I need help !!!!

As it says on the tin
Brav1to

I need help !!!!

Post by Brav1to » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:47 pm

Hi guys

I truly need help. This is a complicated situation i I don’t know what to do, so I’m hoping some advice from you guys. I’m not a mechanic despite of the passion.
Truly thank you in advance.

So the situation is as follows. I took my mt350 to my 2/3 year mechanic, he used to be very good when he was in his house garage, now he has an open shop and it feels that you lost value as customer even if you help in like growing up.
I took my bike on the 9th of November to check the battery that was all over the place and the back breaking light that was not working, he told me he would have a look and to collect on the 16th. On the 15th night I’ve asked him what time could I collect, the answer was that the battery has been replaced but that the bike wasn’t ready and he needed more time to “check the wiring issue somewhere on the loom”, on the 18th I’ve asked if it would be ready for the 21st since I had a ride organised, I didn’t had a reply till the 22nd, where he says that “the issue is looking more serious and needs to be striped further, probably circuit brake” but he couldn’t find one online and had already spent hours on the bike but “ needed to look more in depth”. I’ve replied that I’ve found one online straight away and sent him a picture asking if I should buy it? He replied that he wasn’t sure which one had potentially failed. On the27th of November he text me saying “I’ve found the issue, the copper contact inside the rear light cluster is damaged and the copper coating has come away”!it requires replacement but if I wanted to save some £££ he could wire some leds into the existing one and that will overrule the current set up. My reply was whatever is faster at this point… then he replies “after further looking it would be actually quicker just to buy the rear light, witch I did around £80. On the 29th of November texted him that the light would be with him tomorrow the 30th, he replied that actually was already there but after installation the problem persisted. I’ve asked so what now??? Reply “ leave it with us I’ll keep checking but believe that a short occurred somewhere “. I’ve patiently waited for an update and on the 20th on December asked for one and said “ is starting to touch the ridiculous “, the reply was” you can pick it up after Christmas “ so I’ve asked but is it ready?? No reply till the 8th of January where says “your bike had a very difficult electric fault but we managed to trace and sort it. All that is missing is the MOT” he would check if anything was available for this week. I’ve replied great please book that asap. Today 11th asked for an update and I get a reply where he says “ we took the bike to the MOT but upon arrival the issue came back” and he suggested that he could try to take the bike during the daytime to see if he could deceive the guys in the MOT.
I still haven’t replied but I obviously refuse to do this even because the problem still persists, he says he spent probably around 12 hours on the bike… I truly don’t know what to do anymore and if anyone could give some advice would be so appreciated….

Thanks guys, apologies for the long text
Warm regards
Be safe
Brav1to
1 x

Wirralman

Re: I need help !!!!

Post by Wirralman » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:56 pm

What to do ? Easy

Take your bike to Sportax Racing -60 miles from you but he is THE expert on MTs
1 x

Vtrsp1da

Post by Vtrsp1da » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:02 pm

As these machines get older more and more issues arise.

As mentioned Sportax racing are the guys or force motorcycles.

Bike shops seem to struggle with these machines.
Last edited by Vtrsp1da on Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Laurence

Post by Laurence » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:45 pm

I struggle to believe 12 hours to not resolve a rear light issue..
1 x
..VFR 400..
..MT 350..
..Enfield Explorer..

arceye

Post by arceye » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:54 pm

Sounds like a cowboy to me. :o
Refuse to pay him and report him.
2 x
Electric start conversions, Front Racks and Rear 350 Racks Fabricated to order.
MT 555,2 Armstrong projects,
2 CCM Armstrong projects.

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:10 pm

arceye wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:54 pm
Sounds like a cowboy to me. :o
Refuse to pay him and report him.
I certainly wouldn't pay him for any work. Small claims court is the place if there's a problem

Not too sure who you could actually report him to, Trading Standards ? The big BUT is that you could get tangled up in dispute, is it worth the hassle ?
1 x

Brav1to

Post by Brav1to » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:27 pm

Thank guys, the thing is I don’t want to collect until is done, cause I don’t want to pay for something that is not done, I even don’t mind paying something but for sure not 12 hours and bring the bike in the same state that it went.
The true is that he can say as many hours as he wants there is nothing to show in the end.
I really don’t want to go legally, that would be a pain in the ass. I just want my baby back even cause I use it to commute. I really appreciate the help I was going a bit crazy, a job of a week became almost 2 months…
1 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:24 pm

I'm afraid I don't understand- you ask for help and describe how your mechanic has repeatedly failed. It's easier for those who aren't in the situation to take an objective view.

From what you have said this chap is incapable of fixing your MT. If he hasn't solved your problem by now, you may wait months and be no further on. If you take it / ship it to Sportax you will swiftly get a working bike which will pass an MOT.
2 x

Brav1to

Post by Brav1to » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:28 am

Well yeah your right, it’s easier for someone from the outside to read the situation, yeah that’s what I’ll do… I guess I was just trying to avoid the probable confrontation for this 12 hours of work…

Truly appreciated
0 x

Bonnielad
Global Moderator

Post by Bonnielad » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:45 pm

Take somebody with you = far less chance of aggro if you have a witness.
The thing to remember for the future is that whatever problem you have, the chances are that many of us have "been there, done that, got the T-shirt". People that don't know the bikes stand far less chance of understanding their quirks. There's always someone in the club that can help, but Gary at Sportax is THE Guru.
Best of luck.
1 x
2024 (2012) CCM MT230
2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
2002 BMW F650GS