCM Armstrong 500 CMX
Triumph Sprint ST , Kawasaki ZX10
Phil

giff

Post by giff » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:52 am

thank you for the help guys. yippee to alluminuem,i got rods of ally,thanks minter you legend,and yerself mr arceye. :D
1 x