VED and my old Triumph - Am I in trouble?

NeilM

VED and my old Triumph - Am I in trouble?

Post by NeilM » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:07 pm

Long story short, in 1994 I acquired a pile of T140 bits, just about enough to make a bike... with some work. In 2020 I have started the work to turn the bits into a working bike.

So far, so good... but, the 'bike' has never been declared SORN as it did not exist back in 1994... at least I don't remember it, and on checking the MOT / VED status on line, DVLA say I should have taxed it in January 1986.... :shock:

So, if I try to put it back on the road (as a historic vehicle), will DVLA understand that I am turning a pile of old bike bits back into an old bike? Or am I going to get whacked with an ÂŁ80 fine for not paying VED? Or am I in even deeper doo-doo?
0 x

Wirralman

Re: VED and my old Triumph - Am I in trouble?

Post by Wirralman » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:04 pm

As SORN didn't exist when you bought the box of bits I expect that you'll be fine

I'd have a chat/ send a query into the DVLA, explaining the circumstances.

DVLA can be awkward but I found that they will listen to reason
1 x

Derrick
Global Moderator

Post by Derrick » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:54 pm

You should be fine, but may have some paperwork to sort out. Once it's back on the road, then SORN applies if it's not taxed and insured, even if the tax is zero. If it's pre-1980 (40 years old) then you don't need the MOT.

"A Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) is not required for vehicles kept off the public road, where no vehicle tax was in force on or after 31 January, 1998. In order to put a vehicle back on the road, you will need an MoT and insurance. You can then use your vehicle registration certificate (V5 or V5C) online, provided a reference number is available on the document. If you only have an-old style V5, you can get a new V5C from DVLA."
1 x
1997 HD MT350
2002 Honda Pan European 1300
2015 Honda CB500F

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:18 pm

Brilliant!

Thank you chaps, that means the T140V Scrambler project is back on, that's a relief.

I'll give DVLA a call this week.

The intention is to apply for historic vehicle status, as the bike was first registered in 1975 it is over the 40 year old age limit.
0 x