Defender 90

A place for you Landy'ers to converse without boring the rest of us (wink!)
Mr Shiney

Re: Defender 90

Post by Mr Shiney » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:59 am

TDIPower wrote:yes they did fit winches, tend to be superwinch units fitted to the SAS and 'special' ops vehicles, the 127 rapier gun tractors used Warn 8274 if memory serves.

Pete
Thanks Pete, were these on the special winch bumpers you see or bolted to the existing one?

Engine is all in and running now. I plan on doing the new intercooler in the next week and possibly change the radiator. The 200 Tdi one is serviceable but missing a lot of cooling fins from corrossion. The cooling is fine but I am worried the rad may leak..
0 x

Green Goblin

Post by Green Goblin » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:07 pm

Mr Shiney wrote:
TDIPower wrote:yes they did fit winches, tend to be superwinch units fitted to the SAS and 'special' ops vehicles, the 127 rapier gun tractors used Warn 8274 if memory serves.

Pete
Thanks Pete, were these on the special winch bumpers you see or bolted to the existing one?

Engine is all in and running now. I plan on doing the new intercooler in the next week and possibly change the radiator. The 200 Tdi one is serviceable but missing a lot of cooling fins from corrossion. The cooling is fine but I am worried the rad may leak..
Did you cambelt the engine whilst it was out.
0 x

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:23 pm

Yep, fully serviced it including cam belt. Seemed a waste not to do it while it was on the engine stand. I did reuse the radiator which is pretty much shagged, whole rows of fins corroded away just to get it up and running. I have now bought a new 'performance' radiator to replace it which I will fit in the morning.

That will pave the way for fitting the Allard intercooler and then a bit of fuel pump tinkering.

Do you know where the tow bar electrics go when the come out of the back of the towbar? I need to use both the NATO socket and standard 7 pin and can't find a converter so will need to fit a second socket.
0 x

TDIPower

Post by TDIPower » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:22 pm

Special winch bumper BUT if you have the drop pin in the front bumper you could get a winch and make a cradle so it is demountable and then make it to fit the rear hitch too, cable to front and rear then you can pull yourself out backwards rather than through the problem... always a nice option!!
Then do you want battery, hydrolic or mechanical winch??

Just had a look http://www.flickr.com/photos/byjr/3775055101/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this is a warn 8274, they are a 'tall' winch and this one has a special plate so it still has the drop pin for recovery the same as the 127's. I was sure the SAS units used the superwinch like this http://www.quothquan-workshops.co.uk/sale/veh1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Im not 100% on the MOD loom BUT from memory

the loom runs down the O/S chassis leg and up behind the pannel ontop of the wheel arch. you will gain access to all the lighting connections there. it comes up then loops down and across to the N/S pannel for those lights.
You should also find a much thicker purple wire which is a HD live feed via a fuse from the battery. so you can use this as a power point to fit a rear work light fit a relay behind the same pannel then you can run a thin wire to the front to a switch. also fit a cig/power point in the back. It should be connected into the NATO socket on the back too.
0 x
MT350

Green Goblin

Post by Green Goblin » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:47 pm

Make a converter. Some one who used to work at a well known MOD disposal place use to sell them on ebay.
0 x

TDIPower

Post by TDIPower » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:21 pm

I think i have the wiring for the MOD socket BUT it does not conform to the normal trailer lighting. Sidelights are split N/S and O/S the MOD socket has them linked IIRC.

Also it looks like your 90 was a 12/24v unit as it has the wingmounted radio option. I know on the series the whole vehicle was 24v, I think im correct in that with the defender they went to 12v vehicle with a 24v gen and bits for the radio gear (shed load of wiring extra)

See if you can get an MOD plug, wire it to the removable drop plate with 12n socket.

Pete
0 x
MT350

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:08 am

It was a 12/24v system until we did the engine swap last week. Now it's just 12v. The trailer is a 24v Wulf trailer so have to change the bulbs when I get a chance.

I have a couple of choices, remove the NATO 12 pin and replace with a standard 7 pin and rewire the Sankey, make a convertor to present a 7 pin and keep the Sankey as it is or add a 7 pin to the new tow bar and keep both types of electrics.

I have not had a chance to look but I assume that the behind the hatch next to the rear bench seat the NATO wire is plugged into a standard Landrover loom? Would this be the best place to tap in?

I have two spare plugs with cable on them that were lying in the bottom of the Sankey so could build a convertor if I get the wire diagram. But it's not as neat as I am looking for.
0 x

TDIPower

Post by TDIPower » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:04 am

yep the 'hatch' on the inside or back edge of the pannel the tail lights are mounted on. should be one on each side protecting the back of the light holders and all the wiring.

if you look under the tub near the cross member you will see the loom come out from the inside edge of the drivers main chassis rail. it loops up into the are behind the pannel to bullet connectors, then the lights for that side plug in and the trailer socket and a loom which drops down across the cross member linking in the lights from the N/S.

Ill try and post up the colours later... need to go get food shopping.

Pete
0 x
MT350

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:02 pm

Thanks Pete, that would be much appreciated. Your depth of knowledge on this is amazing!
0 x

Derrick
Global Moderator

Post by Derrick » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:42 pm

When I was at Withams on Friday with a friend from work who is after a Defender 90, most were FFR. Having only dealt with Series FFRs which were totally 24V, we discussed this with the salesman.

He said that these are not like the series, the vehicle is all 12V, with a second heavy duty 24V alternator only feeding the radio batteries in the tub. Most people just remove the extra alternator and it's wiring.

Being diesel, there is not the same problems of radio interference from the ignition system, so no need for all the protected cable in the Series FFRs.
0 x
1997 HD MT350
2002 Honda Pan European 1300