MT500 Loom

Any MT parts
Wirralman

Re: MT500 Loom

Post by Wirralman » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:37 pm

:cry:
Barrie wrote:I've considered making a load and selling them..maybe I should actually do it.
This has been considered before by one sparky member but he reckoned that the cost of his time would make them so expensive that there wouldn't be any takers

If you're making one for your own bike then your labour is free and the reward is the achievement Were you to make one and sell at a low price thinking that your are helping fellow forum owners, be prepared to see your buyer selling his old loom on ebay for the same price as you sold him a new one Trust me , that happens and leaves a nasty taste....
0 x

TDIPower

Post by TDIPower » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:11 pm

I've looked at doing looms in the past too (I made LED dash light conversions for MT500s but I did it at cost and a beer but had to order kit for 10 sets at a time). it can be tricky to find all the original connectors (unless you buy bulk) also people want mods to the looms for aux power, different fuse panels etc.
I do do the odd loom for friends but these tend to be bespoke on custom bikes starting from scratch. the basic cost of cable and connectors for a bike is about ÂŁ50 the rest is time. For a scratch design, if all the switches etc are original or bike specific then about a day to design/CAD the loom and 2 days to produce on the bike.

As for the cost of the time, just ask a builder/plumber/sparky/chippy what his day rate is, buy a pace maker and realise a loom isn't cheep.

Pete
0 x
MT350

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:28 pm

TDIPower wrote: I did it at cost and a beer but had to order kit for 10 sets at a time)
Guess I still owe you a beer from 2012! :lol:
0 x
MT500 "Le Shuttle" In memory of Jim Burns
Jawa CZ 125
Need help uploading photos onto the forum?
click here

Minter

Post by Minter » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:44 am

Looking into loom making / availability of connectors etc next Thursday with a supplier / manufacturer. I would like a generic loom for both 350e and 500 kicker - you just connect what you need / use.

Time and care in making is the only downside - just ask Brian! Selling them for an honest and fair price is even more difficult - just ask Minivin! I should know with a life times supply of spoke rings, inlet flanges, shock linkages for CCM's - the list goes on and no doubt looms will become part of that list!

But i'm in it for the long haul and like nothing more than seeing these great old bikes plodding on for years to come......
1 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

TDIPower

Post by TDIPower » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:35 pm

I've just completed a loom for a custom rotax 604 street tracker, this included stripping out a 'loom' err 'made/hacked together' by an electrician, it has also thrown some problems due to rider wishes on control switches and although it only has rear lights it included the option for a connector for a front light loom/switch at a later date.
This stands at 28hrs on the clock for my time + materials.

I would love to do custom looms on bikes full time but it would take a lot to be worth giving up the day job :( I would consider doing stock looms for MTs with the option for additions but it is minimum order on connectors that hurts. Hence why I stopped doing the LEDs for the MT500 kickers. I don't have the funds to be sitting on stock. If I were asked to make a batch of looms for a bike I would consider it.

The other thing I have issues with is knowing what is involved in the job of looms and knowing what I would want to pay for a loom, the 2 don't meet. I can't believe even with all my experience just how long the job takes.

Pete
0 x
MT350

bth2bth2

Post by bth2bth2 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:51 pm

have you seen how much the ferret (of motorcycle mechanics fame)charges to rewire a bike......silly money. its not the parts that costs but his time.
0 x
Slowly slowly catchy monkey.............
CBR 900rrs , zrx1100.in green gone but not forgotten.....mt500 in green ,stolen and abused but still alive.......cos one day , all bikes will be this slowwwwwww

stevieb10000

Post by stevieb10000 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:41 am

Thanks for all the replies folks. I have started to have a go at making a new loom but couldn't find connector blocks the same as originals from the scource I use which is vehicle wiring products.
I have put it on the back burner a bit as I am more mechanical than electrical and also I have another 2 projects on the go namely a yammy IT175 and a Honda cb900f2 bol dor
0 x

bth2bth2

Post by bth2bth2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:13 pm

try rex's speed shop for the plugs and can i please have your IT when youve finished with it :D
0 x
Slowly slowly catchy monkey.............
CBR 900rrs , zrx1100.in green gone but not forgotten.....mt500 in green ,stolen and abused but still alive.......cos one day , all bikes will be this slowwwwwww

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:51 am

Minter wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:44 am
Looking into loom making / availability of connectors etc next Thursday with a supplier / manufacturer. I would like a generic loom for both 350e and 500 kicker - you just connect what you need / use.
Sorry for the late bump. You got any update on this Minter?
0 x
MT500 "Le Shuttle" In memory of Jim Burns
Jawa CZ 125
Need help uploading photos onto the forum?
click here

Minter

Post by Minter » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:10 am

Barrie wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:51 am
Minter wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:44 am
Sorry for the late bump. You got any update on this Minter?
Nothing as yet Barrie, snowed under with engine rebuilds and bike repairs - one day hopefully tho, maybe force or LMS can help with NOS looms...
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link