im about to buy a series landrover.

A place for you Landy'ers to converse without boring the rest of us (wink!)
Lardmarc

Re: im about to buy a series landrover.

Post by Lardmarc » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:30 pm

surfermick wrote:thats what im fed up with doing Lard, scrapping vehicle, i have this dream of buying a series land rover and it being with me until retirement ;)

They're not worth much once you've rolled them mate. Sentimentality for a car is a lovely thought but after a couple of seasons belting through lanes, smashing mirrors off, denting rims so badly it also writes the tyre off and launching boats with the exhaust burbling away under water you soon get used to the idea of knowing what parts to take off it when it goes off to the great scrap yard in the sky. That's only during my working day, you have to feel sorry for the poor old things when I take them out for a thrashing on Dartmoor.
This is half the fun, the blue disco was 'Triggers broom'. Not that I ever did but I would imagine that if it was to ever do a ton going down Holden hill it wouldn't have helped it live to a ripe old age.

Go Discovery.
Last edited by Lardmarc on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

donk

Post by donk » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:37 pm

I dont think they have more head room just more leg room.
The seat is adjustable to an extent. You knee isnt as trapped and feels like more elbow room.
0 x

surfermick

Post by surfermick » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:02 am

thanks donk, id not heard that before.
0 x

TBM

Post by TBM » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:54 am

'Cockpit' space is virtually identical between a Series 2, 2A and 3. All the parts/doors/bulkheads are interchangable.

However, what does differ is the cockpit space between the 88" and 109". The rear bulkhead in the 109" is further back, and you can get a sliding seat base.

There are various things you can do to extend leg room. You can get a rear bulkhead removal bar, which allows you to mount the seat further back (although you will need to upgrade to Defender seats as the Series seat rest on the rear bulkhead)

Another way is to fit seat risers. This gives a more legroom, and also allows you to move the seat further back (as the rear bulkhead has a slant to it). I stuck some 50mm ally box under mine, and it improved things considerably. However, I had a 13" steering wheel - a normal size one and your legs might catch.

I spent two years doing a daily 50 mile commute in a 1963 88". I now have a £300 Fiesta, and am now warm, dry, relaxed, far better off financially and can do things at the weekend rather than constant maintenance. :) After around 10 years of various S3 and S2a Land Rovers I seriously wish I'd have got rid of them earlier....
0 x

surfermick

Post by surfermick » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:12 am

thanks TBM. im going to give a landy a go, i can sell it if it doesnt work out as i hope. the thing for me is i live up a rough track and have spent many weekends trying to repair renaults, fords, peugeots etc because they fall apart on the lane. often i cant repair them because of tight space issues so have to fork out on garage bills. while im busy with work i am happy to hand it over to a garage and pay them £45 and hour while i go and earn one third of that but i would be just as happy to take a day off and do it myself, thus earning £45 an hour at home :D
0 x

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:33 am

I have an ex MOD Defender 90 that I put a 200 TDI into. Go anywhere truck and easy to fix plus I get nearly 30mph from it and it will drive at proper road speeds.
0 x
97 MT350 - 500e hybrid GL 72 AA
MT604 - 350 Hybrid - Blue Thunder.... 53 KL 70
2013 Kawasaki Z1000SX
Mighty XR400
Even mightier CanAm250
Peugeot Kisbee Scoot 102cc
Ex RAF Defender 90

Why do you need so many bikes when you only have one bum? Girls eh!

Derrick
Global Moderator

Post by Derrick » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:29 am

Mr Shiney wrote:I have an ex MOD Defender 90 that I put a 200 TDI into. Go anywhere truck and easy to fix plus I get nearly 30mph from it and it will drive at proper road speeds.
If it's for everyday use, that's a good option.
0 x
1997 HD MT350
2002 Honda Pan European 1300

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:33 am

Derrick wrote:
Mr Shiney wrote:I have an ex MOD Defender 90 that I put a 200 TDI into. Go anywhere truck and easy to fix plus I get nearly 30mph from it and it will drive at proper road speeds.
Mine is just a toy for green lanes and collecting firewood but it has proved to be reliable and cheap to run.
0 x
97 MT350 - 500e hybrid GL 72 AA
MT604 - 350 Hybrid - Blue Thunder.... 53 KL 70
2013 Kawasaki Z1000SX
Mighty XR400
Even mightier CanAm250
Peugeot Kisbee Scoot 102cc
Ex RAF Defender 90

Why do you need so many bikes when you only have one bum? Girls eh!

donk

Post by donk » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:43 am

The interior space is virtually identical but as we all know an extra inch can make all the difference. ;)
0 x

surfermick

Post by surfermick » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:02 pm

Derrick wrote:
i thought id replied to this this morning but must have fluffed it. i do have a tdi engine in mind, i am waiting to see what crops up, if i get one with the old engine in and its seem too thirsty i can drop one in.
0 x