Lighting

Before you can go any further, you must make an short introductory post here. Once you have done that you will get full access.
Forum rules
Please write a quick introduction. Which MT do you have or which one are you yearning for!....

Once we have been introduced, one of the admin team will upgrade your registration to standard.

Please note that if you are joining only to sell something, even if its an MT, you MUST ask first or your post will be deleted.

All new members are required to complete their locations (approximate) in your Profile and you are welcome to add your position in the 'Phoogle' map. Full instructions below.

Users who post less than 1 post per month may find their registration removed, this is our housekeeping not being militant!

Persevere - we're worth it!

Any probs or questions, please email us using the 'Contact Us' button at the top of your page.
MJC

Lighting

Post by MJC » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:36 pm

Hi
Have just purchased an MT350 and would like to upgrade the headlight. It currently has a halogen bulb 50/50w with a weird fitting. Does anyone know what the max wattage is that I can get away with.
Thanks
MJC
0 x

hounddog
Global Moderator

Re: Lighting

Post by hounddog » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:03 pm

Hi and welcome. The standard MT bulb is a feeble 35 watt one ! If you're up to 50w it's already been upgraded , and hopefully your wiring has been upgraded to handle it with a relay . Be careful you don't overheat your loom
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:02 pm

I'm not sure about overheating the loom, it is protected by fuses. However, forum members have melted bulb holders before now in their quests for more light. Relays and LED have been be used together with additional lights
0 x

MTBrown

Post by MTBrown » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:29 am

I believe the standard 1.0 mm^2 PVC cable used in most parts of the MT wiring loom will dissipate < 1W in heat when providing the current of 4.2 A needed for a 50 W headlight bulb - hence there shouldn't be any risk of the loom overheating. Also, my more modern bike uses a 60W H4 Halogen bulb with a plastic retaining ring and seems to cope with the heat without any problems.
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:27 am

MJC, a few things for you to consider

1 the heat generated by aftermarket bulbs has melted MT350 bulb holders before now, there used to be a photo in one post. I think the original spec is 35W

2 if memory serves there are two, perhaps more, bulb fitting used on MT350

3 members who have used more powerful bulbs have had MOT failure due to the beam spread being out of limits

4 the experience of a modern road bike with that of a 30 year old design capable of both on and off road, easily maintained is 'different' if you want a bike for road use only, buy a Honda

5 Some complain about the difficulty of working on the engine in situ , but the design allows for military maintenance so it's easy to remove the whole power plant and send it off to maintenance/ scrap/ re-build whilst a fresh engine is installed in the bike.
1 x

hounddog
Global Moderator

Post by hounddog » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:50 am

Fair enough you may not overheat the loom. But it seems to be generally advised to use a relay for a powerful bulb. And I have seen some scary looking photos of scorched bulb holders so just be wary if using a non standard bulb
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project

TJRL

Post by TJRL » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:08 pm

I fitted a HID conversion kit in both my MTs, which I found brilliant (pun intended!), never had an issue at MoT time and never had any oncoming drivers flash at me to indicate that I was dazzling them. As a bonus because the power needed to run HIDs is less than the standard bulb there is no need to upgrade the wiring or fit relays.

However I know some are not keen on the HID conversion and it does require a small adaption of the headlight fitting , so I purchase additional headlights in order that when I sold my MT they were easily put back to OEM. The only downside having sold both my MTs is that I now have a pair of HID headlights cluttering up my garage!!

As you already have a higher powered bulb fitted you may find that fitting relays that allow a direct supply from the battery to power it will produce an increase in light output as it will remove any losses from the OEM loom.
0 x
1997 MT350 (with 500e) - Sold 2014 :(
1999 MT350 (With 604e) - Sold 2018 :( :(
2014 F800 GT
2018 R1200RT LE
1960 SII Land Rover SWB SW

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:27 pm

I can't be absolutely certain, but I think the old forum member who reported having problems with more powerful bulbs was the aptly named Mr Shiney 😊
0 x

P.I.STAKER

Post by P.I.STAKER » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:34 pm

Hi and welcome to the club

https://sites.google.com/site/gvsparts/
0 x
ARMSTRONG MT500 1984
BMW R1100S