Re: Why do owners run MTs ?

Post by arceye » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:11 am

lardmarc wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:33 pm
giff wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:40 pm
Mine's black.
Nowt wrong with that.

We are all inclusive these days. Ginger as well. ;)
1 x
MT 405 , MT 555
CCM Armstrong 500 CMX
Triumph Sprint ST , Kawasaki ZX10
Phil

Sloppy Link

Post by Sloppy Link » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:20 pm

arceye wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:11 am
lardmarc wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:33 pm
giff wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:40 pm
Mine's black.
Nowt wrong with that.

We are all inclusive these days. Ginger as well. ;)
There’s a pink 350 knocking about in the SW. So wrong it’s marvellous!
1 x
‘03 BMW F650GS
‘85 Armstrong MT500
‘67 Norton P11

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:41 pm

Mary raises a lot of money with her bike and supports ex Military personnel. The bike has a name -- PINKY
0 x

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:09 pm

I passed my bike test in 1976 and eventually bought my only brand new vehicle, a Yamaha SR500, a lovely bike. While I had it, I still wanted something a bit more rugged and even more basic. Long story short, when I discovered the MT, with it's pannier frames and rack that could carry a bale of hay and two jerricans of water to my horses, or sling on a couple of rucksacks and a pusser''s bag to go touring, that was the bike for me. Just wish I was a better mechanic, but the recent strip down, powder coat and rebuild is at least giving me something in the way of experience in this area. I've had the same bike off and on since 1997.
0 x

giff

Post by giff » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:38 pm

its my man bag ;)
0 x

lardmarc

Post by lardmarc » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:46 pm

Sloppy Link wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:20 pm
There’s a pink 350 knocking about in the SW.
I'm not letting you navigate.
0 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).

JG74

Post by JG74 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:22 am

I was looking for a winter project during October, fancied something slow old and British on the whole. I was also watching a lot of 'itchy boots' and others on Youtube.. You can see how both things came together and I suddenly wanted an MT500! I didn't know they existed until then.

I had visions of distant journeys in rough terrain and warm weather, and also something to plod around locally - those <20 mile rides for a bit of shopping, a pub garden, sport etc.

That leads to this week. After months of winter evenings, doing little and often, I am almost ready to take it for the MOT.. I have so far ridden it 500m.

My other bikes are both 4 cylinder road bikes, and one of those will sadly get sold, the other will probably do longer journeys only.

Character, simplicity, some mods, and not worrying about potholes/ruggedness, green lanes and hopefully some interesting tours here and there - are the reasons I hope I have bought mine.
0 x

Norwesteddie

Post by Norwesteddie » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:05 am

My route to an mt started because I fancied a single cyl bike , have always liked the way they ride , it's just one if them things .So after looking around at old Brits and deciding they were overpriced ( I did mention in another post that I'm a tight ba### rd ) I started looking around at jap singles. And the Spanish sanglas singles . On the whole , being of the rotund persuasion ( fat ba###rd as well as tight ba###rd ) I reckoned that the brightly coloured sporty looking things available were not for me. That left me looking for either an enfield bullet ( had one of them loved it until it was robbed ) but as I'm also on a life mission to have as many different bikes that I can afford ( sadly just not all at once ) ,also as many as I can get herself to understand that I need this bike cos it makes so much sense. This left me looking at yam sr 500 bloody hell for a simple bike they fetch some money . Then stumbled across the mt and it was something I had seen before many years ago and quite liked the style. Considering I have an old ural combo as my daily runaround, and carry stuff ride( sold the range rover after having the ural three years because I only ever used it once a month just to make sure it still ran so off it went) . I thought why not it sort of suits me . I do odd stuff quite well and the mt fits in with the ural. 20 yrs ago I had an mz etz250 as a run around to save beating up the lovingly built harley shovelhead and ended up using the mz for preference ,it was a fun ride , it never got washed ,you could wring its neck everywhere and while it would break the national speed limit it was mot at going to jail speed I see the mt in the same light
0 x

FITZ0439

Post by FITZ0439 » Mon May 03, 2021 8:20 pm

Two simple reasons,
I use my 350 for hunting across farmland , can fit all my gear in it ( yes including my rifle in the gun box) when using my 4x4 would damage crops.
And
It is genuinely a fun bike to ride just plodding around.

Since buying my MT I think I have been out on my other bike twice and now it sits there gathering dust. ( In fact MOT due next month on the Honda total mileage since last test....8 miles!!!) 😆
1 x