Search function problem.

As it says on the tin
Barrie

Search function problem.

Post by Barrie » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi guys.
Merry Christmas to you all.
Just wondering if there is anything that can be done about the search function. I can't seem to search for particular things because they are too common words.
Including "can am"
0 x
MT500 "Le Shuttle" In memory of Jim Burns
Jawa CZ 125
Need help uploading photos onto the forum?
click here

Wirralman

Re: Search function problem.

Post by Wirralman » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:13 pm

Exactly what are you looking for ?

If it's a colour MT500 wiring diagram , go to
Board Index
Technical
Manuals & Papers
MT & Rotax
MT500 Wiring Diagram
- go through results and you will find a post by Joth Hill 17 Jan 2015 with a direct link
0 x

Derrick
Global Moderator

Post by Derrick » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:54 pm

I just tried Canam and got 260 results, so I assume there is a value at which it's too many for the search to cope with. Bunker may be able to say what the limit is. Can-Am gave too many.

Have a look at the search settings, you may need to refine the way it works (I hope you see a cog by the search, if it's not just an admin function)
0 x
1997 HD MT350
2002 Honda Pan European 1300

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:47 pm

Derrick wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:54 pm
I just tried Canam and got 260 results, so I assume there is a value at which it's too many for the search to cope with. Bunker may be able to say what the limit is. Can-Am gave too many.

Have a look at the search settings, you may need to refine the way it works (I hope you see a cog by the search, if it's not just an admin function)
If you look at the bottom of the Search box , it is set to 300 If you set it higher, you would potentially get so many hits and if the forum was busy ! could slow the response time for everyone or even crash the forum altogether

I have searched many many times over the years and have had to think Can I ask this question in a different way ? Usually it only needs a little thought

As Derrick has pointed out canam works but
'can am' doesn't because there would be thousands of hits an 'can' ( searches must be 3 characters hence 'am' would be ignored)
0 x

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:00 pm

Wirralman wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:47 pm
Derrick wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:54 pm

If you look at the bottom of the Search box , it is set to 300 If you set it higher, you would potentially get so many hits and if the forum was busy ! could slow the response time for everyone or even crash the forum altogether

I have searched many many times over the years and have had to think Can I ask this question in a different way ? Usually it only needs a little thought

As Derrick has pointed out canam works but
'can am' doesn't because there would be thousands of hits an 'can' ( searches must be 3 characters hence 'am' would be ignored)
Yep understand that. If it was google you could put "can am bombardier" with the " marks and it would only search for the words can am bombardier together, not seperately - greatly reducing hits. Is this possible on our forum?
0 x
MT500 "Le Shuttle" In memory of Jim Burns
Jawa CZ 125
Need help uploading photos onto the forum?
click here

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:56 pm

Barrie wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:00 pm

Yep understand that. If it was google you could put "can am bombardier" with the " marks and it would only search for the words can am bombardier together, not seperately - greatly reducing hits. Is this possible on our forum?
No and yes. No you can't do what you want to do the way you want to do it Yes you can do it by using a Search within a Search Whilst not elegant from a systems point of view, this clunky approach should narrow down the hits you get
0 x