12 v winch in rear of van

A place to chat/ ask about tool, fitting out your workshop etc etc
appyarry

Re: 12 v winch in rear of van

Post by appyarry » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:42 pm

ÂŁ48 for a winch is cheap, the only trouble is I haven't met anyone who has done this and I didn't want to buy too small a winch only to find I still have to strain to get it up the ramp.

I suppose that as long as I always try to make sure the van is on a downhill slope it will help, I'll just have to avoid Lincolnshire :-)

Ta,
0 x
MT 604e :-)
Serveta Jet 200
Triumph Tigress 250
BSA C15 to be rebuilt as Scrambler
Sinclair Goddard PowerPak
Kalkhoff Endeavour 11 Speed Hub

TDIPower

Post by TDIPower » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:32 pm

It would do the job, it is rated at 400kg with 4 layers of rope on the drum, it will be pulling a lot of amps and moving slow if there is a lot of line on the drum though. To get the best use from it you should cut the cable down so it is long enough to do the job and have at least 3 turns still on the drum. By doing that you would be using the figures for the 1st layer and that is up to 1.98m of rope and at 227kg moving at 3m per min and pulling 12 amps (factor in the ramp and you could say 454kg 2.44m per min and 25 amps), that would be when you are on the hard part going up the ramp. The rest is 'on the flat' in the back of the van.

You can go for bigger winches, more power, more space required. There are lots out there depends how deep your pockets are.

Pete
0 x
MT350

appyarry

Post by appyarry » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:11 pm

Well I fitted the winch, a Warrior Ninja C2000 from Auto Lift UK Ltd in Bradford. I fitted it to two ply boards that I screwed and glued to the van, then I bolted the winch to the top board and all seemed OK. After 24 hours to let the glue dry I tried loading the MT using the rear carrier to pull it up. The ramp I have is only 60" full out and not really long enough for the task but I tried and I was amazed, no stress, cracking or ominous noises and the winch pulled the bike up easily. I was very impressed with the ease it pulled the MT up the steep incline. I have ordered a folding ramp which is 30 inches longer so that will reduce the incline and make it easier on the winch. The remote control worked great and I can't wait to get away for weekend break and a little ride out somewhere other than Sunny Kent. I will Shorten the rope as Pete advises, I just want to wait until I've tried all my bikes and had a bit of experience with it, I don't want to cut it too soon :D

Just a bit of painting and clip the cables up neatly and it should be OK.
0 x
Serveta Jet 200
Triumph Tigress 250

TDIPower

Post by TDIPower » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:18 pm

Wow, I would not have thought about 'roof' installation. Glad it is working out.

Pete
0 x
MT350

appyarry

Post by appyarry » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:29 am

TDIPower wrote:Wow, I would not have thought about 'roof' installation. Glad it is working out.
Pete
The Roof is the underside of the Bed and I didn't want the cable catching the back of the van and also pulling the bike down into the floor rather than up into position.

The Gun box will have to come off as it stops the bike moving across to the LHS where I want it on the side stand.
0 x
Serveta Jet 200
Triumph Tigress 250

appyarry

Post by appyarry » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:50 pm

appyarry wrote:The Roof is the underside of the Bed and I didn't want the cable catching the back of the van and also pulling the bike down into the floor rather than up into position.
I've put a video on youtube. See what you think :-) It's my first posting on YouTube :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQmyx_IrhfU
Ta,
0 x
Serveta Jet 200
Triumph Tigress 250