What Helmet?

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
NeilM

What Helmet?

Post by NeilM » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:14 pm

Well I've been out and about on the MT500, mostly road miles which is what the bike is mostly going to be used for.

When I bought it, Steve kindly gave me an open face helmet as my full face Schuberth is just a little bit OTT. The open face is great, it is over 40 years since I have ridden in one, but, I am really not enjoying being smacked in the face at 60 MPH by bugs and flies... it is bad enough when I am cycling, but on the MT is is just plain nasty, so.

I am looking at adventure type helmets as I can now completely see the sense in them for an on / offroad bike, but which one? I visited the local Helmet City today, but their adventure helmets started at £275 and went to over £500 and I already have a full bells and whistles lid. I understand the worth of visiting a shop and picking a helmet that is comfy, I tried a half a dozen lids on and some were better than others, but finding a shop locally is proving to be difficult. I know you get what you pay for, but a lot of the features really expensive helmets have I really don't need for day to day bashing around the local lanes and up the occasional bridleway, so I am looking for something a bit cheaper.

If I have a few brand and model names I may be able to search out a local stockist, so, do you guys have any suggestions for a good, comfy workhorse helmet that will not break the bank?
0 x

twmtomos1

Re: What Helmet?

Post by twmtomos1 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:33 am

i like a open face helmet, and a neck tube pulled up for the bugs and rain [ dont know if that is the correct name for them],but the open face helmet has damaged my hearing even with year plugs,any speed over about 50mph is noisey with the open face helmet, and for better noise protection a full face helmet would be best
0 x

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:17 pm

OK, slight revision of ideas, I am now looking at flip front helmets.

Any thoughts?
0 x

yaka

Post by yaka » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:52 pm

i can vouch for the shoie neotec, lovley lid, tad on the heavy side but you get used to it. the tweaks done to the latest one makes all the differance.
0 x

Bonnielad
Global Moderator

Post by Bonnielad » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:59 pm

As with anything there is for and against.
PEAK or NO PEAK?
The peak is excellent for shielding the low sun but make sure the peak has plenty of vents or the wind will pull your head backwards.
NOISE
Noise is an issue because only the smoothest full-faced helmets slip through the wind. Adventure helmets have lots of nooks and crannies which increase the noise, and in my experience, flip fronts aren't that much quieter. Always wear plugs or regret it in later life.
WEIGHT
Due to the additional mechanism, a flip front will be heavier. You don't feel it straight away but will after a long day in the saddle. I recently bought a BKS carbon fibre from J&S for green laning. It's an off-road helmet but it's so incredibly light and remarkably good value for money.
GOGGLES or VISOR?
Off road helmets rely on goggles rather than a visor. I find goggles restrict my peripheral vision, but a visor will steam up if you do any physical work while green laning.
For road rding I use an AGV hi-vis flip front which is like a belisha beacon when I'm leading a group. I also have a Givi adventure helmet but it doesn't get much use.
Don't get too hung up on needing an "adventure helmet". The main issue ahould be the quality of the protection (don't ever buy cheap or second hand), my son owes his life to a Shoei Hornet. Make sure whayever you get has got the ACU standard approval or find out from the manufacturer. Then of course it must be comfortable. I once sold a brand new helmet because it forced my eyebrows into a constant frown (no comments please!).
Finally, this months ABR magazine has a feature testing all different adventure helmets.

Hope this helps.
0 x
1985 Armstrong MT500 ('Modernised') now L.R. Green.
1964 Triumph Tiger Cub TR20 Trials Works Replica
2019 Honda CB500X

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:32 pm

Thanks for the replies, that is excellent information and just what I was looking for.

As for later in life.... I am 60 and mostly deaf in my right ear (nothing to do with motorcycles), I am sure I have a lot more life in me yet, so I will make sure I wear ear plugs.

BTW, how come we never did this in the past? I used to wear ear plugs when I was motor racing, but only started to use them on a bike a few years ago, back in the late 70's and 80's when I was covering a lot of miles, it never occurred to use to wear ear plugs.

Funnily enough I had spotted the AGV flip front and have it on my list of possibles. I may well take a ride up to Bristol next week and try a few lids on a Fowlers and J&S.

I have also spent some time checking out different brands and models here: https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:07 pm

NeilM wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:32 pm

As for later in life.... I am 60 and mostly deaf in my right ear (nothing to do with motorcycles), I am sure I have a lot more life in me yet, so I will make sure I wear ear plugs.
When I was 60, I could hear in both ears, see with both eyes (with specs), had lungs that worked and did a lot of cycling to keep fit for skiing
When I was 62 I was deaf in both ears, half blind, was on a vertilator, and in intestive care.

I have recovered some things, some hearing, but need two aids, and with the cash from selling an MT I could no longer ride, I bought an electric bicycle- a KTM. I also learnt how to navigate using buses, trains and ferries

My advice to anyone is to do as much as you can whilst you can- you never know what the future has in store

Make the most of your MT, if you maintain it well it will give good service
6 x

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:49 pm

Having not long retired I am now having to get used to having the mind of a 25 year old trapped in a 60 year old body. :D

In the past I have lost friends who were too young to die and had too much to live for, as you say, your life can change in a moment.

Sounds like you had a pretty tough time, enjoy that KTM and I will do my best to do the same with my MT.
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:28 pm

NeilM wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:49 pm
Having not long retired I am now having to get used to having the mind of a 25 year old trapped in a 60 year old body. :D
If you can get to the North Wales meet, you'll meet other re-cycled teenagers !. There should be opportunities for both road and off road riding. The only note of caution is the traffic police, whose duty is to ensure that their local hospitals aren't filled with hooligan out of towners 😊
1 x

Derrick
Global Moderator

Post by Derrick » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:45 pm

I've gone for the Caberg Duke, flip up with a pin-lock so the front can be locked up when riding if you wish.

Much more sociable than full face (and easier to put on wearing spectacles) but has better protection than the open-face.
0 x
1997 HD MT350
2002 Honda Pan European 1300
2015 Honda CB500F