Evolution saw blades, and screws for tanalised timber

A place to chat/ ask about tool, fitting out your workshop etc etc
TDIPower

Evolution saw blades, and screws for tanalised timber

Post by TDIPower » Tue May 23, 2017 9:03 pm

Just had to buy a new blade for my hand held circular saw (loaned it a mate and it came back with every other tooth missing!)

Very little choice at SCREW/STATION for 185mm dia. So I picked up one of the evolution blades as I figured if I hit a nail or something it wouldn't be the end of the world. Anyway when I got it it states on the blade max RPM 3900, dug out the manual for the saw it states 4500 rpm :? . Looking though both SCREW/STATION catalogues there is not a single mention of max speeds for any of the blades they sell! You can't even search or sort the search by Dia and Bore :(.

What do you think, bang it in and get cutting or take it back and get the grunt behind the counter to get all the blades out until I find one that suits?

Next up.

I've not worked with tanalised timber before and am about to build a new garage door. I noticed in the SCREW/STATION catalogue that they do screws suitable for tanalised timber, I just though anything would do. A bit of a search turned up that some grades of stainless or if not galvanised in the correct way (hot dipped rather than electroplated) they can react with the taniln. There is a bit of a price difference, 10x M10x50mm for tanalised wood is ÂŁ10 or 10x M10x50mm galvanised (doesn't state the process used) ÂŁ1.00. I need them for screwing the door track to the beam. For building the door (2.5m x 2.5m) I am going to need a bucket load of screws. SO can anyone with real experience of working with tanalised timber shed some light?

Thanks
0 x
MT350

Mr Shiney

Re: Evolution saw blades, and screws for tanalised timber

Post by Mr Shiney » Tue May 23, 2017 9:06 pm

Take it back and change it. I have a rage chop saw and those blades are TCT brazed and not designed for high speed.
0 x

mt bandit

Post by mt bandit » Tue May 23, 2017 9:22 pm

the blades i use are 24 tooth , irrespective of diameter, and i do it for a living , i dont play , it's an all round size
0 x
Africa twin 750
honda hornet 600 now sold :(
mt 500
mt560e
can am
divorce coming soon

Franc

Post by Franc » Wed May 24, 2017 4:58 pm

Don't chance it mate, those tungsten teeth will hit you with enough momentum to do some serious damage, I still have a scar or two from a blade failure.
Take your saw to a proper tool shop, they can match a blade to your exact needs, and usually carry a variety of oem or universal stock. Maybe a couple of quid extra, but we'll worth it to avoid injury.
0 x

TDIPower

Post by TDIPower » Thu May 25, 2017 7:49 pm

Cheers guys, As for taking the saw to a tool shop... this is a B&Q special that's about 15yrs old and was my dads. I knew in my heart the blade needed to go back it's just I have a door that needs cutting and its got nails in it that can't be avoided. I just believe that SCREW/STATION don't list such an important bit of information as a mail order company.
0 x
MT350