New mt.350

Before you can go any further, you must make an short introductory post here. Once you have done that you will get full access.
Forum rules
Please write a quick introduction. Which MT do you have or which one are you yearning for!....

Once we have been introduced, one of the admin team will upgrade your registration to standard.

Please note that if you are joining only to sell something, even if its an MT, you MUST ask first or your post will be deleted.

All new members are required to complete their locations (approximate) in your Profile and you are welcome to add your position in the 'Phoogle' map. Full instructions below.

Users who post less than 1 post per month may find their registration removed, this is our housekeeping not being militant!

Persevere - we're worth it!

Any probs or questions, please email us using the 'Contact Us' button at the top of your page.
Will

New mt.350

Post by Will » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:22 pm

Hi all ,have just returned to two wheels after a 25 year break .have just bought an MT350 which has stood since last spring .seems ok for age . started ok at point of sale .but not fired since unloading ,will check plug ,refresh fuel etc tomorrow.any suggestions that will save me swearing are most welcome.currently turns on the button with no hint of firing .off to search for wisdom on the forum now .my last ride was an A10 in the days before computers .so with the mt im moving forward in technology.thanks in advance for any tips.Will
0 x

hounddog
Global Moderator

Re: New mt.350

Post by hounddog » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:34 pm

kill switch ? when looking at it you should see a picture of a horseshoe shape with a X through it (which isnt logical)

modern fuel goes stale - drain the carb and tank and put fresh in
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project

Minter

Post by Minter » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:46 pm

Welcome to the forum Will,

Something simple no doubt just like Houndog says..

Ive been working on these MT's for over 30 years if you get really stuck!

Gary
Sportax Racing

01952 850802
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

twmtomos1

Post by twmtomos1 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:04 pm

the kill switch works opposite way ,good luck ,and welcome to the club
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:15 pm

As Hounddog says, it's worth undoing the grub screw at the bottom of the carb so that you know you have fresh fuel ( assuming there IS fuel in the tank and it is fresh)

Fuel tap on ? Is enrichener ( lever on left of handlebar) turned FULLY on

Try kill switch in both positions. ( Don't get confused with the black out switch)

Try hooking up an additional battery in parallel ( If no additional battery available just charging may help. Batteries on MTs can die at the drop of a hat, fine first thing in the morning but like a dodo by noon

Clean all major electrical connectors ( The earth behind the horn is often corroded)

If it ran recently , there can't be much wrong

If it doesn't start after a few goes, have a cup of tea and come back to it ( NB This isn't for your well being. If attempts have made the plug wet it will dry out whilst you're slurping )

Next steps
Do you have a spark ? Unscrew the plug hold it so that the side touches the engine and press the starter, you should see a spark. If you have no spark/weak spark it will never fire

My bet ? A weak battery that isn't spinning the engine fast enough Kickstarting is possible and easy if everything is in good order and technique is good

PS When it does start, ride it straight away Coax it for the first 3 miles then reduce enrichener to half, ride another 2miles and knock it off completely NB clutch may feel notch until engine is hot

Mandatory to grin as in Cheshire Cat when it runs !
0 x

P.I.STAKER

Post by P.I.STAKER » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:13 pm

HI Will and welcome to the forum

good luck with the bike

https://sites.google.com/site/gvsparts/
0 x
ARMSTRONG MT500 1984
BMW R1100S

Force Motorcycles

Post by Force Motorcycles » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:45 am

Welcome to the forum Will :)

Force
0 x
Force Motorcycles - The World's Largest MT350 and MT500 Parts Dealer

The UK's Exclusive and Official ROTAX Parts Dealer

:arrow: Visit Our Online Store

:arrow: Follow Force Motorcycles on Facebook!

Will

Post by Will » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:21 pm

Thanks all for the help,
It was the kill switch .
Sorry I’ve not replied sooner I’m not good on computers and have only just found the replies.
I’ve been enjoying the bike and have been finding and solving small issues.iam at the moment changing oil ,renewing friction plates and a few other bits and pieces . Amongst which is the non return valve which was allowing the oil to drain back down .
Now the big question.
THERE IS ABOUT 1INCH OF OIL IN THE TIMING CASE
I know the none return valve was not working.but should I be looking for other issues or can I ignore this without dire consequences.?
Thanks in advance for your expertise.Will.
0 x

twmtomos1

Post by twmtomos1 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:31 pm

Hi Will ,do you mean the oil was in the cambelt cover or were the clutch plates are ? there shouldnt be any oil in the cambelt cover ,but you will get oil were the clutch plates are
0 x

Pewter

Post by Pewter » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:43 pm

Whilst there shouldn’t be any oil in the timing case where the belt is, there is a small drain hole in the bottom of the cover which can block up. If oil is getting into the case, possibly the cam and/or crank seal need changing. Clean it all out and run the engine with the cover off to see if you can seep where the oil is coming from.
0 x