in line filter

An area for our suppliers to tell us about new products/ offers or trading news.
Kim Thomas

in line filter

Post by Kim Thomas » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:46 pm

Any recommendations for an inline filter for an MT500?

Every time I look, they all seem too long for the length of hose between the petrol tank and the carb. I'd almost have no hose left.
0 x
Armstrong MT 500 (1985). Yamaha T7 Rally (2022)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance" Confucius --- I must be very knowledgeable then!
“The greater our knowledge increases, the greater our ignorance unfolds.”― John F. Kennedy

Force Motorcycles

Re: in line filter

Post by Force Motorcycles » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:18 pm

Hi Kim,

I know what you mean, but they are pretty much the length they need to be.

It would be best to exaggerate and extend the length and routing of the fuel pipe to accommodate the filter in a convenient easily accessible place.

Force
0 x
Force Motorcycles - The World's Largest MT350 and MT500 Parts Dealer

The UK's ONLY Exclusive and Official ROTAX Parts Dealer

:arrow: Visit Our Online Store

:arrow: Follow Force Motorcycles on Facebook!

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:16 pm

Google on ' motorcycle inline filters' . I can't remember the make I used but it was plastic and a tight fit on an MT350 - it replaced the anti-tilt valve, it tucked in leaving little space for connecting tubes. Be sure to buy a motorcycle filter rather than a car filter- a car filter creates too much resistance to fuel flow.

I used a parallel sided plastic filter that moulded over time into a bend around the frame. It was flushable. That said the filter caught very little, I used the POR15 products to etch clean the tank then seal it, also I found the fuel tap full of dirt. I did three MT tanks and they were all the same.

Once the tank is sealed, it won't rust so the filter has little dirt to catch but dust particles will still get through to the float bowl. A case of prevention being better than cure, seal the tank, clean the tap and you'll find a filter has little to do, drop the float bowl every few years and clean out any dust
0 x

hounddog
Global Moderator

Post by hounddog » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:49 am

From personal experience advise get a quality filter. I once used a cheap plastic ebay job and it went brittle and snapped in half after a few months . There are anodised ones with removable washable filters available which are pretty good .
Also , with some filters there is a right and wrong way round , wrong way restricts fuel flow
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Amstrong MT500e - "Trigger's broom"

Kim Thomas

Post by Kim Thomas » Wed May 03, 2023 12:34 pm

So i bought this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362197192074

and a new 1m length of new 6mm fuel line, but to get this to fit, the fuel line snake around under the seat.
0 x
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance" Confucius --- I must be very knowledgeable then!
“The greater our knowledge increases, the greater our ignorance unfolds.”― John F. Kennedy

lardmarc

Post by lardmarc » Wed May 03, 2023 12:43 pm

Kim Thomas wrote: ↑
Wed May 03, 2023 12:34 pm
6mm fuel line.
I hope you've bought a quality brand, Chinese (racist) will fall apart before the end of this year,it's shite.

I only use Pirtek or Made in USA (making it great again) hose.
0 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).

Kim Thomas

Post by Kim Thomas » Wed May 03, 2023 1:14 pm

The 6mm hose was from a UK seller (from Stoke on Trent), and seems to be very fit for purpose so far.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183661834646 ... 8#shpCntId
1 x

Kim Thomas

Post by Kim Thomas » Wed May 03, 2023 1:21 pm

The fuel line was from a UK seller and seem fit for purpose....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183661834646 ... 1143124798

I certainly checked a lot before i opted for this. Identical to the original, which i keep for any emergency anyway...
1 x

lardmarc

Post by lardmarc » Wed May 03, 2023 2:50 pm

Kim Thomas wrote: ↑
Wed May 03, 2023 1:21 pm
The fuel line was from a UK seller and seem fit for purpose.
Hopefully it's the Lithuanian stuff rather than the cheap, nasty rubbish that our Epicanthus eyed brothers fob us off with.
0 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).