Rusty nuts

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
Franc

Rusty nuts

Post by Franc » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:19 pm

Having bought an MT that was completely seized, I have set about occasionally tinkering with it when I'm bored, mainly just undoing, cleaning, lubricating and reassembling it bolt by bolt.
I occurred to me, when looking at your MT, if you had to strip it down, which bolt, or bolts, would you most dread tackling, and for what reason?
0 x

lardmarc

Re: Rusty nuts

Post by lardmarc » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:03 pm

Exhaust studs. Nothing else seizes.
1 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:10 pm

I well remember the first time I wanted to get access to the clutch.

Having removed the cambelt lower pulley I tried to undo the nut behind it having fitted crank locking bolt, engaged 1st gear and choked the rear wheel. I had the correct socket and fitted more and more extension bars, when they reached 3ft the nut eventually started to turn. I hadn't thought of loctite and the need for heat to soften it.

On the second one I did, the nut came off easily, but that had heat which was allowed so soak- the combination of soft loctite and a nut which would have expanded just a tad made a huge difference

I have never needed to remove the exhaust manifold, but that is a much feared job 😮
1 x

MTBrown

Post by MTBrown » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:29 pm

Swinging arm spindle - if rusted on to bearing journals then an absolute nightmare to extract. Been there with a Honda but not an MT!
1 x

Laurence

Post by Laurence » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:36 pm

lardmarc wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:03 pm
Exhaust studs.
And those cross head screws that hold the cover on the front brake master cylinder.... once rusty they round off in no time
1 x
..VFR 400..
..MT 350..
..Enfield Explorer..

#skippy1970

Post by #skippy1970 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:50 am

Laurence wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:36 pm
lardmarc wrote:
Exhaust studs.
And those cross head screws that hold the cover on the front brake master cylinder.... once rusty they round off in no time
Try a JIS screwdriver they fit like a glove
No more mullered screw heads :D
2 x
If my brain was to get any smarter it would become self aware and take over my body

MT350 GL36AA

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:05 pm

#skippy1970 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:50 am
Laurence wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:36 pm
lardmarc wrote:
Exhaust studs.
Try a JIS screwdriver they fit like a glove
No more mullered screw heads :D
I once tried a well fitting screw driver which had a hexagonal shaft. I soaked the master cylinder head screws with releasing fluid and put 6 inch spanner on the shaft but even with that leverage they wouldn't move.

Solution- a punch tapped into the screwhead, then angled so that the next blow turned the screw. New screws required, but at least I could get to the master cylinder and fit the parts from the refurb kit.

At the caliper end , new ball bearing required as the exposed side of that was rusty. I suspect that the brake fluid hadn't been changed for a very long time.

Rusty nuts, screws, ball bearings, all part of MT maintenance fun 😊
1 x

hounddog
Global Moderator

Post by hounddog » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:08 pm

I have undone most of the bolts and screws on mine over the years.
They are better on the MT than a lot of bikes I have had in the past . I was always using an impact driver on a Honda , rarely if ever on the MT

I have had to drill out , one screw joining the crankcase halves together , and the lower mounting bolt for gun box.

I have been lucky with exhaust studs , just use lots of penetrating oil over several days before trying to undo , maybe a bit of heat , and approach gently

The front sprocket nut can be quite tight to remove .

Rear sprocket bolts can also be troublesome , althogh mine were fine

Ian
1 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project

#skippy1970

Post by #skippy1970 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:13 pm

There are three types of cross type screw fixings
Philips
Pozidriv
JIS

If you use a Philips screwdriver on a say a jap carburettor it will try to cam out of the screw fixing
It is designed to do this
If you use a JIS screwdriver the difference felt is quite significant

This is why you see so many witness marks on carburettors :roll:

And why is that seized bolt always in the most inaccessible place :?
1 x
If my brain was to get any smarter it would become self aware and take over my body

MT350 GL36AA

Pewter

Post by Pewter » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:10 pm

The allen head bolts holding the discs on are the worst fittings I’ve encountered. A good friend helped me by heating them with a welding gas torch before undoing them.
0 x