BMF Affiliation

Bunker
Site Admin

BMF Affiliation

Post by Bunker » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:39 pm

Folks, I am very pleased to announce that we are affiliating ourselves with the BMF.

This is basically a move to give us the Public Liability Insurance we need as a club, for events and general practice.

We had joined the ACU but it transpires that they are unable to give us what we need, and the BMF have been superbly welcoming. I realise that some of you will have your own opinions about them but please understand, this is a tool rather than a political decision.
A specially tailored insurance scheme to protect motorcycle club officials and members is included in your affiliate membership. All the cover that your club needs in one convenient package.
Injury to the public
Claims against club officials
Legal & court costs
Supervised rally games
Catering activities
Leased or rented premises
Libel & slander
Liability arising out of advice
Product liability
Alleged negligence on a road run
This does not cover individuals as such, but protects the club against the acts of individuals or scrapes you get into in the name of the club.

They will only cover clubs/ forums like ours if we have a separate section that is accessible only to 'members' . Hence a new area has been born called 'Full Membership'. Within this section will be posted all the benefits we each get from the affiliation, including 50% off RAC cover etc.

Full Membership
Costs:
For 2012/2013, the costs involved will be covered by money made at the events, so for this year, anyone attending an event will automatically become a Full Member for the year. Everybody else is welcome, at a cost of £10 per year.

What if I join in September?
The membership year will be 1st April to 31st March. If you join after 1st October the fee will be £5.

Im already a member of the BMF, so I don't need the benefits.
Fair point, the reason for us joining isn't about your discounts, its mainly about club insurance so we won't mind for a minute if you decline.

What else will I get for being a Full Member?
For this year, only the benefits that will be listed soon, i.e. discounts at various places. Within the next 12 months we may, depending on discussion, amend the permissions for the Technical sections, i.e. anyone can read them but only FM's can post or reply. Same for the Classified sections. This will help to control the number of people who join up just to sell stuff, or just to ask a question about their Rotax powered shopping trolley etc.
This may also enable us to work out a proper membership number system.
This will also give YOU the confidence of being part of a proper club rather than a forum type club entity (don't worry, we won't do 'year bars' for your patches :D ).

Im hoping to join an event in September, so will that cover me or shall I pay up now?
Up to you, entry fees to club events will be reduced by £10 to FMs so you won't lose out either way.

So. We move forward but without too much bureaucracy or red tape. Like you, we want keep the club as it is, a very social and non political community.

Slowly we are adding the Stafford peeps to the list, for everybody else there will soon be a button in the shop or maybe we'll convert the 'donation' button to 'Join Us'.

We welcome any feedback.

Thanks
Simon & team
0 x
HD MT500e 'Bunk'
HD MT604e MTourer project

You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

m1ks

Re: New Section on the forum.

Post by m1ks » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:47 pm

I have some thoughts and opinions on this based on previous experiences and clubs but will hold off for the moment while I read and study this further. :?
0 x

frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:08 am

Hi,i have just donated a small amount to the club which i try to do when funds allow,i don,t particularly wish to join the BMF and unfortunately will not be attending the events this year. I know £10 is a small amount to become a full member but is the MT riders club becoming a victim of it,s own success? I understand many of you put in a lot of hard work so we can reap the benefits ,but i am not sure i like the idea of only full members being able to post in technical areas and classified ads etc. It is with regret i don,t think i would consider an enforced subscription in my best interests as due to finances and minor health issues etc i have now become more of an "armchair" member than an active club member. I do enjoy helping out on here when i can with my limited knowledge but if this is to be truncated by full member restrictions i would probably think about leaving the forum. Obviously this would not be my first choice and i would be interested to see what others think and i would value your input. Perhaps a voting tab with a few different options like a one off donation to become a contributing member(allow posting and access to technical forums ,post in threads and but not be a full member for club events,BMF etc) this would help out with club funds a bit.
Then the full member option you have outlined for people who are fully involved and integrated into the club at all levels.
Finally so as not to isolate anyone, a membership to the forum that allows people to just browse and see certain content on the site.
This might complicate things further for many of you that already go above and beyond the call of duty for the club but i feel options should be available for existing established members.
Hope to hear some feedback on this contentious issue, best wishes to all involved.
Steve.
0 x
MT 350 1996 The Albatross

