land rover series 2, any problems

A place for you Landy'ers to converse without boring the rest of us (wink!)
surfermick

land rover series 2, any problems

Post by surfermick » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:27 pm

i have a series 2 land rover for sale near me, its pre 1960 so mot and tax free, id settled on the idea of a series 3 believing a 3 would bea safer bet and more reliable for regular use. apart from the obvious rust troubles with a car of this age would there be any other down side compared to a series 3. anybody clued up :) better to ask than to make an expensive mistake ;)
0 x

TBM

Re: land rover series 2, any problems

Post by TBM » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:38 pm

A few differences between the S2 and S3. Major ones are Centre dash - quirky but OK, individual wipers and no synchro on 1st and 2nd.

All fairly easy to live with. Most bits are interchangeable between S2 and S3 so you may already have many upgrades. Check carefully, as you may just have a later S2A/S3 with S2 plates on to gain MOT and Tax exemption.
0 x

TJRL

Post by TJRL » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:05 pm

I have a 1960 built S2 that I had restored a couple of years ago, so if you have any particular questions just PM me OR for really good advice check out the S2 club forum at http://www.series2club.co.uk/forum/forum/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. They are just as helpful as MT Riders and very friendly to new comers.

The main differences with the SIIIs is that they have the plastic dash with over steering wheel instruments, the heater intake is in the n/s wing and they have wing mounted headlights (as did the very late S2a). Other than that they are very similar and of course a well looked after pre 1960 S2 will be much better/safer/reliable than a poorly maintained 1970s or later S3.

Good luck, any Land Rover is a duty of love (like MTs!) and more so with the older ones. As mentioned check the engine/gearbox/axle numbers to ensure it is not a later vehicle being passed off as pre 1960 to avoid tax & mot.
0 x
1997 MT350 (with 500e) - Sold 2014 :(
1999 MT350 (With 604e) - Sold 2018 :( :(
2014 F800 GT
2018 R1200RT LE
1960 SII Land Rover SWB SW

surfermick

Post by surfermick » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:15 pm

thanks TBM, im aware of the possible reg swaps for tax/mot dodges, i went up to see a chap with three series 2/2a's and he showed me a few differences to look for for tell tail signs of swapsies. i actually prefer the series 2/2a dash. i remember him telling me about some differences and i now recall something about the gearbox (thanks) i gather this meansthe gears arnt in order and having to feel your way around the gears a bit, but as they are so slow anyway i wouldnt see it being a big drawback. ive got till friday to decide whether to go for this series 2, its a clean one.
0 x

surfermick

Post by surfermick » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:19 pm

thanks too TJRL, i joined the series 11/11a owners club a while back, indeed a friendly bunch, i did get the feeling most thought the series2's were not suitable for regular use, it put doubt in my head and swung me towards the 3's. but this early one has come up for sale. i shall pop back into the club to look about again. thanks guys.
0 x

TBM

Post by TBM » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:23 pm

The lack of synchro just means you'll need to double declutch while changing gear. Often you should be OK going up the gears, but going down the box is when you'll notice lack of synchro. Otherwise the forward gears are in the normal H pattern. As with everything on a Land Rover, there is a certain amount of 'play'.

Had two S2A's until about a year ago, did around 12K miles a year so very familiar with them. Had a S3 before that!

Maintenance is straightforward and regular!
0 x

surfermick

Post by surfermick » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:51 pm

well 12k is good mileage indeed. i wouldnt do half of that. im cool with regular maintenance, quality oil, grease nipples, adjustments etc, just be so nice to be able to get to bits on there, i hate fiddling with new cars, cant get at anything and all the parts are very poor, hardly worth fitting them.
0 x

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:34 am

all the parts are very poor, hardly worth fitting them.
That will prepare you for buying landrover parts then, especially "shitpart".....
0 x
97 MT350 - 500e hybrid GL 72 AA
MT604 - 350 Hybrid - Blue Thunder.... 53 KL 70
2013 Kawasaki Z1000SX
Mighty XR400
Even mightier CanAm250
Peugeot Kisbee Scoot 102cc
Ex RAF Defender 90

Why do you need so many bikes when you only have one bum? Girls eh!

TJRL

Post by TJRL » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:51 am

I think that 12k per year is possible but it will require more maintenance than a modern eurobox would, as the servicing back in the day was on a much shorter timeframes / mileages.
Maintenance is straightforward and regular!
- How true.

Regarding the gearbox, I cheated and had a S3 box fitted to my S2 so no double de-clutching required. However gear changes still have to be taken at a leisurely pace as these vehicles cannot be rushed!
0 x
1997 MT350 (with 500e) - Sold 2014 :(
1999 MT350 (With 604e) - Sold 2018 :( :(
2014 F800 GT
2018 R1200RT LE
1960 SII Land Rover SWB SW

woodruff

Post by woodruff » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:48 pm

Mick, I have run several series landys series 3 and a 2 and a S1 that I still have authough not roadworthy....

I learnt several things (but very slowly and wish you a speedy learning curve):

1- don't buy any part with 'part' in the brand name.
2- the original wheels and tyre aspect ratios are the best, changing these will just make things more crapy.
3- if a part has not failed or actually broken don't get caught out thinking replacing it might somehow magicly make things better.
4- If you start thinking 'how can I make this more comfortable at 50mph' instead work out how you can be happier at 40mph - believe me it's eaisier.
5- The fact you see other series landrovers on the road does not mean those owners have fewer problems than you.

And finally here is a list of things you should never bother trying to fix unless you find the key to everlasting life and the secret of perpetual wealth:-
- Drafts
- Leaks (cockpit)
- Minor oil leaks
- Mpg
- Road noise
- Wind noise
- Hinge play
- Rattles
- Panel shut lines
- 'The smell
- The heater
- steering play