New bike - 'before' pix

bestcraft

New bike - 'before' pix

Post by bestcraft » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:26 pm

Hi everybody,

Got my MT500 on Monday and intended to post some 'before' pics. However, I got a bit carried away taking bits off of it, so I thought I`d better take a few pictures while there is still something left to photograph !!!
The rough plan is to strip it down to a bare frame and give it a good coat of NATO green and then put it all back together, sorting out the bits as they go back on.
Most of all, I dont want to get drawn into a full restoration/rebuild, as I really want to get out and ride the thing - time wil tell . . . .

Anyway - (hopefuly) a few pics: The complete bike is as advertised on 'evilbay', the other 2 taken after a bit of investigation !
Attachments
Photo0310.jpg
Photo0310.jpg (191.02 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
Photo0306.jpg
Photo0306.jpg (199.11 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
mt500a.jpg
mt500a.jpg (32.45 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
0 x

TDIPower

Re: New bike - 'before' pix

Post by TDIPower » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:50 pm

you're going to end up restoring it... you know it :)

pete
0 x
MT350

morpheus

Post by morpheus » Fri May 01, 2009 6:44 am

I wondered who bought that blue one off eBay - looks like a good, solid project.

Does it run OK?

Morpheus
0 x

Bunker
Site Admin

Post by Bunker » Fri May 01, 2009 8:40 am

Ill be interested to see if it is a genuine blue one, if so Id be tempted to swap some panels with you so I can keep them in the 'Archives'. When you get time, will you mail me the frame and engine numbers for the record please?

Thanks
0 x
HD MT500e 'Bunk'
HD MT604e MTourer project

You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

truslack

Post by truslack » Fri May 01, 2009 8:56 am

Bunker wrote:Ill be interested to see if it is a genuine blue one, if so Id be tempted to swap some panels with you so I can keep them in the 'Archives'. When you get time, will you mail me the frame and engine numbers for the record please?

Thanks
Were any blue ones made? I thought it was just Red, white and green. Could have a nice patriotic Red White and Blue convoy :lol:

Mark
0 x
1981 Suzuki GSX250E - Commuter
1986 Armstrong MT500 - Work horse - Needs engine rebuild
1987 Armstrong MT500 - Sidecar bike
1987 Suzuki RG125 - Project
1988 MZ ETZ 300

bestcraft

Post by bestcraft » Fri May 01, 2009 11:51 am

Apparently the bike has been standing for about 6 years, so although I was assured it 'did' run, i thought it best to give it a good look over first. The carb to head rubber is certainly past its best and the carb seems to contain a blue/green glue, so I think it all needs a good clean out. The engine is covered in a gritty oily mess at the moment, (not sand I hope), but I shall take it out to paint the frame and probably drop the head off and have a poke about over the next few weeks or so.

With regard to the 'blue', Ididn`t realise they came in blue either - The mudguards have been painted whitish, but seem to be green underneath. I will have a better look at the tank/panels & headlight surround. If they are of some significance, I have no problem in swapping them for some green ones, as I wish to return the bike to green anyway.

I will look out the seriel numbers etc & forward them on.

John
0 x

Bunker
Site Admin

Post by Bunker » Sat May 02, 2009 9:42 am

Im certain Alan Clews told me they made some blue ones for Northern Ireland aswell as the red and white ones. Are the panels blue all the way through or just painted?
0 x
HD MT500e 'Bunk'
HD MT604e MTourer project

You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.