BMF Affiliation

Bunker
Site Admin

Re: New Section on the forum.

Post by Bunker » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:35 pm

My wife is a bookkeeper and would be willing to 'do the books' of the club.
Thats extremely kind of her and you, we will bear it in mind. Thanks
The club should already have some form of 'accounts', otherwise all the money donated would be regarded as 'extra income' by HMRC and if Simon and others could not prove this otherwise, would be liable for the tax due to HMRC.
Not so, all monies are in a business bank account and believe me are WAY under the threshold for any taxes due. We also have most of our money tied up in shop stock.
I find myself wondering if some of the management are really prepared to find themselves 'voted' off.
We don't get paid for our work, we do it for our passion for the club. If the club truly wanted us out and had better people ready to take the helm - truthfully, I would be sad but it would also be amazing to be just a passenger on this beautiful boat.
Also the policy of 'locking' a subject would have to stop, just because the management didn't like what was being said. As long as the member was not breaking any current law in what they wrote, then they are entitled to their 'free' speech.
I find that an incredible irony, outstanding. The current hot potato was locked pending a meet by the admin team, and will be re-opened. That has been explained. The last hot potato was funnily enough the 8 post attack on you Pirate, that I removed just a few days ago. They were breaking no laws, but I felt it inappropriate to the spirit of the club, to allow a lynch mob (most of the posters didn't know it was you until you replied) to hang you out to dry. I did the same for you last year after the Morocco trip issues. What do you feel about the 'Free Speech' in those cases? I can truly do no right for some people.
0 x
HD MT500e 'Bunk'
HD MT604e MTourer project

You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

EddieWouldGo

Post by EddieWouldGo » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:37 pm

Hi,

I'm a very new member (had my MT since mid-Feb), so I don't by any means understand all the history, relationships and work involved in the club, but want to say what I'm thinking anyway.

I have been overwhelmed by all the help I have found on the forum even though I haven't been particularly active so far.
I had been hoping to come to a couple of events this year, but have many prior arrangements (don't we all?) this year so haven't committed to anything, but am still very hopeful.

I was planning on making a donation very soon as I was feeling indebted to the club for all the help and great .pdf guides and manuals which have been super-useful as a new owner. These were printed out and came with my bike, so I haven't had to download them, but I understand and appreciate where they came from.

I was planning on a donation of more than a tenner, but now it sounds like there will be a set fee so I'm quite happy to now pay a tenner and be a member, but to be honest I will be much less likely to get round to a donation, as woodruff suggests here:
woodruff wrote:It seems logical that a subscription cost will reduce the amount of 'Donating' that takes place, has this drop in income been included in costing predictions?
I don't know if there's a good solution to this, unless the tenner is a suggested minimum donation? Or do people feel guilted by these types of wording?

As for the tech and classifieds being only accessible to paying members I'm not a fan, but I guess this should go to some kind of vote? Sounds like there's plenty of time before anything is done about that anyway.

Cheers,
Eddie.
0 x

woodruff

Post by woodruff » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:43 pm

It would be terrible if the act of discussion around this subject led to divisions. Already people seem to want 'Rights' despite nothing being decided on.

It is Simon and mates club and why not? Would you or me for that matter have got of our arses and started it let alone kept it running?

I am shocked that only 2% of you have made donations, I assumed the club had only been able to run on because of generous finacial support due to donations anyway.
0 x

MarkW

Post by MarkW » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:06 pm

I was quite happy to fork out £30 or so for membership of the VMCC as it saved me over £100 quid on my insurance through FJ, if paying £10 a year to be a full member of the MTRC gets me the same discount it is a no brainer really!

You only have to look on ebay to see the manuals that people are trying to flog that are exactly the same as the ones on this site to realise that the club needs to protect the wealth of information on here.

Could past contributions/donations be taken into account when granting full membership? I could see how people who have already donated this year might be a bit hesitant to pay again.
0 x
MT604
BMW R1150GS
BMW R75/6
BMW R80 and Ural chair

chippy1

Post by chippy1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:08 pm

The Club must allready have a list of names and addresses of people attending
the Stafford show,
This list, together with a small levy and of course permisson of the attendees
could form a members list to keep the BMF happy.
I bet if you look at the names of the people going to Stafford a good 80% of them will be going to South Wales, North Wales and most other meets.
Then the club could remain the same, just with with two types of members those of us who like to meet up and ride, and will pay the insurance levy, and those that dont.
No committee, No treasurer No secrets and no hassle :)
0 x

worz

Post by worz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:13 pm

chippy1 wrote:The Club must allready have a list of names and addresses of people attending
the Stafford show,
I bet if you look at the names of the people going to Stafford a good 80% of them will be going to South Wales, North Wales and most other meets.
Then the club could remain the same, just with with two types of members those of us who like to meet up and ride, and will pay the insurance levy, and those that dont.
This makes sense. Pay, turn up & ride or don't & try Facebook & twitter from your armchairs
Happy sitting
0 x
MT604 Armstrong.
MT350 off roader.
MT500 Project ??

ellrider

Post by ellrider » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:40 pm

chippy1 wrote:The Club must allready have a list of names and addresses of people attending
the Stafford show,
Yeah,

and Bunker can carry on paying for the website to keep all the others happy. :twisted:
0 x
Be who you are and say what you feel because those that
matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter!

fantastic mister fox

Post by fantastic mister fox » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:31 pm

It seem's that 2 things are happening here:

The club now need's insurance, mainly for the purpose of running events and the proposed method of collecting people's money when they attend an event seems logical, However if people wish to buy in advance that's great.

As far as insurance goes does an event have to be "an offical club meet" to be covered or would last Friday's bimble around salisbury plain count?

I would suggest that in the interest of clarity with people now paying membership a book keeper/ treasuer would have to be apointed to keep members happy, I'm sure this could be done by a trusted member?? weather we would need to formalize more than that I don't know??

I do have one question tho, If I was to pay my membership for being able to attend club events (as this is the purpose of the fee) would I still be told I wasn't welcome to certain events as they are "MT ONLY." I ask this as I enjoy being a member of this club on the social side and have an interest in the bikes??
0 x
SHHH don't tell any one I'm still lurking around here

2016 SWM RS300R
2015 Moto Guzzi Sport 1200
2010 CCM SR40
www.bristolatbc.co.uk

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:16 pm

I have never been in or know of a free motor cycle club, so how can any one object to £10.00 for a years membership and all the benifits that we enjoy?
We just need to keep things as simple as possible and accountable.

Andrew
0 x
MT350
Moto Guzzi S3
Moto Guzzi Spada (pimped)
Defender 90 200TDI

appyarry

Post by appyarry » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Bunker wrote:
If I was "the management" I would have thought it was in "their" interest to let the Bird Fly by itself, that way the workload is spread around and will give the hard working individuals more time to ride.
I don't understand this, please explain. Who then does the 40 - 60 hours a month that we currently do each to keep the form legible/ published/ ordered and all the rest of the behind the scenes work? Or are you suggesting we just simply don't do it? How many of you do think this sort of enterprise can just exist on its own?
If you don't think that others can do the work then they probably won't.

I think if you want to retain full control then fine by me, however if you want a "Club" then you will have to accept that it takes you to an area you don't sound like you really want to be.

Maybe you want the best of both worlds, a Club, but you have the final say. How achievable that is I don't know, but I'm on the ride just to see.

Ta,
0 x
MT 604e :-)
Serveta Jet 200
Triumph Tigress 250
BSA C15 to be rebuilt as Scrambler
Sinclair Goddard PowerPak
Kalkhoff Endeavour 11 Speed Hub