3 row no. plates

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
mt bandit

3 row no. plates

Post by mt bandit » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:00 pm

hi all ,
i'm using one of my sorn v5's next month and I need a plate made ,
obviously i'll pop into halfords and get a legal one for the mot ,
But I want a 3 row 7" x 9" for afterwards as it's gona suit my bike better . i'm really struggling to find somewhere on line , I just want a yellow plate black letters
anyone recommend somewhere please
0 x
Africa twin 750
honda hornet 600 now sold :(
mt 500
mt560e
can am
divorce coming soon

hounddog
Global Moderator

Re: 3 row no. plates

Post by hounddog » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:25 pm

https://flexiplates.co.uk/portrait-vert ... how-plate/

I have used these , for show use only if course .....
3 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project

mt bandit

Post by mt bandit » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:05 pm

Thanks Ian
All ordered . For show reasons obviously
2 x
Africa twin 750
honda hornet 600 now sold :(
mt 500
mt560e
can am
divorce coming soon

Derrick
Global Moderator

Post by Derrick » Thu May 02, 2019 12:58 pm

No such thing as show plates these days. I think these now come from the Channel Isles, outside UK jurisdiction. The 3-line plates do fit better as the bike is built for the plate to be portrait format. 2-line landscape plates get too close to the exhaust, but should be fitted for the MOT.
0 x
1997 HD MT350
2002 Honda Pan European 1300

TJRL

Post by TJRL » Mon May 06, 2019 6:40 pm

I never had a problem with my MT's three line number plates at MoT time, are they covered in the list of things they check??
0 x
1997 MT350 (with 500e) - Sold 2014 :(
1999 MT350 (With 604e) - Sold 2018 :( :(
2014 F800 GT
2018 R1200RT LE
1960 SII Land Rover SWB SW

#skippy1970

Post by #skippy1970 » Mon May 06, 2019 9:01 pm

I too never had a problem for the MOT or questioned by the police
Think it looks a lot better
I remember old air head BMWs having this type fitted

0 x
If my brain was to get any smarter it would become self aware and take over my body

MT350 GL36AA

Bonnielad
Global Moderator

Post by Bonnielad » Wed May 08, 2019 8:02 am

MCN recently did an article on this:

Motorcycle number plate numbers should be on 2 lines. A rear number plates should be made from a reflective material, display black characters on a yellow background (white background if using a front plate) and have no background pattern.

The characters can be 3D (two-tone) and the font used must be "Charles Wright" (this has been the case since 2001).

Minimum size
There is no rule governing the size of the plate, but there are rules about the size and layout of the text which obviously limits how small you can go. Post 2001, the characters must be 64mm tall and 44mm wide (except the number 1 or letter I).

The thickness of the 'stroke' of the letters must be 10mm and the space between letters must be 10mm. The space between the age identifier and the random letters must be 30mm, and the vertical space between the age identifier and the random numbers must be 13mm.

Finally, there must be 11mm between the characters and the edge of the plate.

If you apply these rules logically, it would be possible to have a legal plate with the registration 'A1 III' which was considerably smaller than one with the registration 'A888 WWW'.

Displaying a flag
You can display one of the following flags with identifying letters on the left-hand side of the number plate:

Union Flag
Cross of St George (England)
Cross of St Andrew (Scotland)
Red Dragon (Wales)
The letters, or national identifiers, you can have are:

GREAT BRITAIN, Great Britain or GB
UNITED KINGDOM, United Kingdom or UK
CYMRU, Cymru, CYM or Cym
ENGLAND, England, ENG, Eng
SCOTLAND, Scotland, SCO or Sco
WALES or Wales
The flag must be above the identifier. You can’t have the flag or letters on the number plate margin, and neither can be more than 50 millimetres wide.

If you display the Euro symbol it must be a minimum height of 98mm, have a width between 40mm and 50mm, have a reflective, blue background with 12 reflecting yellow stars at the top and show the member state (GB) in reflecting white or yellow.

Bolt placement
Strategically placing bolts to form a different character or tweaking the spacing to spell out a message is illegal. Plates that are so dirty as to be illegible are also illegal.

The number plate must be legible and adhere to the rules so they're easy to read as they provide essential information about your vehicle to insurers, police and other drivers.

The punishment
Breaking the law in relation to number plates can lead to a significant fine (up to ÂŁ1000), a failed MOT and the loss of the plate (if it is a personal plate you will not get back the money you paid for it).

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and traffic officers are cracking down on number plate offences so now is the time to check your plates conform.
0 x
1985 Armstrong MT500 "Black Bomber"'
1964 Triumph Tiger Cub TR20 Trials Works Replica
2019 Honda CB500X

hounddog
Global Moderator

Post by hounddog » Wed May 08, 2019 8:50 am

Just in addition to this , it was legal to put a 3 line plate onto a bike before 2001. After that date you can't purchase a legal 3 line plate , because plate manufacturers are not allowed to make them . Now a plate has to show makers name and postcode. You can still buy a 3 liner but these are show plates not for road use. If you go to a registered supplier such as Halfords they will refuse to make you up a 3 liner , I have tried .
A lot of MT500 were civvy registered pre 2001 so if the plate was 3 line and put on then that's not a problem, still totally legal. ( But if you lose or break it a newly made plate should be 2 line to be legal) . If it's a 350 although the bike was made in the 1990s it will not have been civvy registered until after 2001 so the plate was made after that date and should strictly be 2 line .
Bearing in mind that an MT350 will carry an age related plate on a L to P reg , and other makes of bike registered around that era can legally carry 3 line old plates ,(BMW Boxers for example) it would take a very sharp MOT inspector or police officer to work out it is a post 2001 made plate. Nevertheless, if you run on an illegal plate you risk a fine etc so we as a club wouldn't advise anyone to break the law . If you use an undersize plate , or wrong colour or illegally spaced then in my opinion you are just inviting being pulled by the law if you come across a traffic cop having a slow day ( yes I know we don't see many these days) so I don't give them an excuse

here it is from DVLA re the post 2001 rule - see 2nd page
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 6/V796.pdf
2 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project

arceye

Post by arceye » Wed May 08, 2019 6:57 pm

In reality though there are not enough plod to worry about it.
Not been stopped ever on any bike.
Not been refused MOT ever for number plate.
If you don't kick the arse out of it or ride like a twat you will be fine.
That's me buggered now then... :roll:
2 x
MT 405
Phil

yeti341

Post by yeti341 » Wed May 08, 2019 9:12 pm

When I registered my 350 about 5 years ago I asked for a three line plate my local supplier checked with the dvla who said it was OK as the bike would have had a three line plate when it was supplied to the army ,
0 x