Facebook

A place for any non MT related guff...
Wirralman

Facebook

Post by Wirralman » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:59 am

Having been told that the forum chat has been replaced by Facebook, I signed up a few months ago. I didn't know how it really worked and have a sense of teaching an old dog new tricks but thought I would have a look

Frankly I find it highly intrusive, with for example a Friend request from the new girlfriend of my ex- almost brother-in law of 3 years ago. This girl lives 250 miles away, I have never met her nor am I likely to. Other requests from people living in Tamworth 80 miles away, a town I visited a few weeks earlier

Some MTRC members have sent Friend requests but I have no Friends at all So please don't get upset if you have submitted a Friend request and it has not been accepted
0 x

lardmarc

Re: Facebook

Post by lardmarc » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:16 am

That’s how it’s supposed to be. I bin all friend requests until they ring me up and ask me why I haven’t accepted. None of my family are on my friends list as I don’t want them seeing what a bunch of arseholes I associate with, you lot.
2 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).

Minter

Post by Minter » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:41 am

I Don't use my personal FB that often but the Sportax FB has been a huge success! Almost 1000 followers all around the world!
1 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

hounddog
Global Moderator

Post by hounddog » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:18 pm

The Facebook group hasn't replaced the forum chat , it is just running alongside .

All forum members are still welcome to chat on the forum , that hasn't changed.

The Facebook group started in a small way and has rapidly grown and a lot of traffic goes through there now , so we had to move with the times and not discourage it . The forum is still a great resource , especially for solving problems, access to manuals etc ,(none of which are on FB) and will keep going as before .

The forum depends on people posting on it to keep discussions going , the more it is used the better it is
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:04 pm

The forum hasnt been replaced by Facebook.
But for some of us it's more convenient, and you get a faster response when you need help. ;)
0 x

Derrick
Global Moderator

Post by Derrick » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:24 pm

Welcome to the 21st century, Eric.

Facebook is usually good for the short-term. It can be difficult to find something posted a day or two ago. The forum is far better for the mid to long term as posts can be found and tracked even after years.

Rule 1 with Facebook: only accept friends requests from those people you know and want to be associated with. You can join groups without having any other friends, but other group members may send you invites to be their friend.

Rule 2: you can just look. If you don't comment or like, then you are less likely to attract attention.

Bear in mind, when you join a group, the people in the group can find you and anything you post in the group will be seen by all others in that group, even if they are not your "friends".

As well as the groups, it is a good way of arranging a meeting in the calendar. Any updates can immediately be seen.

There are several related groups on Facebook, as well as the one hosed by the MT Riders. These cover CANAM/MT350/MT500 and military bikes and quads, as well as a more general one for any post WW2 military vehicles. Force and Sportax also have their following. There are some humorous military related groups if you understand the military humour.
0 x
1997 HD MT350
2002 Honda Pan European 1300

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:08 pm

Derrick wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:24 pm
Welcome to the 21st century, Eric.

Facebook is usually good for the short-term. It can be difficult to find something posted a day or two ago. The forum is far better for the mid to long term as posts can be found and tracked even after years.

Rule 1 with Facebook: only accept friends requests from those people you know and want to be associated with. You can join groups without having any other friends, but other group members may send you invites to be their friend.

Rule 2: you can just look. If you don't comment or like, then you are less likely to attract attention.

Bear in mind, when you join a group, the people in the group can find you and anything you post in the group will be seen by all others in that group, even if they are not your "friends".

As well as the groups, it is a good way of arranging a meeting in the calendar. Any updates can immediately be seen.

There are several related groups on Facebook, as well as the one hosed by the MT Riders. These cover CANAM/MT350/MT500 and military bikes and quads, as well as a more general one for any post WW2 military vehicles. Force and Sportax also have their following. There are some humorous military related groups if you understand the military humour.
If you bother to read my post I am merely explaining to those who have asked to be a Facebook Friend, that I am not accepting any friends and I don't want them to feel insulted.

I don't need a lecture nor a statement of the blindingly obvious , thank you.
0 x

arceye

Post by arceye » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:46 pm

I don't feel so bad I didn't send you a friend request now Eric.
I know what you mean about people you never see. I have lots of friends I will probably never meet again. So rather than see everything they post, including what they had for dinner I "unfollow" them.
And if you really don't like anything a particularly obnoxious member of the group posts you can "block" them. Only had to do that once so far. ;)
2 x
MT 405
Phil

deadgrass.

Post by deadgrass. » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:47 pm

lol,
i'm not a big facebook fan either eric, that said i do look on there but not sure what i'm doing some of the time,
i prefer this forum for a more detailed and logged journey with these bikes and riders,
the forum has become quieter more recently though,
i for one shall try to post more.

dave.
1 x
born to be waserk
thank god for atheism.
sometimes your front legs need to be stiff and the fur on your arse vertical.

deadgrass.

Post by deadgrass. » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:48 pm

ps ,you dint send me a friend request.

dave.
1 x
born to be waserk
thank god for atheism.
sometimes your front legs need to be stiff and the fur on your arse vertical.