Dating by frame number

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
Discostew38

Dating by frame number

Post by Discostew38 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:59 pm

Hi
I've searched and found stuff but now I'm confused
I have a MT350 I need to register I took it down for the mot and the tester said he needs to know the build date or at least a year

My frame number is
1HD6RLT18SY------

Am I right in saying its a 1995 but what month or don't it matter

I have no paper work for this bike
The bloke I bought it from had lost it
I believe he bought it from someone on here

Thanks
0 x

deadgrass.

Re: Dating by frame number

Post by deadgrass. » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:24 pm

send your frame no ,
bike model to here.

mailto:DESSec-FOI@mod.uk

if you are luck they will still have info ,last one i did they said they were ending the merlin record system

dave.
2 x
born to be waserk
thank god for atheism.
sometimes your front legs need to be stiff and the fur on your arse vertical.

Bunker
Site Admin

Post by Bunker » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:56 pm

If you use the search box for something like

17 digit vin

you will get the answers you need.
Cheers
0 x
HD MT500e 'Bunk'
HD MT604e MTourer project

You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:59 pm

Do a forum search on ' Vin number explained' and you will find your answer

If you wish to pm me your Vin mumber I think i still have the check digit weighting to confirm that your check digit is correct That said I don't know whether the DVLA actually check to see whether or not you are trying to register a valid number
1 x

AWJD

Post by AWJD » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:46 am

Discostew38. I would have thought you could simply make up a date just to get it through the MOT. Unfortunately, I think that it is likely to be the least of your problems. I have a lot of experience in registering classic British bikes and I don't think registering the MT350 is any different. If the vehicle has never previously been registered with DVLA, you have a choice between applying for an age related registration plate or a Q plate. To go down the first route you would need a Dating Certificate from an authorised club which, in your case, would not be possible because I don't think anyone has the despatch records for the HD. To go down the Q plate route, I think you would need to go through the type approval process with an IVA or MSVA inspection. Your other problem is that the bike is imported and so you would need to apply for a NOVA certificate which is a further pain. All in all, without any documentation, getting your HD registered will be an enormous challenge. Sorry :(
1 x
1985 Armstrong MT500 (Fun Bike)
1996 Harley MT350e
1987 Armstrong MT560e
1997 Honda XR250R Ex-Army
1966 BSA B40WD
1971 BSA B50T
1973 BSA B50MX

2007 Suzuki GSX1400 (Workhorse)

Minter

Post by Minter » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:08 am

As Deadgrass mentioned above - use that link and information to request a duplicate 654 form. Having its military VRN will help. From there its a simple case of completing a V55, MOT, taxing insuring etc.

The 17 digit frame number will reveal when and where it was built too! The info is on here! The 654 will also contain all the relevant info you need to complete the the V55 and get an age related plate.

Good luck and have fun with your new bike!
1 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:41 am

I would be very surprised if any MTs were made anywhere other than the York plant As the lowest productìon quantity of any HD Years ago a now lapsed forum member from USA said that he actually worked at the plant back in the day

The Q plate was used more commonly in years gone by but the practice is less commom these days, I don't know whether it is still used However, even if it is you may find it very difficult to get insurance cover on a Q plate.

The model year is embedded within the frame number but note the model year may not be the actual year of your bike Members have reported for example 1996 frame number bikes being registered in December 1995
1 x