Discovery TD5 Blown head gasket ?

A place for you Landy'ers to converse without boring the rest of us (wink!)
CADMAN

Discovery TD5 Blown head gasket ?

Post by CADMAN » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:42 am

I have a nasty feeling that my Discovery TD5 (year 2000) may have a blown head gasket :o . It has started losing water I am putting in about a pint every hundred miles :( . It is starting and running perfectly though. I did wonder if it could be a dodgy themostat causing the problem as the heater does not always get hot even when the motor is warmed up . Are there any easy tests I can do to try to find the cause, or rule out any possibilities :?: Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Dave.
0 x
MT 350 1995
Suzuki GS550E 1979
Honda CB500 XA 2015

TBM

Re: Discovery TD5 Blown head gasket ?

Post by TBM » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:55 am

Obvious gasket failure is easy to spot, but slight problems are harder!

A good garage will be able to gas test your coolant to show if there are any combustion gasses present, which would indicate a failure.
0 x

TBM

Post by TBM » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:59 am

Is the engine itself running hot?

A blocked/stuck thermostat could cause lack of heat to the heater, and an engine overheat causing loss of fluid.

An airlock on the pipe could also cause the lack of heat, but not the loss of water.
0 x

CADMAN

Post by CADMAN » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:13 pm

TBM wrote:Is the engine itself running hot?

A blocked/stuck thermostat could cause lack of heat to the heater, and an engine overheat causing loss of fluid.

An airlock on the pipe could also cause the lack of heat, but not the loss of water.

Thanks for the reply. No the engine is not running hot, although I have noticed the electric fan running a few times lately after stopping as I walk away, it has never done that until recently, and I have had the motor 9 years.
0 x
MT 350 1995
Suzuki GS550E 1979
Honda CB500 XA 2015

TBM

Post by TBM » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:28 pm

CADMAN wrote:
TBM wrote:Is the engine itself running hot?

Thanks for the reply. No the engine is not running hot, although I have noticed the electric fan running a few times lately after stopping as I walk away, it has never done that until recently, and I have had the motor 9 years.
I'd do a quick thermostat check/change. Providing the bolts aren't siezed it should be a fairly easy job (or just take it out, it's not so essential in this weather). You can test it in a pan of hot water to see if it opens and closes properly, although you'll need a thermometer to see if opens at the right temperature.
0 x

appyarry

Post by appyarry » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:17 pm

The only problem with leaving the thermostat out is the engine rarely gets up to the Correct Operating Temperature, however if the thermostat is sticking closed then removing it will stop the engine overheating. You can always block off part of the grill to get the engine nearer the COT.

Good Luck,
0 x
MT 604e :-)
Serveta Jet 200
Triumph Tigress 250
BSA C15 to be rebuilt as Scrambler
Sinclair Goddard PowerPak
Kalkhoff Endeavour 11 Speed Hub

TDIPower

Post by TDIPower » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:09 pm

Check the oil cap for 'mayonnaise' if you are getting water into the oil system due to head gasket failure this is a sign.

It might be worth getting a pressure test done on the cooling system, you may find a split hose, damaged radiator matrix or heater matrix.
I had the heater matrix fail on the 110 at a similar age, I was finding condensation on the inside of the windscreen as the weather was cooler when I had stopped for a while. The water was finding its way out of the matrix and condensing on the screen.

Pete
0 x
MT350

CADMAN

Post by CADMAN » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:46 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will have a closer look tomorrow.
0 x
MT 350 1995
Suzuki GS550E 1979
Honda CB500 XA 2015