Starting and choke

Harrisg80

Starting and choke

Post by Harrisg80 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:18 pm

Not having had my 500 long I am learning about its foibles!

Last week the valve timing shifted yet the belt and pulleys were fine.Reset and with adjusted valves a 30 mile test run went well.

unused since then I failed to start it today. No changes made in the interim.Admittedly severe foot pain from plantar facilities in both feet does not make it easy for me to kick it over yet so far the problems were surmountable.

I tried with choke.without. Halfway. Fuel on.fuel off.Timing cover off to see the timing marks still align..nothing,just pops in the exhaust.

Compression is immense one minute then negligible the next.Very odd.

As for choke I do not know which way is on/off.Neither way affects the running..when it does!!
My book says clockwise is on,yet this is the opposite of the norm as the cable is slack.

Having had bikes for 45 yrs and built several I am not a numpty but this one puzzles me.Is there a definitive starting technique?
Thanks
0 x

landy man

Re: Starting and choke

Post by landy man » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:26 pm

Kick it hard,then again and again!
Took me a while to get the knack of starting my 500 but I got there in the end(never wear slippers) :o
First or second kick every time now and that's after 3 years of learning 'the knack'.
0 x
1985 MT500 Green...07 KE 57.
1972 series 3 Lightweight,GS,Green.Waddington strike command
1978 Series 3 Lightweight,GS,light stone.Black watch 1st battalion
1959 Triumph 5TA speed twin.
1964 series 2A landy.

appyarry

Re: Starting and choke

Post by appyarry » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:04 pm

Harrisg80 wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:18 pm
As for choke I do not know which way is on/off.Neither way affects the running..when it does!!
My book says clockwise is on,yet this is the opposite of the norm as the cable is slack.

Having had bikes for 45 yrs and built several I am not a numpty but this one puzzles me.Is there a definitive starting technique?
Thanks
The choke sounds like it needs sorting first. The video I saw of someone starting a 500 in bare feet, he just kicked it over gently a couple of times and it just burst into life! I tried it on my 350 and it worked, more a sort of keep it going rather than a heavy kick!

Good luck!
0 x
MT 604e :-)
Serveta Jet 200
Triumph Tigress 250
BSA C15 to be rebuilt as Scrambler
Sinclair Goddard PowerPak
Kalkhoff Endeavour 11 Speed Hub