new old boy

Before you can go any further, you must make an short introductory post here. Once you have done that you will get full access.
Forum rules
Please write a quick introduction. Which MT do you have or which one are you yearning for!....

Once we have been introduced, one of the admin team will upgrade your registration to standard.

Please note that if you are joining only to sell something, even if its an MT, you MUST ask first or your post will be deleted.

All new members are required to complete their locations (approximate) in your Profile and you are welcome to add your position in the 'Phoogle' map. Full instructions below.

Users who post less than 1 post per month may find their registration removed, this is our housekeeping not being militant!

Persevere - we're worth it!

Any probs or questions, please email us using the 'Contact Us' button at the top of your page.
willywood

new old boy

Post by willywood » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:57 pm

hi all just registered as i am now the owner of my second MT 500 it has been sat in my shed for 2 years as my kicking ability was minimal but have had a rush of blood to the foot and am going to attempt to get her running again was a runner till my neglect took hold. as i said i owned one before and loved the bike for our local lanes and roads (Cumbria) so nostalgia took hold and i located a bike for sale in the highlands of Scotland which i bought and brought to Cumbria and rode it lightly through late summer till it went to sleep in the shed, this again may be a heart over head idea at 70 but all seems ok battery has taken a charge and it will be d-day tomorrow dont know if i will be lucky or if the carb will be bunged up, it probably will. i will but on my lead boots in the morning and try to remember the routine remembering being my worst subject. see you down the lane willywood
1 x

Wirralman

Re: new old boy

Post by Wirralman » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:29 pm

Welcome to the forum

I know nothing about 500 but the thing I recall folks saying for a bike that has stood for a while

Get some oil in your oil tank, it will all be in the sump by now

Fresh fuel not forgetting to drain any old fuel out of the float bowl

If it doesn't fire after 5 kicks, take spark plug out and dry/ clean/change it

Personally , I'd go through electrical earths and clean for good measure renew the cambelt, thoroughly clean the tank internally.

Battery renew, inner tubes renew, new oil n filter

Check out the Initial Servicing Guide at the head of the forum General section

Worth noting that one 500 owner went to renew his wheel bearings this week and found his friction material de-laminating 😐
0 x

willywood

Post by willywood » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:53 pm

Cheers thanks for the advice wirralman all taken on board especially oil and battery but am expecting a bit of a strip down anyway the rest was just wishful thinking ta for the welcome willywood
0 x

MTBrown

Post by MTBrown » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:31 pm

willywood. The good thing about MT's and the MT500 in particular is that the ignition circuit is separate from the rest of the wiring harness and is completely independent of the battery - in other words, the state or presence of the battery doesn't matter in terms of getting it fired up. The first thing to do is to check that you have a good spark in which case the ignition wiring is probably ok.

The other important thing about the MT500 is that it won't start if the engine is flooded. If it gets flooded, you need to depress the decompressor and kick it over 6 or so times with the fuel off to clear the cylinder of petrol. Most of the carbs found on the MT500 have an enricher starting device rather than a butterfly choke. Since this provides a richer mixture into the engine, you will normally only get 2-3 chances at most of kicking it into life before the engine floods. After that you will probably need to clear the cylinder and start again.

I would give it a go as it stands but if you don't get it to fire at all then you will probably need to clean out all the old fuel from the tank and carb before having another go. It's not the easiest engine to kick over and I would definitely rotate it on the decompressor to position the white mark in the viewing lens before giving it your hardest kick.
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:46 pm

One forum member who has a stash of bikes/ parts/ engines etc decided to see if an MT that hadn't run in several years would fire up.

I don't know exactly what he did beforehand but he said something like 'the basics' and was pleasantly surprised when his MT roared into life Knowing him his basics would have been thorough ( his day job is keeping aircraft flying )
0 x

Minter

Post by Minter » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:53 am

Welcome to the forum Willy..

Enjoy the tinkering!

Gary
Sportax Racing
01952 850802
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

MTBrown

Post by MTBrown » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:27 am

I hadn't run one of my MT500's for well over a year and the only precaution I took before trying to start it was to drain the large amount of oil that had seeped from the oil tank into the sump which would otherwise have made it more difficult to spin the crankshaft over fast on the kickstart. Not always a problem with MT500's but might be worth checking. After taking this precaution, the MT500 started after 1-2 kicks even with stale fuel in the carb. Therefore, if you've got a good spark and you've checked that the sump is not full of oil, I would try to kick it over and see what you get.
0 x

willywood

Post by willywood » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:39 pm

Thanks MT as i have spent the rainy day locating and reading a technical handbook I see you are totally correct re the battery and i have wasted most of today charging as it was probably ok for lights etc. I should have done my repeat homework first and now remember that the blackout switch killed the fuse box supply for horn and lights but obviously left the ignition alone due to the magneto supply. anyway the oil situation i think I will drain sump first and make sure there is a ready supply and i do seem to have a decent spark I think i will attempt a start after the drain and see how I get on. Thanks for your Help and reply willyw
0 x

willywood

Post by willywood » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:42 pm

Thanks for the welcome Gary (minter) no doubt i will be needing you sooner or later maybe carbs will come into it see you down the lane willyw
1 x

Minter

Post by Minter » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:26 am

willywood wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:42 pm
Thanks for the welcome Gary (minter) no doubt i will be needing you sooner or later maybe carbs will come into it see you down the lane willyw
No worries Willy, we fitted 3 carb kits last week one on an MT350, an MT500 and an MT560. Without doubt the best upgrade for any MT!
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link