Checking the Engine Number

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
Carlos

Checking the Engine Number

Post by Carlos » Fri May 10, 2019 7:37 am

Hi all
Looking at a MT. I’ve checked VIN number and that comes back ok. Bikes never been registered and had a replacement engine in 2003. My question is how can i find out if the engine is stolen or legit?
0 x

Carlos

Re: Checking the Engine Number

Post by Carlos » Fri May 10, 2019 7:39 am

On top of the ad pics I asked for extra pics of VIN and engine numbers which he sent me.
0 x

Carlos

Post by Carlos » Fri May 10, 2019 7:43 am

On top of the ad pics I asked for extra pics of VIN and engine numbers which he sent me.
0 x

hounddog
Global Moderator

Post by hounddog » Fri May 10, 2019 7:45 am

I'm not sure you can check if engine number is ok. Best give DVLA a call and ask them
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project

Carlos

Post by Carlos » Fri May 10, 2019 9:01 am

I think it’s legit as it had new engine in 2003 number doesn’t look tampered with and the bike was released from MOD in 2009
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Fri May 10, 2019 11:13 am

hounddog wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:45 am
I'm not sure you can check if engine number is ok. Best give DVLA a call and ask them
If the bike in question is in Germany after being taken there by the army/RAF and is unregistered so the DVLA will have no records whatsoever.

Buying a high priced non-registered bike in Germany on the strength of photographs makes no sense to me in the first place. Bike £3000 , shipping and registration MOT £500- then £300 servicing, fresh tyres and tubes etc For that sort of spend I'll bet you could buy a UK registered MT350 and get Sportax to improve it no end !
1 x

Carlos

Post by Carlos » Fri May 10, 2019 12:03 pm

Ok this is the score. I know it’s photos but it looks mint and has the paperwork. I’ve got the price down it’s going to be £2800 Including delivery. I said I’m not prepared to send that much cash into a bank account without having a bike in my hands. He understood my concerns and he suggested £100 deposit which I haven’t paid yet and the rest cash on delivery. The research I’ve done on the ad and his own site look ok to me and more computer savvy bods I’ve spoken to. I have spoken to him on the phone too. £55 to register with DVLA I’ve checked out the vin and it has the original stamp which looks untampered with and isn’t reported stollen and comes back as a Harley Davidson Military Vehicle. I’ve gone on google maps to confirm where it’s coming from think I’ve done just about everything apart from next step which I thought will be send £10 of the £100 deposit to make sure it gets there and I get email back saying he got that then send the other£90 I’d want his bank details in email so I’ve got records of that. I also wondered if I went into the bank and did it there could they check the name of the account holder before it’s sent? Also if he gets the deposit and confirms that back to me then he’ll ship it- I get it- I check it- if all good il pay for it- if numbers don’t match up I won’t pay for it.
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Fri May 10, 2019 1:11 pm

By 'Checked out the VIN ' I assume that you have done the check digit validation ? If not, it may be useful to do so

I am unaware of European-wide records of stolen bikes ,

You're clearly want to buy this on the strength of photos but from your posts have some concerns

I just don't get it. Why pay £1000+ over the odds in the first place ? Why buy a bike unseen ? Why not buy a bike that you can see, test ride and cost less?
0 x

Carlos

Post by Carlos » Fri May 10, 2019 1:25 pm

Yeah your right maybe I need to take a step back have a fag and rethink it. I just had a feeling about this one and did think yeah be the first owner on it. And always at the front of my mind is, is it a scam? I’ve never purchased a motor this way in the past.
0 x

hounddog
Global Moderator

Post by hounddog » Fri May 10, 2019 2:32 pm

I think you're right to be cautious , but its difficult when you set your heart on something. It does look great in the photos .

If buying this one from abroad , in your position I would minimise the risk by getting hold of a van or trailer and drive out there to the dealers premises to make sure it exists, with the money in cash . Have a good look at the bike , start it up and make sure it's ok and all the gears work etc , quick test ride if you can , (the Rotax engine can be a bit noisy naturally but it shouldn't sound like a bag of old nails or be blowing out blue smoke ) , check the paperwork carefully ,it should have a military release certificate (MOD654) if not road registered which you will need in order to UK register it , and only then if you're happy hand over the cash , get a receipt and bring the bike home with you.
check up if any VAT is payable anywhere too. (I bought my MT350 from a UK military disposal dealers and had to pay UK VAT as it was not previously civilian registered)
Treat it as an adventure

From past experience I have been to look at cars and bikes in the UK, you get to the sellers address and you get a gut reaction if something looks iffy with the vehicle or the seller and alarm bells start going in your head, and at that point you make an excuse and walk away.
This one may be totally legit, I'm not suggesting otherwise , just be careful .

But as has been said elsewhere, £3k is top dollar for one of these bikes

ps- Im along the coast near Portsmouth, if you wanted to pop over and have a look over an MT one eve next week (but Im not selling) and a chat you're welcome- my bike ins't as pretty as the one you have in mind though
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project