What helmet?

Old Diggerdogk9

What helmet?

Post by Old Diggerdogk9 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:27 pm

Getting really sick of my lid caburg flip up
It's noisy, too short in the chin and become uncomfortable around the ears
And worst of all terrible for steaming up tried pinlock with not much luck
Seems short of fresh air vents to clear visor

It used to fit quite well maybe my head has changed?

Looking at either the roof or shark flip over as I wear glasses and like having open face sometimes any one had any experience with these?

Look forward to your thoughts
0 x

Dave_S_MT

Re: What helmet?

Post by Dave_S_MT » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:01 pm

How long have you had the helmet? If its more than 7/8 years theres a fair chance the internal padding has "gone off" and won't be fitting as well. My Craft helmet did that (was gutted, loved that lid!).

I recently bought an open face helmet with integral hidden flip down visor. Nice helmet for pottering around, but not great for longer runs over 50/60 mph....
0 x

Old Diggerdogk9

Post by Old Diggerdogk9 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:56 pm

Dave_S_MT wrote:How long have you had the helmet? If its more than 7/8 years theres a fair chance the internal padding has "gone off" and won't be fitting as well. My Craft helmet did that (was gutted, loved that lid!).

I recently bought an open face helmet with integral hidden flip down visor. Nice helmet for pottering around, but not great for longer runs over 50/60 mph....
Had it around 4 years and it's getting worse in my opinion all the foam seems in good order it was the cheaper end of the range so maybe now I'm paying the price . I still have a lid that's prob 20 years old open face with visor and it's still as comfortable as when it was new only difference is that's fiberglass as to molded plastic but the age thing always at the back of your mind, so don't like using it really
0 x

Dave_S_MT

Post by Dave_S_MT » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:15 pm

Lots changed in helmet manufacturing - I think the more modern helmets have better lining but it does seem to degrade. My Craft started shedding fibres at the end, which was a bad sign! Not sure what the lining in the older lids was like.
0 x

Bury_Dave

Post by Bury_Dave » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:09 pm

Late reply but I use a Davida Ninety. Low noise and weight and great peripheral vision. I use a skullcap liner in merino wool too to keep the liner a little cleaners though it is leather.

I feel too claustrophobic in full face helmets and have broken several sets of glasses trying to push them down the sides of the helmet. With an open face I find I can don the helmet with them on.
0 x