Diesel bike

As it says on the tin
sween

Diesel bike

Post by sween » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:09 pm

I saw this on a Royal Enfield forum and thought that some people on here may be interested.
I feel that the military were clutching at straws with this idea, as I feel that this bike would have seamed a bit antiquated on a battle field in 1995.
Sween

http://www.dieselbike.net/armstrong/armstrong.htm
2 x

Wirralman

Re: Diesel bike

Post by Wirralman » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:54 pm

Single fuel, a good idea for the military.

As a sprog who had never used diesel, I was given a few Jerry cans of diesel and a few of petrol on a night replenishment ( refuel). The whole idea was to do things as quietly and with as little light as possible. In the fuel went but the error was soon realised- next step - drain 56 gallons of fuel into the ground and refill with petrol.

Much later armoured cars were converted to diesel. A mixed fleet is a military nightmare

I think there have been other attempts KTM? to build a diesel engined military bike but it was unsuccessful
0 x

lardmarc

Post by lardmarc » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:39 am

Looking at the picture I'd say that was possibly a pre-Armstrong CCM frame.

Can't see much Armstrong going on.
0 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).

hounddog
Global Moderator

Post by hounddog » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:51 am

I read that the US military did use a diesel Kawasaki KLR650, resulting from a single fuel requirement , Other plus point was fuel economy 100mpg.
Never really a civilian market for diesel bikes,. Heavy engines, noisy, vibration , poor acceleration and low bhp and low top speeds (not as good as a 125 petrol bike) are not great selling points , . Enfield did also make a 400cc diesel as i recall.
With R&D now concentrating on electric for the future i suppose there is no appetite for developing these now , which is a shame as unusual bikes are always intetesting
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT350 -project "clown bike"
BMW R65

mt bandit

Post by mt bandit » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:25 pm

Very SWM
0 x
Armstrong 600
500 outfit

lardmarc

Post by lardmarc » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:29 pm

mt bandit wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:25 pm
Very SWM
I'd love to show you the evidence for why you are wrong but then you'd know as much as me. I'll show you next time I come over once this lock down number three proves to be pointless..
0 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).

Sloppy Link

Post by Sloppy Link » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:59 am

The common fuel dream actually revolves around AVTUR or JP8 depending where you live. Diesel engines can be converted across fairly straightforward but petrol is a lot trickier unless you add something to bring the flashpoint up and, in a lot of these engines, the fuel is also used as a lubricant and for cooling. It’s mainly filters, pumps and nozzles that need adjusting, also less time between servicing.
Op Granby, a pal running low on fuel put some CIVGAS from a passing UBRE into a Lynx, worked out he had about 50/50 mix with the remaining AVTUR in the tanks. We had Rolls-Royce reps in theatre with us, they pretty much shrugged it off. The engines ran a little hotter but that was about it.
0 x
‘13 KTM Adventure 1190
‘03 BMW F650GS
‘85 Armstrong MT500
‘67 Norton P11