Evolution saw blades, and screws for tanalised timber

A place to chat/ ask about tool, fitting out your workshop etc etc
TDIPower

Evolution saw blades, and screws for tanalised timber

Post by TDIPower » Tue May 23, 2017 9:03 pm

Just had to buy a new blade for my hand held circular saw (loaned it a mate and it came back with every other tooth missing!)

Very little choice at SCREW/STATION for 185mm dia. So I picked up one of the evolution blades as I figured if I hit a nail or something it wouldn't be the end of the world. Anyway when I got it it states on the blade max RPM 3900, dug out the manual for the saw it states 4500 rpm :? . Looking though both SCREW/STATION catalogues there is not a single mention of max speeds for any of the blades they sell! You can't even search or sort the search by Dia and Bore :(.

What do you think, bang it in and get cutting or take it back and get the grunt behind the counter to get all the blades out until I find one that suits?

Next up.

I've not worked with tanalised timber before and am about to build a new garage door. I noticed in the SCREW/STATION catalogue that they do screws suitable for tanalised timber, I just though anything would do. A bit of a search turned up that some grades of stainless or if not galvanised in the correct way (hot dipped rather than electroplated) they can react with the taniln. There is a bit of a price difference, 10x M10x50mm for tanalised wood is ÂŁ10 or 10x M10x50mm galvanised (doesn't state the process used) ÂŁ1.00. I need them for screwing the door track to the beam. For building the door (2.5m x 2.5m) I am going to need a bucket load of screws. SO can anyone with real experience of working with tanalised timber shed some light?

Thanks
0 x
MT350

Mr Shiney

Re: Evolution saw blades, and screws for tanalised timber

Post by Mr Shiney » Tue May 23, 2017 9:06 pm

Take it back and change it. I have a rage chop saw and those blades are TCT brazed and not designed for high speed.
0 x
97 MT350 - 500e hybrid GL 72 AA
MT604 - 350 Hybrid - Blue Thunder.... 53 KL 70
2013 Kawasaki Z1000SX
Mighty XR400
Even mightier CanAm250
Peugeot Kisbee Scoot 102cc
Ex RAF Defender 90

Why do you need so many bikes when you only have one bum? Girls eh!

mt bandit

Post by mt bandit » Tue May 23, 2017 9:22 pm

the blades i use are 24 tooth , irrespective of diameter, and i do it for a living , i dont play , it's an all round size
0 x
Africa twin 750
honda hornet 600 now sold :(
mt 500
mt560e
can am
divorce coming soon

Franc

Post by Franc » Wed May 24, 2017 4:58 pm

Don't chance it mate, those tungsten teeth will hit you with enough momentum to do some serious damage, I still have a scar or two from a blade failure.
Take your saw to a proper tool shop, they can match a blade to your exact needs, and usually carry a variety of oem or universal stock. Maybe a couple of quid extra, but we'll worth it to avoid injury.
0 x

TDIPower

Post by TDIPower » Thu May 25, 2017 7:49 pm

Cheers guys, As for taking the saw to a tool shop... this is a B&Q special that's about 15yrs old and was my dads. I knew in my heart the blade needed to go back it's just I have a door that needs cutting and its got nails in it that can't be avoided. I just believe that SCREW/STATION don't list such an important bit of information as a mail order company.
0 x
MT350