Insurance - Is it me?

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
NeilM

Insurance - Is it me?

Post by NeilM » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:35 pm

Having put a deposit on am MT500 this afternoon, I came home and started insurance hunting.

Using a compare site I only managed four quotes the lowest being £148, so I went to Bennetts web site, I had my Buell insured with them a while ago, they wanted £165, I then went to Carol Nash, I used to have my British bikes with her, but apparently I am too high a risk these days as she wants £10600.... yes you did read that right, several other web sites won't even quote me, I have to ring.

So it seems a 60 year old retired bloke with a locked garage, a full licence (since 1977), no convictions, no crashes, no claims but who has not owned a bike in a few years is a super high risk prospect.

I'll try not to take it personally.
1 x

rustybike

Re: Insurance - Is it me?

Post by rustybike » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:59 pm

That’s mad. Get something slower... :lol:
0 x
Lets get out there and Tw^t it!!

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:10 pm

Clearly North Somerset is a dodgy area !

It's a long time since I needed insurance, but I remember MT350 being treated as Classic, no limits on mileage, but no no claims just a flat rate of about £70 which even allowing for inflation should be less than £80 . Times have changed or the extra power of a 500 increases the risk.The only bright side is that next year you'll hopefully have No Claims discount
0 x

twmtomos1

Post by twmtomos1 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:45 am

iv been with carol nash for years ,only because they do european break down cover,but the insurance industry have all put up there prices ,i paid £ 280 fully comp this year for a 2008 bonneville and MT350 fully comp,also Carol Nash is no longer owned buy her thats why there price have gone up,they reckon car insurance was going to double this year but got that for the same price as last year,im sure if i would of shoped around might of had it cheaper,going back to european break down cover a lot of companies wont cover recovery on a vehicle older than 10 years old from abroad inclduing the RAC,
0 x

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:26 am

I'm going to be making some phone calls today, guess which firm will get the first call. :mrgreen:

I am really interested to know just exactly what or who Carol Nash think I am going to crash into to do more that £10k's worth of damage.... Prince Philip maybe.

I retired last December and having had a company car since I was 19 (not the same car obviously), I needed to buy a car and get my own insurance. A friend has a car dealership so I got a near new estate car and insured it fully comp for £200, so I really was expecting to get quotes in the region of £80 for the MT.

I will try some of the Classic providers I have used in the past... anybody remember the old Norwich Union rider policy? I think that used to cost me about £10 or £15 or maybe even less and I was allowed to ride anything..... the world's gone mad.

As for North Somerset, I tell you, some of the Indian Takeaways and Kebabs you can get on Weston-s-Mare seafront are seriously dodgy. :mrgreen:
0 x

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:15 pm

Well having spoken at length to the nice lady at Carol Nash and after receiving a 98.6% discount on their previously quoted price I went for vintage cover... not sure if that means me or the bike... or both, anyway £148 was about the same as a couple of other quotes I have got and it comes with European recovery, and as part of the reason for buying the bike is for a planned trip to France next year.... job done.

Next job, download the Mapsme app.
1 x

Pewter

Post by Pewter » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:19 pm

FYI it can be worth trying Harley-Davidson insurance. It is the same company as Carol Nash but they do know what MT 350s and 500s are. I usually get a good deal, after negotiation, on my 4 Harley’s of which 3 are MTs. They also include breakdown and full European cover.
0 x

yeti341

Post by yeti341 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:37 am

Try Peter Nash I'm getting good quotes for my can am,s and a mt last year
0 x

hounddog
Global Moderator

Post by hounddog » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:15 pm

NeilM glad you got it sorted at a sensible price .
1 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project

Gilk

Post by Gilk » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:41 am

Used BeMoto, not the cheapest quote but the excess was way lower than the other companies, £1000 excess plus£350 mandatory excess for the Ducati ST and the MT was way too much, even if it was £20 cheeper. But really you only find out how good they are when it all goes wrong.
0 x