Finally got my MT500, but...

truslack

Finally got my MT500, but...

Post by truslack » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:18 am

Sserpent wrote:... I can't start the bloody thing. I knew it was going to be difficult, but a part of me didn't think it could be that difficult. That part has now been convinced. I've gotten her going twice, both just by sheer chance after kicking my lungs out, and after quite a few times of kicking my lungs out without anything happening. Having said that, she has been standing for almost a year, so cleaning the carb and sticking some fresh fuel in wouldn't hurt.
I only picked her up last night and my desk at work is already strewn with bits of MT.
I hope to get her MOT'd by next week some time, then I'll take you up on that green laning offer, Mr Kay.
Will stick up some pics when I get around to taking any.
One question though (1st of many, I'm sure), the kickstart doesn't appear to return to it's start position very well, is there a return spring or something somewhere? How does the whole thing work?

Regards
Neil
Sserpent wrote:Well, it’s official then I don’t know what I’m doing. :? I’ve had cars run rich before and that was white smoke, and I always thought blueish smoke meant oil. Rich diesels I know spew out black smoke. She definitely rich, that I can tell you, but when I try and lean her out by twiddling the screws on the carb she dies. But, not to get off topic here are some pictures. She’s still half undressed but I’ll sort that. I’ve got some panniers and bits and bobs, but they’re green. Soon to be sorted as I’ve ordered desert sand paint already. And I have some desert sand canvas pannier bags, so with any luck she’ll look more or less original.
0 x
1981 Suzuki GSX250E - Commuter
1986 Armstrong MT500 - Work horse - Needs engine rebuild
1987 Armstrong MT500 - Sidecar bike
1987 Suzuki RG125 - Project
1988 MZ ETZ 300