New first time owner

Before you can go any further, you must make an short introductory post here. Once you have done that you will get full access.
Forum rules
Please write a quick introduction. Which MT do you have or which one are you yearning for!....

Once we have been introduced, one of the admin team will upgrade your registration to standard.

Please note that if you are joining only to sell something, even if its an MT, you MUST ask first or your post will be deleted.

All new members are required to complete their locations (approximate) in your Profile and you are welcome to add your position in the 'Phoogle' map. Full instructions below.

Users who post less than 1 post per month may find their registration removed, this is our housekeeping not being militant!

Persevere - we're worth it!

Any probs or questions, please email us using the 'Contact Us' button at the top of your page.
Curt

New first time owner

Post by Curt » Tue May 15, 2018 9:31 am

Hi My name is Curt. I live in Cornwall and have just purchased a 1996 350. I am collecting it this afternoon. My other bike is a Yamaha Vmax 1200 full power, I've owned it since new, 2002 and have only done 11000 on it. It is getting a bit heavy for me, so I'm looking forward to a lighter ride. Also the merest puddle results in a 2 day clean for the Vmax!
There are a few mods I'm thinking of and I look forward to the assistance that I'm assured by the previous owner, this forum can provide.
0 x

Wirralman

Re: New first time owner

Post by Wirralman » Tue May 15, 2018 9:46 am

Welcome aboard
You won't need to spend as much time cleaning an MT !

I'd spend time going through your new bike from end to end before doing mods, some bikes have had lots of care, others the bare minimum Manuals are available on free download from Joth's site
0 x

Curt

Post by Curt » Tue May 15, 2018 10:07 am

Thank you. The vendor, a member of this club knows his stuff. It comes with; 2 sets of wheels, loads of spares, 2 saddles, manuals, tutorials, even the paint. I will take your advice of course and not mess with it, if at all until I know it inside out. The mod I was thinking of is the seat height. I have a 30" leg and will be on tip toes. The previous owner has put the lowered saddle on for me, but I imagine the dreaded numb bum will strike. My insurance starts at noon today and I'll get it then, it's only 6 miles away, really looking forward to it.
0 x

Force Motorcycles

Post by Force Motorcycles » Tue May 15, 2018 11:38 am

Welcome to the forum!

Force
0 x
Force Motorcycles - The World's Largest MT350 and MT500 Parts Dealer

The UK's Exclusive and Official ROTAX Parts Dealer

:arrow: Visit Our Online Store

:arrow: Follow Force Motorcycles on Facebook!

Bonnielad
Global Moderator

Post by Bonnielad » Tue May 15, 2018 12:17 pm

Welcome aboard Curt. I hope it gives you many hours of trouble free enjoyment.... A bit like a new girlfriend. She will enjoy getting down and dirty and do anything to please you. :lol:
0 x
1985 Armstrong MT500 "Black Bomber"'
1964 Triumph Tiger Cub TR20 Trials Works Replica
2013 BMW F800GS Adventure

Jooles

Post by Jooles » Tue May 15, 2018 12:29 pm

Welcome aboard Curt. A friend of mine has a VMax, so the 350 will certainly take some getting used too.....
With regard to the seat height, I suffer with the same only being able to touch the floor with your toenails. I have fitted a set of MT500 replacement Paioli shock absorbers to the rear, lowered the front forks through the yoke about an inch, and shortened the side stand. Riding is now a pleasure.
Good Luck,
0 x
Jooles
MT350 for the weekend
XJ600 for the week

sparky

Post by sparky » Tue May 15, 2018 2:20 pm

On mine I dropped the forks in the yokes 40mm and bought 400mm Hagons which were 40mm shorter. Order direct from Hagon and you can have the spring to suit your weight and type of riding. I also shortened the side stand and welded a peg on so I can flip the stand down before getting off. It makes a world of difference to the riding! Cheers Dave.
0 x
1994 MT350
1960 AJS model 20
1960 Matchless 650 CSR
1999 BMW F650ST

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Tue May 15, 2018 5:41 pm

The shortest MT owner I am aware of is 5ft3 1/2in I think he used all of the methods mentioned forks, seat sculpting and short shocks

MT500 shocks are about 1 1/2 inches shorter and are a straight swap Front fork lowering only takes 20 minutes

One other factor is tyres, T63 shod biknes had seat about 1/2 taller than Distanzia ( Both tyres have been replaced by newer models but the height difference may still be there)
0 x

Curt

Post by Curt » Sun May 20, 2018 10:13 am

Thank you to everyone for your advice. I have a non stock skinny saddle and front forks down by 30ml. It's better now.
0 x

Curt

Post by Curt » Sun May 20, 2018 10:23 am

I forgot to say; the bike has been looked after very well, but not ridden for 3 years. The bike was trailered to the MOT ( no advisories). So when I picked it up to ride it 6 miles to my home ( very lucky local find), it was having it's first run for years. Sadly I forgot to ensure that the back brake was free. The front had been replaced the day before, following new seals and fork rebuild ( all at vendor's expense). So when I got home I was enveloped in a cloud of smoke! I immediately recognised the smell of DOT fluid, but burning plastic was a new one on me. My wife who followed me said I left a trail of stinky fumes behind me! There was me thinking that people looking at me were admiring my nice old MT!
It's booked in for tomorrow, I'm not competent enough to mess with brakes. I hope there won't be any problems.
0 x