im about to buy a series landrover.

A place for you Landy'ers to converse without boring the rest of us (wink!)
surfermick

im about to buy a series landrover.

Post by surfermick » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:44 am

im after a land rover, been working for a few months to put a few ££'s by, im now starting to keep an eye out. having looked at series 2/2a's for tax free purposes im now under the illusion the series 3 would be a more usable motor for daily use. im grateful for any knowledge out there. im after low tech, i accept the fuel economy side of things, i live up a rough lane and spend thousands trying to keep economical car/vans running over it. i dream of replacing parts on a vehicle that i can keep going :D instead of some tester saying "hmm, sorry mate, that car/vans a scrapper" :cry:
0 x

surfermick

Re: im about to buy a series landrover.

Post by surfermick » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:51 am

i will be buying a trailer, be great for work and i would be able to travel to some events with the bike. :D
0 x

TJRL

Post by TJRL » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:47 am

It all depends on the condition, a good SII will be much better than a poor S3. Some like; the plastic dash, "in front of driver" instruments and better heater of the S3 others prefer the look of the "in grill" headlights of the SII and SIIa (NB very late SIIa like the S3 had the headlights in the wings). If looks matter to you the earlier SIIs had deeper sills than the later SIIa and S3 and in my opinion look better.

I belong to the Series 2 Club which has an excellent website and forum (a bit like here!!) http://www.series2club.co.uk/forum/forum/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I highly recommend spending some time on there even if you do not join they will answer any question you could possibly ask!

I have a 1960 build SII and will be up at Stafford if you want to discuss Series ownership in more detail.
0 x
1997 MT350 (with 500e) - Sold 2014 :(
1999 MT350 (With 604e) - Sold 2018 :( :(
2014 F800 GT
2018 R1200RT LE
1960 SII Land Rover SWB SW

Derrick
Global Moderator

Post by Derrick » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:45 pm

Make sure you have a good look at what's around, many SIIs will have had things replaced, as much is a direct swap with S3. At least the spares for both are readily available and relatively cheap.If your prepared to work on it, then there is not much that cannot be done with space and a reasonable set of tools.

If your not planning on rebuilding it, then give the chassis a very careful inspection, it could be 40 years old and covered in underseal, with not much metal left. Many have been patched up so there may be a bit of welding. As well as complete new chassis, all the various sections can be purchased and replaced, so the rear may look new but the front original.

The petrol engine will be doing well to give 15 mpg. People do swap for newer diesels which can be far better for fuel consumption.

Like the MT, they are easy to keep going, but the parts are bigger.
0 x
1997 HD MT350
2002 Honda Pan European 1300

appyarry

Post by appyarry » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:51 pm

I'm looking for a Pick up for my retirement.

The trouble with the car based ones is that they are so expensive to buy.

I may well have to buy a Diesel Land Rover, bear me in mind if anyone has a good one coming up for sale.

Thanks,
0 x
MT 604e :-)
Serveta Jet 200
Triumph Tigress 250
BSA C15 to be rebuilt as Scrambler
Sinclair Goddard PowerPak
Kalkhoff Endeavour 11 Speed Hub

surfermick

Post by surfermick » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:59 pm

have had a look in on the series 2 owners club, i drove up to see a member in north cornwall who has 3 on the go, lovely vehicles. it is the s2 club that cast doubt on the series 2 as a daily driver. i am aware of the series 3 on a series 2 chassis scam. its the s2 metal dash that appealed to me, i dont like plastic. mpg wise ive heard various reports, petrols i am told can give 20mpg while the noisier diesel can give 25mpg. anyway, im looking for a nice example. thanks for the info guys. thanks TJ for the viewing offer but i am not going to Stafford this year but plan on timing it in for next year.
0 x

donk

Post by donk » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:38 am

Dont know if this may be a issue for you but I found due to my height a series 3 was better to get me in and out making it better to use on a regular basis.
not sure if you can do the rails like on a defender to make seat slide back further....been a long time since owning a series 3.
0 x

surfermick

Post by surfermick » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:34 pm

i am six foot so height is an issue, so the series 3 has a little more head room does it :?: :?:
0 x

Lardmarc

Post by Lardmarc » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:06 pm

Three door 300 discos are the way to go matey, you can pick discos up for nothing, anything goes wrong with it, which is less likely than the later electronic ones (limp mode home at 15 mph) strip them of the bits you need and scrap the rest. There is a market for axles and gearboxes if you can be bothered and have the space to store it all. I'm about to go back to disco ownership after selling a 110 for much more than I paid for it four years ago.
Image Image
ImageImage
Not that I'd know anything about Land rovers. :lol:
0 x

surfermick

Post by surfermick » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:17 pm

thats what im fed up with doing Lard, scrapping vehicle, i have this dream of buying a series land rover and it being with me until retirement ;)
0 x