New to me - Series 2 Ambulance

A place for you Landy'ers to converse without boring the rest of us (wink!)
Green Goblin

Re: New to me - Series 2 Ambulance

Post by Green Goblin » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:41 pm

It looks like its got a series 3 gear box. Are you going to stick with the 2 1/4 ?
0 x

TDIPower

Post by TDIPower » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:03 pm

Green Goblin wrote:It looks like its got a series 3 gear box. Are you going to stick with the 2 1/4 ?

One thing I learnt about the MOD... they have a nasty habit of changing stuff. The main box blew in my LtWt. I stripped it (1st box I ever did) made a list of all the bits i needed, got the suffix letter off the case, went to my local supplier and ordered all my bits. I happend to have the main shaft with me to ask about some marks on it. He said its a good job you have this because ill cancel all the order you just made... The box was stamped up as a suffix B... the internals were all the latest suffix D... all of which he had in stock.

Is it fitted with all the convoy/infra red lighting/switching/relays.
Id still love to do a 200TDi LtWt with a Stage 1 front axel/full time 4 wheel drive.

The Pig would be good with a disco TDi dropped in it. The Sailsbury axle should be up for it. If you want a spare rear axle there is one sat in my mates garden..
0 x
MT350

emosavvy

Post by emosavvy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:25 pm

TDIPower wrote: Id be interested to see if it has the dual line servo assist brake system
No servo, fitted a new master cylinder and it was a late sII one.
0 x

emosavvy

Post by emosavvy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:29 pm

Green Goblin wrote:It looks like its got a series 3 gear box. Are you going to stick with the 2 1/4 ?
Whats the difference between the gearboxes? Sticking with what is in it for now or at least until I get sick of putting petrol in it :oops:

Good news is MOT passed now :D and waiting for DVLA office to hurry up and inspect it.
0 x

TDIPower

Post by TDIPower » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:27 pm

It could still be a 2A box.. the gear sticks on the 2A were 'cranked' where yours isnt like the S3, however the gear sticks have a habit of breaking off.

The internal differences 2A had no syncro on 1-2-3 gears but did on 3-4 where as the S3 did syncro on all 4 gears. SO double de clutching was required on 1-2-3 shifts but not on 3-4.
The 2A box was a stronger box.

I doubt though that it would still have a 2A box after all these years. most engines and boxes got rebuilt, if the engine is in the green colour its been rebuilt at some point by the MOD/Landrover.

Pete
0 x
MT350

Green Goblin

Post by Green Goblin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:49 am

TDIPower wrote: the S3, however the gear sticks have a habit of breaking off.Pete
I know a chap who drove a lightweight in the first gulf war with a screw driver as a gear lever.
0 x

surfermick

Post by surfermick » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:10 am

is it petrol or diesel emos, whats the chassis like, much welding? have you cleaned up inside too?
0 x

surfermick

Post by surfermick » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:12 am

its got the series 3 grill and bonnet too, might be that the army had to replace the whole lot at some point so chucked the whole series 3 front on. its certainly had a life ;)
0 x