300tdi - loss of drive

A place for you Landy'ers to converse without boring the rest of us (wink!)
woodruff

300tdi - loss of drive

Post by woodruff » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:46 pm

My mates 300 TDI lost drive last week, just parking. It was as though it just jumped out of gear. There is now no drive out the gearbox.

No it has not just jumped out of high range, the gears select fine just no drive...

Anyone have a 300tdi gearbox?
0 x

woodruff

Re: 300tdi - loss of drive

Post by woodruff » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:48 pm

Full service history
Road use only
Never towed
0 x

TDIPower

Post by TDIPower » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:43 pm

more info required.
is this defender 90 or 110 or disco?
which gearbox is it? LT77 or R380?
Is there drive from the gear box into the Transfer box?

If you didn't know although they are bolted together there are 2 boxes.

the main box be it Lt77 or R380 that the one that is bolted onto the back of the engine and has the main 5 gears + reverse fitted.
the transfer box is bolted onto the back of the main box, this is the one that has the hi-neutral-low and diff lock selection.

establish you have drive from the main to the transfer box, if you do, put the transfer in diff lock, if you get drive you have a failed axle.

Drop it out of diff lock, put it in gear with the hand brake off engine running see which prop shaft is spinning (obviously chock the wheels and be safe)

if its the front prop then prob a blown CV joint
if the rear then a blown half shaft
however it could be also stripped splines in a drive flange on which ever axle has the prop spinning.
if it is in a 110 then it is more likely to be a cv as the sailsbury diff/halfshaft tend to be bullet proof.

Pete
0 x
MT350

woodruff

Post by woodruff » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:53 pm

Pete,sorry should have been more specific, its a 110 station wagon. Dont know what gearbox but the first thing I did was look underneath with engine running, clutch out and in gear and I can tell you no props were turning...

Will get to have a proper look in the light tommorow.
0 x

TDIPower

Post by TDIPower » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:35 pm

another option would be the centre of the clutch has stripped out. If you drop the PTO cover off the TF box (round cover plate at the highest point on the back) or the top cover plate off you will be able to establish if drive is getting through the main box in all gears and go from there.

Pete
0 x
MT350

barny

Post by barny » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:54 pm

Hi,Re 300 tdi loss of drive can often be gearbox output shaft and the input gear in the transfer box both stripping, due to lack of
oil at the top of the transfer box(Land Rover poor design!).You can now get a cross drilled in put gear to replace the original
which will allow oil to the two sets of splines and overcomes this problem.Hope this helps.
0 x

Franc

Post by Franc » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:01 pm

I had a similar problem with my 300tdi 90 defender, turned out to be the clutch suffered a catastrophic failure due to old age and lack of use.
0 x

Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:47 pm

I think they either fixed or scrapped it by now :D

0 x
Its all fun and games till someone loses their keys

MT350