Chain & sprockets

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
walshy53

Chain & sprockets

Post by walshy53 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:49 pm

Hi all,
Having cleared my 350 of all the cobwebs & readying her for the road, I’ve stripped the rear (leaking) caliper ready to rebuild & thought a new chain would be in order while I’m at it. I was thinking Non o-ring possibly. Sprockets look ok but might go 1 tooth up on the front maybe if it would help top end?
Any input/experience is appreciated :mrgreen:
0 x

Wirralman

Re: Chain & sprockets

Post by Wirralman » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:49 pm

If you Search through the forum, you will find references to using different front sprockets. I think the consensus is that a standard 350 doesn't really have the torque to cope with a one-tooth increase and leads to cog-swapping at the hint of an uphill road. But, the only way to see if it suits you and the riding you do is to try it

If your rear caliper is leaking, I'd get a refurb kit for the rear master at the same time Some would point out the age of standard brake lines and recommend replacement also For good measure caliper spring and pin could be replaced
0 x

Jooles

Post by Jooles » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:33 pm

I think the non-o ring chains are best suited to road use only, having said that, personally I prefer and always use the o ring type. I think the majority of MT's use them, which can be a bonus if you are riding as a group and happen to need to borrow a split-link. I've seen two bikes in need of a link, both were opposite to the links available. Point to note, carry a few links of chain & 2 spare split links.
With regards to a bigger front sprocket, I think a 16 tooth is best suited for mainly motorway use. For towns and If any off-road work is in mind, then stay at 15
0 x
Jooles
MT350 for the weekend
XJ600 for the week

hounddog
Global Moderator

Post by hounddog » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:37 pm

In my experience a 16 tooth on a 350 is ok for A roads and motorways for long runs as long as you don't go up too many hills ,. Hint of a hill or strong headwind and youre into 4th .
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project

Minter

Post by Minter » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:54 am

Some good advice above.. mine would be to stick with standard gearing and an O ring chain.

We use 16t final drive sprockets on our 405cc kits. You won't have to change down at the hint of a hill and be capable of 100mph on the German Autobahns!
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link