Removal of inactive members

Wirralman

Re: Removal of inactive members

Post by Wirralman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:17 pm

Historically those who have not logged on for a while , 7 months or so, have been deleted unless there are extenuating circumstances. There are many members who wish to read but rarely post.

Given the current number of messages posted daily, if you artificially increase the traffic by insisting that members post you are in danger of useful posts being swamped by members posting merely to avoid deletion. If you analyse the current membership , of circa 1010 member only about 100 actively post , and if you break that down there are only 25 highly active posters. Your call entirely but I would advise against artificially generating traffic.

Arguably those who register but do not post a 'hello message' within, say, two months could be deleted. Such members only see a small proportion of the forum when they are in that status and often don't come back to the forum after initial registration.

Applying the criterion of 'no log on in for 7 to 8 months leads to deletion ' has in the past generated accusations of moderators being over zealous but my view is that it is reasonable. The only proviso is that those who have made a meaningful financial contribution could reasonably expect that their membership is valid for a while regardless of whether they log in or not.
0 x

surfermick

Post by surfermick » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:38 pm

there is the off topic section where people could jabber a bit just to get a post in. but if people cant find anything mt related to post in 6 months then i cant see that they are interested enough to need to be in a club. just my thoughts on the subject.
0 x

Englishman

Post by Englishman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:45 pm

No problem with the policy it makes perfect sense to me and I respect and appreciate your judgement. I just wondered how many members were active and the size of the MTRC membership out of curiosity that's all. We are of course limited by the number of MT's made and potential owners I suppose.
0 x

ellrider

Post by ellrider » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:14 pm

surfermick wrote:
ellrider wrote:
surfermick wrote:im a builder so work real hard, then i walk mountains, surf and generally enjoy the outdoor lifestyle.
does that count as active enough :?
but can you start an MT500.
its amazing how different i feel about her now that she is a starter. :D
Everyone loves a goer. :D

As for the culling get rid of all who haven't viewed in the last six months and see who's left here.
0 x
Be who you are and say what you feel because those that
matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter!

CADMAN

Post by CADMAN » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:17 pm

I Just looked in the membership list at the number of posts column and was surprised to see that there are over 300 registered users who have never posted :!:
0 x
MT 350 1995
Suzuki GS550E 1979
Honda CB500 XA 2015

arceye

Post by arceye » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:47 pm

Its a good job its based on not posting as I feel very inactive.
Not been out on the MT for a few months now. :oops:
0 x
MT 405
Phil

appyarry

Post by appyarry » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:11 pm

My view is:

Email those you want to cull.

If you get a response that they want to stay then OK.

And unless you think something is iffy then let them stay.

Just saying, :-)
0 x
MT 604e :-)
Serveta Jet 200
Triumph Tigress 250
BSA C15 to be rebuilt as Scrambler
Sinclair Goddard PowerPak
Kalkhoff Endeavour 11 Speed Hub

Derrick
Global Moderator

Post by Derrick » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:18 pm

Thanks for to comments, currently the total number of members is 1014, and with over 300 that have never posted.

Time for action.......
0 x
1997 HD MT350
2002 Honda Pan European 1300