MT 500 Rear Wheel Spoke Ring

members own home-made or self sourced MT related items
User avatar
Minter
Posts: 4412
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Burlington , Shropshire

MT 500 Rear Wheel Spoke Ring

Post by Minter » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:34 pm

At last i have found a company that will actually make the spoke ring to replace the bit that dissolves! The Engineering company have all the gear and make stuff for Red Bull Racing!

I'll get some before and after pictures this week..

The cost will be £70 for the spoke ring plus postage. They are made from high grade alloy billet but as most of it is ground out the centre makes them fairly expensive. Albeit cheaper than a new billet hub at £300!

There must be lots of old 500 back wheels kicking around at the backs of sheds, now's the chance to get them rebuilt and back into service!

If there is sufficient interest, I am considering doing a wheel exchange programme, prices TBC... Be intersting to read all your comments - if any!

:D
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

User avatar
Roy W
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: Whiteley Hampshire
Contact:

Re: MT 500 Rear Wheel Spoke Ring

Post by Roy W » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:47 pm

Minter wrote:At last i have found a company that will actually make the spoke ring to replace the bit that dissolves! The Engineering company have all the gear and make stuff for Red Bull Racing!

I'll get some before and after pictures this week..

The cost will be £70 for the spoke ring plus postage. They are made from high grade alloy billet but as most of it is ground out the centre makes them fairly expensive. Albeit cheaper than a new billet hub at £300!

There must be lots of old 500 back wheels kicking around at the backs of sheds, now's the chance to get them rebuilt and back into service!

If there is sufficient interest, I am considering doing a wheel exchange programme, prices TBC... Be intersting to read all your comments - if any!

:D
I think any new parts that keep the bikes going, and are better than original spec are an excellent idea.

I'd buy one just to make your time worthwhile.

I've got a few wheels in the garage, will have to dig them out and see the condition.
0 x

User avatar
Minter
Posts: 4412
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Burlington , Shropshire

Re: MT 500 Rear Wheel Spoke Ring

Post by Minter » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:03 pm

Roy W wrote:
Minter wrote:At last i have found a company that will actually make the spoke ring to replace the bit that dissolves! The Engineering company have all the gear and make stuff for Red Bull Racing!

I'll get some before and after pictures this week..

The cost will be £70 for the spoke ring plus postage. They are made from high grade alloy billet but as most of it is ground out the centre makes them fairly expensive. Albeit cheaper than a new billet hub at £300!

There must be lots of old 500 back wheels kicking around at the backs of sheds, now's the chance to get them rebuilt and back into service!

If there is sufficient interest, I am considering doing a wheel exchange programme, prices TBC... Be intersting to read all your comments - if any!

:D
I think any new parts that keep the bikes going, and are better than original spec are an excellent idea.

I'd buy one just to make your time worthwhile.

I've got a few wheels in the garage, will have to dig them out and see the condition.
Cheers Roy! You must have hundreds! :lol:
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

pupster
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Machynlleth

Re: MT 500 Rear Wheel Spoke Ring

Post by pupster » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:10 pm

Will they be blue?... ;)
0 x

User avatar
Yoof
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Location: Huddersfield

Re: MT 500 Rear Wheel Spoke Ring

Post by Yoof » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:16 pm

pm'd
0 x
MT560e
BMW R75/5
Honda CB250rs
MZ TS250
BSA M20

User avatar
Minter
Posts: 4412
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Burlington , Shropshire

Re: MT 500 Rear Wheel Spoke Ring

Post by Minter » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:30 pm

pupster wrote:Will they be blue?... ;)
:lol: They can be any colour you like John!!

:D
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

User avatar
Minter
Posts: 4412
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Burlington , Shropshire

Re: MT 500 Rear Wheel Spoke Ring

Post by Minter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:45 pm

Picked up the spoke rings today..

They are a work of art and should last a lifetime compared to the magnesium rings..

Image

Image

Cost unfortunately will be £75 to your door..

I'll be able to refurb some old back wheels now, let me know if you do too!

:)
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

User avatar
Bunker
Site Admin
Posts: 3486
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:42 pm
Location: Newbury, Berkshire

Re: MT 500 Rear Wheel Spoke Ring

Post by Bunker » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:16 pm

Beautiful mate, great to see such innovation.
0 x
HD MT500e 'Bunk'
HD MT604e MTourer project


You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

8spoke

Re: MT 500 Rear Wheel Spoke Ring

Post by 8spoke » Sun May 05, 2013 6:02 pm

they look quality they do. how do we go about ordering one? is it a group booking thing, or just drop you a line to get one? one of mine looks as if it could be on its way out :x
0 x

User avatar
MT Pocket
Posts: 733
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:48 am
Location: S Wales
Location: The 'dark' side

Re: MT 500 Rear Wheel Spoke Ring

Post by MT Pocket » Mon May 06, 2013 6:29 am

8spoke wrote:they look quality they do. how do we go about ordering one? is it a group booking thing, or just drop you a line to get one? one of mine looks as if it could be on its way out :x
Best to drop Minter a PM - he's even busier than usual at the moment.
0 x
MT 604 (Piggles- baby hog with wiings) bits of allsorts, CCM, WP, Brembo, hagon

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest