MT350 mirrors

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
adrian

MT350 mirrors

Post by adrian » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:51 pm

Just bought a 350 and love it but I find the mirrors almost useless. Lots of vibration through them making it almost impossible to see anything clearly. I have tightened up all the joints and adjusted the glass as best I can but not good. Has anyone changed them and what do you recommend?
0 x

twmtomos1

Re: MT350 mirrors

Post by twmtomos1 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:03 pm

have you got off road tyres on, that could cause the vibration
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:52 pm

Unfortunately these ball joints do wear and there is absolutely nothing you can do with them. The only solution is to go to the main suppliers and renew them

Given the you bought your bike from a dealer in Yorkshire and you've only just got it, you can't lose anything by giving him a call

I have seen two types fitted, the original ones with a ball joint at the base for easy adjustment and rigid ones that you can't adjust much , they have no ball joints

The smart guys remove mirrors when off roading, even though they will move if they hit something, every movement wears the joint.

When new there is a fair amount of shock absorbed so they are usable even with T63 tyres normally fitted, in time the mirrors just move. I've never tried them with out and out off road tyres but my guess is that mirrors would be useless

NB T63 are out of production now but there is an equivalent

As I said in reply to your opening post, go through your bike from front to back checking everything. .....
0 x

adrian

Post by adrian » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:37 pm

Yes, I have got off road tyres on it which are new. Just rode it 80 miles mostly on motorway and it runs beautifully and probably smoother in suspension than my Road King but mirrors still vibrating showing car headlights up like fast moving squiggles!
0 x

adrian

Post by adrian » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:39 pm

..and while I'm on does anyone know where you can get handlebar wind deflectors/shields for the hands which will fit leaving the branch deflectors in place?
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:45 pm

I got a couple of ex KTM shields which wrapped around the bark busters. At the handlebar end all that was needed was a longer Allen screw; the inboard mounting was too long so I cut a few centimetres off and drilled
holes to accept a clamp.

The bark busters provide protection, the shields just keep the wind off That said the KTM guards are pretty tough. I didn't buy new ones because I wasn't sure if they would fit. I also couldn't care less if they picked up more scratches

As for motorway riding with an MT, just a means to an end if you have nobblies on, they'll soon wear out. For better motorway manners fit different tyres. A few months ago member vtrsp... listed tyres that fit and their recommended usage.

Never fitted a shield personally but riders often do if they ride long road distances ( then remove them when it gets muddy)
0 x

appyarry

Post by appyarry » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:13 am

adrian wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:39 pm
..and while I'm on does anyone know where you can get handlebar wind deflectors/shields for the hands which will fit leaving the branch deflectors in place?
Have a look at http://www.mtridersclub.co.uk/viewtopic ... 0&start=20.
0 x
MT 604e :-)
Serveta Jet 200
Triumph Tigress 250
BSA C15 to be rebuilt as Scrambler
Sinclair Goddard PowerPak
Kalkhoff Endeavour 11 Speed Hub