land rover series 2, any problems

A place for you Landy'ers to converse without boring the rest of us (wink!)
surfermick

Re: land rover series 2, any problems

Post by surfermick » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:56 am

thanks again guys, Mr Shiney, it will be my intention to replace parts with the better quality parts in the hope that the Landy will be with me for some time ;) ive just learned that this series 2 has the later 2a 2.25 engine fitted, this im pleased with. high miles will not be done in it, but maintanence will be done happily in the hope that the car will stay with me. and thanks woody, i can bet i will try chasing at least a few of the above but your words may speed my discovery of the fruitless chase sooner :)
0 x

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:58 am

woodruff wrote:Mick, I have run several series landys series 3 and a 2 and a S1 that I still have authough not roadworthy....

I learnt several things (but very slowly and wish you a speedy learning curve):

1- don't buy any part with 'part' in the brand name.
2- the original wheels and tyre aspect ratios are the best, changing these will just make things more crapy.
3- if a part has not failed or actually broken don't get caught out thinking replacing it might somehow magicly make things better.
4- If you start thinking 'how can I make this more comfortable at 50mph' instead work out how you can be happier at 40mph - believe me it's eaisier.
5- The fact you see other series landrovers on the road does not mean those owners have fewer problems than you.

And finally here is a list of things you should never bother trying to fix unless you find the key to everlasting life and the secret of perpetual wealth:-
- Drafts
- Leaks (cockpit)
- Minor oil leaks
- Mpg
- Road noise
- Wind noise
- Hinge play
- Rattles
- Panel shut lines
- 'The smell
- The heater
- steering play
- Hand brake perfection
Absolutely bang on!!! With one exception...... I found a state of Nirvana with the handbrake, I ripped out and put an X-Brake on. It will hang vertically on the handbrake now!!
0 x
97 MT350 - 500e hybrid GL 72 AA
MT604 - 350 Hybrid - Blue Thunder.... 53 KL 70
2013 Kawasaki Z1000SX
Mighty XR400
Even mightier CanAm250
Peugeot Kisbee Scoot 102cc
Ex RAF Defender 90

Why do you need so many bikes when you only have one bum? Girls eh!

TBM

Post by TBM » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:37 pm

woodruff wrote:Mick, I have run several series landys series 3 and a 2 and a S1 that I still have authough not roadworthy....

I learnt several things (but very slowly and wish you a speedy learning curve):

1- don't buy any part with 'part' in the brand name.
2- the original wheels and tyre aspect ratios are the best, changing these will just make things more crapy.
3- if a part has not failed or actually broken don't get caught out thinking replacing it might somehow magicly make things better.
4- If you start thinking 'how can I make this more comfortable at 50mph' instead work out how you can be happier at 40mph - believe me it's eaisier.
5- The fact you see other series landrovers on the road does not mean those owners have fewer problems than you.

And finally here is a list of things you should never bother trying to fix unless you find the key to everlasting life and the secret of perpetual wealth:-
- Drafts
- Leaks (cockpit)
- Minor oil leaks
- Mpg
- Road noise
- Wind noise
- Hinge play
- Rattles
- Panel shut lines
- 'The smell
- The heater
- steering play
- Hand brake perfection
I had a slightly different perspective - if a part was safety crucial, or took hours to fit, I would try and go OEM where funds allowed. If a part was a 30 min swap/fix and failure of that part would not kill me, I would go for one of the various 'part' style manufacturers.

I ran with 265/75 x 16 Insa SpecialTraks. Looked the part and would go through anything. Found the original wheels and tyres just too 'weedy'.

Agree with 3, 4 and 5 and most of the others.

Steering play is OK with a well maintained system from ball joints back to steering box adjustment.

I solved the heating problem - fitted an aftermarket Clayton shin burner (my S2A didn't have a heater when I bought her) in the passenger footwell and fitted a second heater from an old mini between the front seats. VERY toasty.
0 x

surfermick

Post by surfermick » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:06 pm

i hung my speed boots up some time ago, happy to bimble these days, somany holiday makers, tractors and walkers around here 40/50 is max anyway, even on the mt ;)
0 x

jungleMTbiker

Post by jungleMTbiker » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:56 am

So what did you decide, Mick?

I agree with what others have said, don't try fixing drafts, minor leaks, etc.

I recently fitted 245/75-16 tyres to one of my S2a's, but this would not have been possible had I not already fitted a set of wider 109 wheels, which I believe came from either a SIII 109 or maybe a 109 1 ton. Those wheels were on a S2a 109 when I got them, but I don't believe they were original to that 109. The sidewalls say "245", but they are actually wider than a 265 tyre that I had laying around the shop.

Living in the tropics, I never feel the need for a heater, though a demister would be nice--now I keep a clean, dry cloth on the narrow shelf just under the windscreen, between the vents and I refer to that as my "manual demister". I use it pretty much every morning on the way to work an it works well.

Owning and driving a "cult" vehicle like an old Land Rover has worked out very well for me--I do all my own maintenance and repair and there are loads of helpful people out there who are willing to help you sort things out. To be honest, most of the maintenance and repair I have done has been dead simple, with only a few challenges. Spares availability seems to be very good, I get most of my parts from British Pacific/Atlantic British in the US, but that's only because it's a lot easier/cheaper for me to ship parts from there to here than from the UK to here.
0 x

surfermick

Post by surfermick » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:56 pm

im on the hunt for a good series 2, 2a or 3 on a galvanised chassis with the 2.25 diesel engine, its proving to be difficult, a few have come up but they have be 300+ miles away and i was hoping for closer, i think i may have to test the thing on purchase and drive it a long way back, maybe do a youth hostel or two and break the journey. i have a mate in the trade that is keeping an eye out too. although i must say its fun looking.. i hope to only buy once so want a good one Jungle.
0 x