Got problems but still going!

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
Korky

Got problems but still going!

Post by Korky » Wed May 01, 2019 7:16 am

I've been commuting around 25 miles a day for a couple of years and the MT has been great. Recently it's started backfiring, on inspection noticed the inside of the exhaust by the back wheel has three rust holes. My speedo cable broke and the base gasket has started weeping. I have warn out a Metzler rear tyre in a year so I realize I need to start dipping into my pocket.
The bike is still running great apart from terrifying everyone (thinking there's a shooting) when shutting off the throttle.
Are there any new old stock exhaust systems around and how much? Is it ok to ride with a weeping base gasket?
Although I am working on my own building project I don't have any cash, so will I be Ok riding these problems? The speedo is still working but the cable is just pushed into the drive but somehow has lost it's retaining nut.
I would value advice as I am no mechanic and don't want to spoil my pride and joy.
0 x
H-D MT500
Land Rover Defender 300Tdi

Wirralman

Re: Got problems but still going!

Post by Wirralman » Wed May 01, 2019 8:03 am

Exhaust, engine blowing ,get in touch with Sportax

Tyres , see Top tips section for Vtr' s summary of tyres on the market. If you are using your bike for road work buy a road tyre. Personally, I would renew tube , and possibly rim tape if it's old , at the same time
1 x

Derrick
Global Moderator

Post by Derrick » Thu May 02, 2019 2:06 pm

I've just replaced the wheels on my MT350 and changed the tyres at the same time, so have a pair of Avon Distanzias for sale (3.5mm left on front and 5.5mm on the rear) if you are interested. I keep meaning to put them for sale but not got round to it now I've sold the wheel rims. Send me a PM if you are interested.
0 x
1997 HD MT350
2002 Honda Pan European 1300

Minter

Post by Minter » Fri May 03, 2019 5:30 pm

We do just the speedo inner cable which is about half the price of a complete inner and outer speedo cable..

Weeping base gasket and loss of oil.. Youll be down on a bit of power but keep topping up your oil and it will keep going! Cost of oil versus engine tune up - your call!

George AKA P.I.Staker does refurbed OEM silencers - drop him a PM..

Hope that helps..

Gary
Sportax Racing
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

hounddog
Global Moderator

Post by hounddog » Sat May 04, 2019 8:56 am

Just a thought, new Speedo cable is still cheaper than a fixed penalty next time you go though a speed trap :o

You may be able to bodge the exhaust with a bit of tin can fixed in place with repair paste and exhaust bandage , I've done that to get through an mot but it's not a long term fix
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project

giff

Post by giff » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:12 pm

corky chemical metal may help.its got me out of the sxxt loads of times,i could give you a bit of time on a sunday eve on my way home and give you a hand for the lens you gave me matey, :D
0 x

Bonnielad
Global Moderator

Post by Bonnielad » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:34 pm

WHAT? Who ever got a speeding ticket on an MT???? :lol:
1 x
1985 Armstrong MT500 "Black Bomber"'
1964 Triumph Tiger Cub TR20 Trials Works Replica
2019 Honda CB500X

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:22 pm

:evil: 8
Bonnielad wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:34 pm
WHAT? Who ever got a speeding ticket on an MT???? :lol:
I remember the North Wales guys stressing the need to observe the speed limits when in their patch on the way to the early MTRC events The boys in blue were keen on speeding offences. MTs found speeding ( ie 33+mph in a 30 zone) couldn't outrun police bikes on tarmac. I think it was cheaper to have more traffic cops than buy more ambulances and hospital beds.

I don't know if that's still the case today, Twmtomas would know although he has the skills to give his excuses in Welsh so he would get a discretionary ticking off no doubt
1 x

twmtomos1

Post by twmtomos1 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:41 am

on a serious note speeding in Wales the cops have changed the 50 mph on the A5 to 40mph in some places and its easy to forget ,also average speed cameras are every where ,a few weeks ago i was coming back home and 4 jap bikes were at my side trying to over take a few cars on some bends just as they squeased passed a cop car came the opposite way ,i havent seen this before ,he must of turned around and caught up with me with blue lights on so i waved him to pass and a few miles down the road he had caught up with the last of the 4 bikes and pulled him over ,times are changing quickly for bikes in Wales
1 x