Parabolic springs

A place for you Landy'ers to converse without boring the rest of us (wink!)
TBM

Re: Parabolic springs

Post by TBM » Tue May 20, 2014 11:05 am

I used a pair of tarantula lifting shackles with my parabolics. They were only about £30 and came with all the necessary bolts and washers. Not sure if they're still available, although easily made if you have access to a pillar drill!

You can alter the steering stops to prevent the tyres rubbing.

245 sounds a bit large to be fitting on standard rims? I had 265's on mine, but had wider wheels.
0 x

jungleMTbiker

Post by jungleMTbiker » Tue May 20, 2014 11:17 am

Yeah, the 245's are a little wide, not sure if they'd pass MOT in the UK or not. Thank goodness nobody here seems to care. I do have 2 sets of 109" wheels and one set is about 1/2" wider than the other, maybe they came off of a 109" 1 ton? They don't look as wide as the wheels off of a Forward Control model, though. (I also have a set of 88" wheels that are very narrow.)

Before I chose the 245's, I got ahold of a used 265/70 tyre and trial fitted it to a 109 rim (one of my narrower ones). Then I installed it on front and rear axles and checked clearances and everything looked very good. I then went on to the Popular Auction Site and bought my tyres--I did it that way because tyres here are very expensive, but are comparatively cheap in the in the USA and I have friends who can ship things from there for me. Including the cost of shipping by sea freight, they still cost less than bias ply 7.50 x 16 Bridgestone Jeep Service tyres, which are about the cheapest tyre you can get here.

Anyway, I decided to be cautious and ordered 245/75 tyres, thinking that they would be 20 narrower than the 265/70 that I had trial fit. Imagine my surprise when the 245's arrived and actually measured about 20mm WIDER than the 265!! They were, however, almost exactly the same height as the 7.50x16's I had on there before, there were only a few milimeters difference.

With no small amount of anxiety, I went ahead and fitted the 245's, as shipping them back to the US was not an option. I was very relieved to find that they actually did fit and do not rub on the bodywork anywhere, just on the springs. I was already thinking about adjusting the stops to keep the tyres from rubbing, so I guess that's what I'll do.

For my next trick, I plan to install a locker equipped ENV axle out of a 109" 1 ton!
Last edited by jungleMTbiker on Tue May 20, 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

TBM

Post by TBM » Tue May 20, 2014 11:26 am

Here we go - you can just make out the red shackles and parabolics. It was also on Insa Special Trak tyres.
0 x

jungleMTbiker

Post by jungleMTbiker » Tue May 20, 2014 11:28 am

Those shackles remind me of the military shackles--are they the same length as the military ones?
0 x

TBM

Post by TBM » Tue May 20, 2014 11:39 am

jungleMTbiker wrote:Those shackles remind me of the military shackles--are they the same length as the military ones?
Similar - they were also adjustable and had three different height settings. I think I was on the middle for the front and the highest for the rear. The reality was that they were just eight rectangular chunks of 8mm (ish) flat bar with some matching holes drilled in. However, they were over £100 cheaper than a set of military shackles!
0 x

jungleMTbiker

Post by jungleMTbiker » Tue May 20, 2014 11:58 am

I was considering using a piece of armour out of a P-38 Lightning--it's about 10mm thick. And before anybody cries "foul" for my cutting up a piece of history--let the record show that it was a complete and beautiful piece of armour plate until I turned my back one day and one of my co-worker/employees grabbed it and decided to use it to practice his torch cutting!!!

I still have a complete piece of pilot's armour out of a P-47 and another out of a P-40 though, carefully squirrelled away where peopel with gas axes can't find them so all is not lost.

I have one original LR Series military shackle that I could use as a pattern, but I don't know if I want to go quite that long. I think it's 5 1/2 or 6 inches long.
0 x