wrinklies with cdi unit

Any MT parts
giff

wrinklies with cdi unit

Post by giff » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:53 pm

one of you wrinklies has a cdi unit in good nick doing nothing in a box.im using the force of giff to ask you to send it too me .it is trying to seek me out so i can mechanic me motorbike back to life. :D it is a good motorbike.very old and cranky :arrow: but not in a scotish style :arrow: .there are many motorbikes as old and cranky,but this is my one and its asked for an mt 500 cdi unit.what can i do but serve my cranky black beast.it will rest untill i do its bidding as i am keen to ride my cranky beast,cos it makes me cranky that i have no shaclles to afford procuremen of a new cdi unit and am unable to ride as my cranky beast is not sparking...i can do stuff like drive awsumedistancesin big stuffor roadtest stuff to destruction if it helps i am happy to trade this skillset to procure the parts needed to serve the fate of the cranky beast :lol: :geek: i have shackles but shit on a stick the beast is spensive as eff on parts of nothing to justify what it is :D ,cmon people i have not been over or under a bridge for many moons now regards giff.if any bod has a cdi and is about the south west pls get in touch as soon as poss. many thanks
the post of why we own mts :D
0 x

lardmarc

Re: wrinklies with cdi unit

Post by lardmarc » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:00 am

Only a ton from Rex.

I thought they would've been more expensive than that.
1 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).

Minter

Post by Minter » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:10 am

We fully support Rex's and stock many of their items in our shop too!
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

Cato

Post by Cato » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:11 am

lardmarc wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:00 am
Only a ton from Rex.

I thought they would've been more expensive than that.
When you look at the prices for an OEM CDi or TCi they're very good value.
2 x
1928 Motoconfort (in boxes).
1934 Magnat Debon.
1957 Enfield Bullet 350.
1981 GSX 1100 ET.
1995 MT350.

giff

Post by giff » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:22 pm

happy after xmas . i did look into this and didnt know the 111 pound item is the same as mine.. i saw the handy post where some chap has dug the resin !stuff out and revealed a very inexpenxive to produce thing in my opinion..the force and others seemed a spensive y item,three hundred plus .which i know is difficult for most of us non pensioners or lowly gardeners to genorate.sorry to whinge.i know its a good investment for the future and as i want to keep mine as me orse forever i will have to wait.thank you for putting me on to the hundred quidish one .will try though it doesnt mount the same as my old cdi unit....like for like with these parts i think...effin paperweight without the correct working parts tho.have a good new year all.. :D
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:40 pm

Yes, the chap did take one apart and decided it would be uneconomic to put it back together again

The part itself is key to the engine actually running and I haven't heard of any alternatives cheap or otherwise. Were it just the electrical components I suspect it wouldn't cost a lot but protecting them from the elements seems to be expensive
1 x

mt bandit

Post by mt bandit » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:31 pm

I havnt got a clue what's going on here .
But I'm thinking if you need a cdi just buy one 2nd hand or new
No ones gona give you one ,
Or did I miss read this
1 x
Armstrong 600
500 outfit

giff

Post by giff » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:50 pm

you miss read. nothing in this life is free as you all know,and as stated im hoping to procure one thats been sat in a drawer for a decade or two and maybee isnt needed by the current owner anymore,did i misswrite it,whats long green and smells of pork,,,kermits middle finger/ :lol: i didnt miss write this old classic either :!:
0 x

Minter

Post by Minter » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:18 pm

A sure sign its your CDI that is past its sell by date is if it kicks back when you are trying to start it.. The fault still allows the spark plug to spark but at the wrong time trying to run the engine backwards hence the kick start launching you over the bars or breaking your ankle. If there is zero spark it is usually plug, coil or low/high speed coil windings in the stator assy. High resistance of the Trigger coil (over 145ohms) allows the plug to spark outside the engine thinking all is well but the engine wont run or even fire..

We build or repair over 50 engines a year and this is what we have found over the last 30 odd years of working on Rotax powered bikes..

Hope this helps

Gary
Sportax Racing
01952 850802
2 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

giff

Post by giff » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:21 am

thanks gary..realy greatfull for your time and knowledge..cant wait untill we all meet..you mt rotax types restore my faith in the kindness of humans.i havent had my beast break my bones yet..it may be my perished and brittle loom or cdi wiring being the same condition..that is not allowing sparky thing to do its thing.. :shock: happy new year to all.regards giff
2 x