Defender 90

A place for you Landy'ers to converse without boring the rest of us (wink!)
Mr Shiney

Defender 90

Post by Mr Shiney » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:31 pm

I am just looking at getting one of the Withams Defender 90 circa late 80's. What engine is in it and wheat could go in it?

Any gotchas, advice etc?
0 x

Green Goblin

Re: Defender 90

Post by Green Goblin » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:34 pm

You can put any thing you like in it but probably a 200tdi, 300tdi or a V8 and power steering might be worth fitting. I think the engine in it will be a 2.5 na diesel.
0 x

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:36 pm

What's the standard engine like? Easy to work on? Primary use is going to be off road, round my garden, green lanes, going shooting etc. I am looking at getting one of the Sankey trailers to pick logs up etc.

In fact generally speaking what are they like to work on?

What sort of price should I be looking at?
0 x

Green Goblin

Post by Green Goblin » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:42 pm

There the MT of the landrover world. You get out what you put in. I had a 90 once you could never get much of any thing in the back. My 109 was a lot more useful. The price will be a lot more than a civi one due to it being painted bull shet green.
0 x

TDIPower

Post by TDIPower » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:44 pm

it will be a 2.5 naturally 'asphyxiated' diesel from experience you get more for your money with a stock civy vehicle than an MOD unit.

Check the footwells and round the A pillar vent flaps bellow the windscreen tend to get a lot of rot there. Bulkhead outriggers and rear cross member, chassis leg behind rear axle to crossmember it dips down like a U bend, the drain hols get blocked then they rot through.
check the chrome on the front swivel housings lock to lock for pitting/oil leaks. Look everywhere that mud/water/crap would be flung by the wheels.
Suspension bushes, A frame bushes on the rear Axle, they all tend to need replacing every few years. Ive tried all the various polly bushes but you cant beat genuine Landrover parts (if you are new to landrovers NEVER buy any Britpart spares they dont last, very poor quality control, think production quality of the the 70's on a friday afternoon after they were on strike Mon-Thurs).

Pete
0 x
MT350

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:45 pm

Brilliant thanks guys, just the sort of advice I need!

This is a complete new direction for me!

Keep it coming.
0 x

woodruff

Post by woodruff » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:00 pm

You really can't get much in the back of one, the sankey is not spacious either, If you are looking for a load lugger then the LWB is a far better choice especialy without the bulkhead.

If its only for the garden stick with the original horrible? engine (Its not that bad in a farm type situation)

If you want to go green laning - get an SJ :) .......... or a 200tdi Disco a sledgehammer and a box of steering arms/linkages.
0 x

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:08 pm

I dont intend on putting much in the back. Mostly guns and ammo and the dog!

The trailer will be used for carrying Jerry cans around the airfield and the odd cubic metre of logs for the fire.

I just want something as a bit of toy in the same class as the MT really. It's also a bit of nostalgia, I learnt to drive in a RAF Land rover, the predecessor to the Defendor and remember being so excited when we got the first of the new 90 back in around 86!!
0 x

Franc

Post by Franc » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:16 pm

If you stick the 200tdi unit in it they acn be tweeked very easily to the same performance as the 300tdi, but with better reliability. ;)
0 x

Green Goblin

Post by Green Goblin » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:29 pm

Mr Shiney wrote:Mostly guns and ammo and the dog
Thats about all you will get in the back. The sankey will be easily up to the job. Just check around the tub where it covers the wheels, they tend to rot a bit on the corners.
0 x