Monty

ellrider

Re: Monty

Post by ellrider » Wed May 06, 2009 9:12 pm

truslack wrote:Technically there is no such thing as a "daylight MOT", though if you have no position lamps you will get an advisory that it should only be used in daylight hours, and not in conditions of reduced visibility.

Hope this helps.

Mark
I'll have to have a word with my MOT tester because he ran through a list of what wasn't needed for a daylight MOT. Either that or I misunderstood what he was saying.
0 x
Be who you are and say what you feel because those that
matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter!

Franc

Post by Franc » Wed May 06, 2009 9:42 pm

Smokey73 wrote:I have never had a chain guard on Monty and he passed no problems.
I not sure that it is a requirement. i have heard that indecators and mirros and also not required, however if they are fitted they must work..(please feel free to quote me if i am wrong :roll: )
I will need to get a rear reflector (thanks eddie :D ) as it was pointed out to me that i don't have one.
Right this one I do know,
You do not have to have mirrors, but if you have a left one fitted then the Right one must also be present, however you can get away with a solo right hand mirror only (overtaking vehicles pass you on the right).
Indicators do not have to be present on any bike made before 1985, however if they are present they must work.
Every production road going bike post 1985 to pass UK regulations was manufactured with indicators, therefore they MUST be present and working correctly.
Only know this due to ripping a set of indicators off a Vespa only for it to fail on these points :roll:
0 x

truslack

Post by truslack » Wed May 06, 2009 9:47 pm

ellrider wrote: I'll have to have a word with my MOT tester because he ran through a list of what wasn't needed for a daylight MOT. Either that or I misunderstood what he was saying.
Daylight MOT is a commonly recognised term, but has no legal difference to a standard MOT. No lights are needed (not even a brake light).
petrolhead74 wrote:Every production road going bike post 1985 to pass UK regulations was manufactured with indicators, therefore they MUST be present and working correctly.
Fraid not, you don't need indicators to pass an MOT. If you DO have an indicator switch, all 4 indicators must work correctly, flashing between 60-120 times per min (off the top of my head). It is not compulsory to have indicators fitted to any motorcycle. (Though I may be corrected on that one)

an MT can class as an offroad vehicle designed only to carry the one rider, so doesn't need indicators.
0 x
1981 Suzuki GSX250E - Commuter
1986 Armstrong MT500 - Work horse - Needs engine rebuild
1987 Armstrong MT500 - Sidecar bike
1987 Suzuki RG125 - Project
1988 MZ ETZ 300

truslack

Post by truslack » Wed May 06, 2009 9:54 pm

This inspection applies to: all machines, except those which have neither front nor rear position lamps, or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are
. only used during daylight hours, and
. not used at times of seriously reduced visibility

If this situation occurs the vehicle presenter should be issued with a VT32 (advisory notice) recording the above.
That is the exact wording from the MOT testers handbook that gets you a "Daylight MOT" - as you can see, it doesn't say give a difference certificate, just an advisory to show it should only be used in daylight.

Mark
0 x
1988 MZ ETZ 300

Franc

Post by Franc » Wed May 06, 2009 10:07 pm

truslack wrote:
ellrider wrote: I'll have to have a word with my MOT tester because he ran through a list of what wasn't needed for a daylight MOT. Either that or I misunderstood what he was saying.
Daylight MOT is a commonly recognised term, but has no legal difference to a standard MOT. No lights are needed (not even a brake light).
petrolhead74 wrote:Every production road going bike post 1985 to pass UK regulations was manufactured with indicators, therefore they MUST be present and working correctly.
Fraid not, you don't need indicators to pass an MOT. If you DO have an indicator switch, all 4 indicators must work correctly, flashing between 60-120 times per min (off the top of my head). It is not compulsory to have indicators fitted to any motorcycle. (Though I may be corrected on that one)

an MT can class as an offroad vehicle designed only to carry the one rider, so doesn't need indicators.
This will be why the Vespa failed then, should have stuck some knobblies on it and taken it back in :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

morpheus

Post by morpheus » Thu May 07, 2009 11:08 am

0 x

Franc

Post by Franc » Thu May 07, 2009 11:30 am

The way I understood this is that all ROAD going machines above a moped status after 1986 are suppose to have indicators, but if all lights and indicators are removed then thats ok so long as you ride it in clear weather and during the recognised daylight hours :?
Whereas anything with long suspension and slightly knobbly tyres can go without indicators (bit like agriutural machinery).
0 x

mart

Post by mart » Thu May 07, 2009 8:06 pm

our mot place WILL FAIL without hesitation if no indicators fitted as its classed as a road going bike registered after 86 , if a secondary reflector is not fitted, and definate fail for no chain guard, also made our ian wire up his side light in the h/lamp because it could be seen so had to work.
0 x

truslack

Post by truslack » Thu May 07, 2009 8:45 pm

mart wrote:our mot place WILL FAIL without hesitation if no indicators fitted as its classed as a road going bike registered after 86 , if a secondary reflector is not fitted, and definate fail for no chain guard, also made our ian wire up his side light in the h/lamp because it could be seen so had to work.
Sidelight shouldn't need to work on a bike with a headlight.

Mark
0 x
1988 MZ ETZ 300