What have you done to your MT today ? contd

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
pop

Re: What have you done to your MT today ? contd

Post by pop » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:13 pm

Went to the shed to look at the old girl again tonight, put in some fresh fuel ,pressed the button and away she went...purred like a kitten..not been out since March due to shoulder opp....not much longer now though.......can't wait
1 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:33 pm

pop wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:13 pm
Went to the shed to look at the old girl again tonight, put in some fresh fuel ,pressed the button and away she went...purred like a kitten..not been out since March due to shoulder opp....not much longer now though.......can't wait
Nice one Wayne, the work you put in to get your bike into shape is paying off
0 x

pop

Post by pop » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:12 pm

All credit to the forum for endless info and good advice from members and good work done by Gary from sportax
1 x

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:54 pm

Pulled the sprocket cover off the engine today to see why the neutral light does not work. It doesn't work cos there isn't a switch, so that'll need taking care of but the most notable thing was that the nut and washer from the gearbox shaft were sitting inside the casing and by the amount of rust on the shaft and the fact the nut and washer were stuck to the inside of the casing in mud, I'd say they'd been there a while. :shock:

All back together now and torqued up, so hopefully that won't happen again. :mrgreen:

Neutral switch on order.
1 x

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:57 pm

OK, so the neutral light switch I got used from ebay turned up today, I bought a used one as it was half the price of a new one and I was not completely convinced the whole neutral light thing was going to be successful, so.....

Anyway, ploughing through my manuals, both paper and pfd it was not entirely clear just where the neutral light switch should be but I had a general idea and so pulled out a blanking plug that looked to be in a likely spot and started to wind the switch in, it seemed to come up against something long before it was at the end of the thread so I checked continuity with a meter and after five minutes tinkering I knew something was wrong, so I took the switch out and replaced the blanking plug.

After tea I decided to plough through the manuals again and realised the blanking plug was in the oil filter housing. I spotted this by finding a drawing of someone testing the oil pressure with a remote gauge, at that point a (very dim) lightbulb went on in my head and off I went down to the workshop again.

Before it came to me, my MT500 had been used mostly offroad, so, there is a lot of muddy cr*p around the gearbox sprocket area, even so one look below the vicinity of the sprocket showed a lump of mud beneath which might be something interesting. Sure enough, a few moments with a tooth brush and some white spirits revealed.... a neutral switch complete with wiring connection screw.

An ugly wire up proved it was the switch, and it was working, so I now have a working neutral light... and a spare used switch, yours for a tenner posted if you want it.
2 x

yaka

Post by yaka » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:42 am

that reminds me to sort out my neutral switch, doesnt bother me but when friends and family take my bike all they do is moan either about a lack of fuel guage or as mor often the case no neutral light
0 x

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:53 pm

yaka wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:42 am
that reminds me to sort out my neutral switch,
I've got a spare switch here if you need one. :roll:
0 x

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:52 pm

Postman brought a little something today... how exciting.

The reason I bought my MT500 was because I wanted a smaller bike (my last bike was a Buell S3) that I could rattle around the place on, whizz up to the shooting club on the Mendips, nip down to a friends farm in West Somerset, over to our horses on the other side of town, that kinda stuff.

But, I also have a more serious intention and that is to ride over to France, to a little town called Albert which is in the area of the Somme. I have two Great Uncles buried there and I am not entirely sure if anyone has ever visited both graves. So todays job was to fit a little 12v / 5v USB power socket, I bought it off ebay and it is typical of the kind of thing that China turns out for pennies. I am pleased to say the unit looks well made, and is very well designed / thought out.

Seat off, tank off and with a little tape wrapped around the leads of the unit I was able to feed the cables under the dash and behind the headlamp, round the headstock and into the clips that hold the rest of the wiring loom. It took no more that ten minutes to do the whole job and then to test both the 12v and the USB 5V outlets, all good, tank back on, seat back on and the job was done.

I have the socket on the left hand bar, just where the cross brace is welded on, it fits there like it was made to be there.

Now I need to get a mount for my iPhone and a clip for my ancient Garmin satnav that I can only use in the dry as it is actually made for cars.
1 x

yaka

Post by yaka » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:43 am

have a look at RAM mounts i have one that i use for my phone a tomtom, my tom tom is for my car and not waterproof but you can get cheaper waterproof covers for cheap on the auction site
1 x

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:14 pm

Right then ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, time to continue the saga of my MT500.

I intend to use the panniers, possibly all the time but certainly for my trip to France and the try out trips prior to that, so, having badly sprayed over the gloss black paint on both the pannier frames with some Krylon that came with the bike I then realised that on the exhaust side there was no heat shield, so I thought I'd make one. A suitable piece of thin alloy sheet was found quivering at the back of the workshops and with tape measure in one hand and tin snips in the other we soon had a suitable sized and shaped shield. I put a couple of clamps on to hold it in place while I marked the mounting holes and then set to with the hand drill. A couple of trial fits showed everything lined up, just the job!

Next I needed to find mounting bolts. Like most of us, I have boxes full of old screws and nuts, bolts and washers and after chucking several box loads on the garage floor I found just what I wanted, four domed headed cabinet screws. After trimming a couple to the right size, a full on test fit was carried out.. all good, so off it came again and another workshop search provided a suitable tin of matt black paint for the outward face only, the inner (silencer) face will be left bare alloy.

Mounted up it looks the part and will hopefully do the job of keeping direct heat off any bag I use.

While in the workshop I also started on a tool box mount.

Unable to locate an original tool box at a price I was happy to pay, I went on ebay and did a search for plastic tool box... blow me, loads of the things popped up as it seems that since the last time I had anything to do with my mates Japanese bikes (around 1979), most of the manufactures have started to used small moulded boxes to put the tool kit in. I got a Suzuki plastic box complete with all its contents for a tenner... just after which I spotted an empty original box that eventually went for eighteen quid. :roll:

The box arrived yesterday and I managed to persuade 99% of the tools I wish to carry into it, only one issue, it is a completely different size and shape to the proper item, but nothing is beyond the wit of a resourceful man.

The box has two mounting lugs on top and they fall nicely between the mounting holes for the proper box, so today I cut a strip of steel to bridge across the pannier rack mounting lugs and then drilled two holes to match the lugs of the Suzi tool box. Tomorrow I will complete the job by making a couple of 25mm stand off spacers which will then be used in conjunction with the strip and some suitable length bolts to mount the whole thing.

After that I hope to have received my pannier mounting bolt kit from GV, and we can get the whole lot installed, but for now, it's time for a cuppa.
1 x