Before you can go any further, you must make an short introductory post here. Once you have done that you will get full access.
Forum rules
Please write a quick introduction. Which MT do you have or which one are you yearning for!....

Once we have been introduced, one of the admin team will upgrade your registration to standard.

Please note that if you are joining only to sell something, even if its an MT, you MUST ask first or your post will be deleted.

All new members are required to complete their locations (approximate) in your Profile and you are welcome to add your position in the 'Phoogle' map. Full instructions below.

Users who post less than 1 post per month may find their registration removed, this is our housekeeping not being militant!

Persevere - we're worth it!

Any probs or questions, please email us using the 'Contact Us' button at the top of your page.
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:42 pm

Hi. Iam looking to get an MT500 or MT350 in the near future and am hoping I can get some information from the forum regarding which is the better one to go for. At the moment it looks like a choice between a smaller engined but more modern bike with electric start and disk brakes versus a more powerful engined bike with old fashioned drum brakes and kickstart. It would be nice to get a version with the best features of each? Cheers Mike
0 x

hounddog
Global Moderator

Re: New Member

Post by hounddog » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi and welcome. You've summarised the differences well.
One popular option is a 405cc upgrade kit to the 350 which gives a decent power increase .
500 is a good bike but needs carb set up well to help starting , it can be frustrating kicking one into life and there is a knack
1 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:45 pm

Welcome to the forum

Why do you want one ? There are better off roaders, there are better road bikes
0 x

Force Motorcycles

Post by Force Motorcycles » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:35 pm

Welcome to the forum!

We have an MT350 for sale on our website if you're interested.

Force
0 x
Force Motorcycles - The World's Largest MT350 and MT500 Parts Dealer

The UK's Exclusive and Official ROTAX Parts Dealer

:arrow: Visit Our Online Store

:arrow: Follow Force Motorcycles on Facebook!

Minter

Post by Minter » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:19 pm

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.

As houndog mentions the 405 kit with carb, cam and silencer produces 37 rear wheel horse power compared to a standard MT500 producing 24. The standard 350 only produces 18 rear wheel horse power!

We also do tuning kits for the 500's too.

Good luck with your search

Gary
Sportax Racing
01952 850802
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

Spaceman

Post by Spaceman » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:01 am

Wirralman wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:45 pm
Welcome to the forum

Why do you want one ? There are better off roaders, there are better road bikes
That's a very good question. I presently ride a BMW F650GS Dakar which is a very good bike for road and green lane use but I was looking for something a bit more basic that I could have a bit of fun on and would be less concerned about damaging.

To be honest, I think the MT350 even with the 405 upgrade kit would not give me enough of the low down torque I am used to and therefore a 500 cc motor is probably the minimum I could live with. I like the look of the MT500 with its pannier racks for carrying spares etc but I don't think I could live with the kickstart and brakes. If only the army had kept with 500 cc when it purchased the MT500 replacement!!
1 x

Minter

Post by Minter » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:03 am

[/quote]
If only the army had kept with 500 cc when it purchased the MT500 replacement!!
[/quote]

I've said the same many times! Engine mounts are the same for all the engines and many owners have fitted 500e engines and 604e engines or 640e engines..
2 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:01 am

You COULD buy an MT350 and upgrade the engine, or keep an eye out for an MT350 fitted with a more powerful engine. BUT it would probably cost more than buying a second hand BMW F650 and replacing anything you break with second hand parts

CV500 ( civilian versions of the MT500 were built in small numbers ) and Canadian MT500 had electric start but I think still drum brakes .American military had a few hundred HDMT500 built, they had electric start and some surplus engines did reach UK

I suspect that the switch from the 500 to the 350 was to move in line with civilian regs
0 x

Spaceman

Post by Spaceman » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:56 am

I appreciate all the feedback and it now looks as though I need an 500e engined MT with at least a front disk brake! The F650GS is a great bike but, like a lot of more modern adventure bikes, they feel very bulky to ride especially the F650GS with its false petrol tank - I'm after something more Old School with a smaller tank. Also, because they stopped building the 650cc F650GS in 2007, spares can be quite difficult to get hold off especially the plastic bits whereas second hand spares for an MT look readily available. I'm a patient person and will therefore keep a look out for the MT I'm after. Again, thanks for the help.
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:40 am

You could be in for a very long wait. The numbers of MT350 fitted with e/s 500 405 560 604 are tiny. 555 in pipeline also. That said, I'm sure I've seen a 405 sales advert where the owner had to hang up his leathers

If you want one for little money , impossible in my view.

You could easily over-pay for an MT though, new owners who have only seen ONE MT are especially vulnerable. Knowledge of what you're looking at is key

You would be welcome at MT events ( even on at BMW 😊), so I would suggest that you keep an eye on the Events section and attend.You wouldn't have to risk your bike by going off road but you would pick up info on stuff you hadn't even thought about. Chances are you'll be able to enjoy a lemonade or two with MT owners 😊
0 x