appyarry

Post by appyarry » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:21 am

Why not convert all those that joined MTRC before a certain date (Pick your own) e.g. 1st of April 2012 and anyone who joins after that date will expect to pay an annual subscription.

I'd be happy with that. It covers all existing members from whatever date you chose and then the renewal fee will be due annually on whatever date you set as the annual renewal date.

This gives people time to budget.

Ta,
0 x
MT 604e :-)
Serveta Jet 200
Triumph Tigress 250
BSA C15 to be rebuilt as Scrambler
Sinclair Goddard PowerPak
Kalkhoff Endeavour 11 Speed Hub

ERNIE

Post by ERNIE » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:58 am

Simon
Just two Questions
Is this of and addition to people living outside the uk
and will any of the monies raised go to the forum funds
Cheers
Ernie
0 x

chippy1

Post by chippy1 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:51 am

£ 10 for the year a bargin
It costs me more than that to get my car washed.
I think over seas members should be free
Knowing Simon like i do Frenchy i am sure he will look
After our long standing members like yourself who's
Experiance and helpfull posts have benefited so many forum
Members.
0 x

Ska_Ranger

New Section on the forum.

Post by Ska_Ranger » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:46 am

I'd be happy to pay a £10 a year subscription on the basis that all duds were out back into the club - which I assume would be the case?
0 x

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:32 am

With all due respect, if you are going to start charging as a club then I would like to see accounts, where he money is going and who are the officers of the club, how are they elected etc.

I assume by club events you include the annual Wales event?

When will we be given access? At the moment I see I am not in the guest list.... :)
0 x
97 MT350 - 500e hybrid GL 72 AA
MT604 - 350 Hybrid - Blue Thunder.... 53 KL 70
2013 Kawasaki Z1000SX
Mighty XR400
Even mightier CanAm250
Peugeot Kisbee Scoot 102cc
Ex RAF Defender 90

Why do you need so many bikes when you only have one bum? Girls eh!

bth2bth2

Post by bth2bth2 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:54 am

this is a fantastic"club" and some people put enormous efforts into it , greatly appreciated by me.
to use the BMF as a tool ...no problem. am not impressed with the BMF due to their internal politics.i was once a member but if it gives us what we need then ok with me.
if the "club" has to become more formalised then so be it , as has been said,we have become a victim of our own success. no bad thing but does mean mr shiney's points are relevent.
a once a year, face to face , commitee meet would be a good idea. it could be tagged onto the big meet.
£10 a year ,for what you get , is not alot of money but could be to some.i have no problem with a yearly sub.
having a club bank account is a good idea and the way to go ,as long as the monies are transparant and used.ref the conway club? loads of cash sat in a bank doing nothing.???(i may be wrong on that point)
as to site access restrictions..... we must be the only forum/club that doesnt restrict access to certain areas to non members.
i do think though that membeship numbers would be finite due to the relative limited number of mt's in existance. however many that may be.

just a few thoughts

brian
0 x
Slowly slowly catchy monkey.............
CBR 900rrs , zrx1100.in green gone but not forgotten.....mt500 in green ,stolen and abused but still alive.......cos one day , all bikes will be this slowwwwwww

Terry

Post by Terry » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:01 pm

I dont mind paying a tenner a year even though I'm already in the BMF as a member of V.S.O.C ...[the {Yamaha} Virago/Star Owners Club].
Its only 20pence a week,and if it helps to "pay the rent" for the forum ..... 8-)

ride safe
T.
0 x