The mystery of Rotax

Before you can go any further, you must make an short introductory post here. Once you have done that you will get full access.
Forum rules
Please write a quick introduction. Which MT do you have or which one are you yearning for!....

Once we have been introduced, one of the admin team will upgrade your registration to standard.

Please note that if you are joining only to sell something, even if its an MT, you MUST ask first or your post will be deleted.

All new members are required to complete their locations (approximate) in your Profile and you are welcome to add your position in the 'Phoogle' map. Full instructions below.

Users who post less than 1 post per month may find their registration removed, this is our housekeeping not being militant!

Persevere - we're worth it!

Any probs or questions, please email us using the 'Contact Us' button at the top of your page.
Bikespark

The mystery of Rotax

Post by Bikespark » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:52 pm

I have always be curious as to why the Rotax engine is so special. I was offered a MT 350 and decided to try it. I am extremely biased towards Triumph and have owned a few over the years with an Explorer in the stable at the moment. Beside it sits a Yamaha Xt 660r, a Honda SLR 650 (soon to be street tracker) and a Suzuki TS 250x to remind me that I'm still alive!

I'm looking forward to seeing just how good this engine/bike is and will no doubt need all the help I can get....
1 x

Force Motorcycles

Re: The mystery of Rotax

Post by Force Motorcycles » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:32 am

Welcome to the forum!

We are the official UK agent for Rotax Motorcycle parts, so let us know if there's anything we can help with.

Enjoy the MT350!

Force
0 x
Force Motorcycles - The World's Largest MT350 and MT500 Parts Dealer

The UK's Exclusive and Official ROTAX Parts Dealer

:arrow: Visit Our Online Store

:arrow: Follow Force Motorcycles on Facebook!

Minter

Post by Minter » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:38 pm

Welcome to the forum Bikespark!

We think the Rotax is a great bit of kit and enjoy tuning them or rebuilding them to customers requirements..

Hers one we did that s a little bit different for a Swiss customer

We can also do them black!
1 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

IvorD

Post by IvorD » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:43 pm

That looks ace! Nice to see an engine finished in something other than regulation black or silver 8-)
1 x

hounddog
Global Moderator

Post by hounddog » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:49 am

Nice red engine , powder coated or sprayed ?
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project

MTBrown

Post by MTBrown » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:27 am

Bikespark wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:52 pm
I have always be curious as to why the Rotax engine is so special. I was offered a MT 350 and decided to try it. I am extremely biased towards Triumph and have owned a few over the years with an Explorer in the stable at the moment. Beside it sits a Yamaha Xt 660r, a Honda SLR 650 (soon to be street tracker) and a Suzuki TS 250x to remind me that I'm still alive!

I'm looking forward to seeing just how good this engine/bike is and will no doubt need all the help I can get....
It's an interesting question regarding whether the Rotax engines used in the MT350 or MT500 are special or not. Don't get me wrong because I rate my MT500E much higher than any of the other bikes I have owned - however, to some extent, this is probably in spite of the Rotax engine rather than because of it. It is a strong, robust and reliable engine when properly maintained and in 500cc form produces an adequate amount of power but it is a little agricultural in its design, especially the use of a rubber timing belt. The later 650cc Rotax engines used on the 2000-2007 BMW F650GS are better engineered especially with their use of an internal timing chain and dual overhead camshafts that avoid the need for rockers. However, the MT's are what they are and that means living with these 1980's era Rotax engines!
0 x

deadgrass.

Post by deadgrass. » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:13 pm

air cooled,
4 valve head,
belt drive safe cam,
dry sump,
electronic ignition,
thermal overload trips[if you use 350 wiring],
electric and kick start,

depending on what you want thats a good spec for a new bike today,

dave.
3 x
born to be waserk
thank god for atheism.
sometimes your front legs need to be stiff and the fur on your arse vertical.

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:06 pm

deadgrass. wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:13 pm
air cooled,
4 valve head,
belt drive safe cam,
dry sump,
electronic ignition,
thermal overload trips[if you use 350 wiring],
electric and kick start,

depending on what you want thats a good spec for a new bike today,

dave.
I seem to recall that one of the army's tests when choosing the MT500 from two other contenders was the ability to run with no oil.

Testament to that, I was riding one night with an MT500 and he stopped- his cambelt had snapped. He changed it so we set off again but he stopped again after another mile saying it didn't sound right. It had lost all of its oil, he said he knew it was leaking and usually checked it daily but he had forgotten to do it. Upon refilling with oil he set off and rode the 100miles home without incident. Not many engines would stand for that, it would be phone the RAC time

One firm posted a video of how to set up a Rotax cambelt but incorrectly set it 180 degrees out, the engine did actually start

The engines will run if one or even two teeth out , sub-optimal but it does illustrate resilience.

A hot shot it is not, as standard, but durable it is. Tricky to test durability......
0 x

Minter

Post by Minter » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:33 am

hounddog wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:49 am
Nice red engine , powder coated or sprayed ?
Powder coated Ian..
1 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link