Ooops! Hydrolocked my engine..

A place for you Landy'ers to converse without boring the rest of us (wink!)
Mr Shiney

Ooops! Hydrolocked my engine..

Post by Mr Shiney » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:33 am

Managed to hydrolock my engine off roading at the weekend. Despite having a snorkel. It looks like it sucked water in through the NRV at the bottom of the air filter. I have now siliconed that shut!!

Now it just pushes out clouds of white smoke!! It sits and ticks over sounding normal and even revs normally apart from the vast amounts of smoke. No clanging, clattering or banging.

Anyway, I have take the engine apart to investigate, pushrods are fine so going to keep going deeper! I am thinking, possible injector problem, broken valves or a bent con rod.

Any other thoughts?
0 x

Roy W

Re: Ooops! Hydrolocked my engine..

Post by Roy W » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:22 am

Mr Shiney wrote: Any other thoughts?

Stick to aeroplanes?
0 x

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:42 am

You might have a point there...... :lol:
0 x

hounddog
Global Moderator

Post by hounddog » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:00 pm

From my admittedly limited knowledge, hydrolocking can be very bad news and result in damage to con rod, piston, valves, rings , head gasket or cylinder block , so some pretty serious engine surgery may be needed . sorry, dont want to depress you, but realistic .

the fact the engine starts and runs is cause for some cautious optimism

The white smoke I think indicates a fair bit of oil getting into the combustion chamber , getting past the valves or past the rings. possibly some water may be in the exhaust and will burn off as white steam - does the exhaust smell of burning oil or steam ?

I think you have just got to keep digging into those areas of the engine and see what the damage is , sadly
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project

ZIP TIE
Location: unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Post by ZIP TIE » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:02 pm

How far open was the throttle and what sort of engine speed were you at when it happened?

Turbo engine?

How long have you run it for since it happened?

Have you drained the exhaust system?
0 x

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:45 pm

It was sat ticking over when it just stalled. We had been submerged for about five minutes with the engine running, were towed out and it was sat for another five minutes or so ticking over before it stalled. I then took the air filter out and it was wet with a few tiny puddles of water in the pipe from the filter to the turbo. Emptied that out and and with the filter removed the engined started first turn. But with loads of white smoke. The smoke does not smell of oil, it smells of diesel. It is white with a very very faint blue tinge to it.

Turbo spins up normally and sounds fine. I have inspected the blades and bearings and they look fine.

There is no banging or clanking, in fact the engine ticks over and revs perfectly normally apart from the smoke. I had to drive it home which was about 20 miles and it was down on power occassionally feeling like it was missing a bit under hard acceleration in 3rd.

I have plenty of spare parts so unless it has done some serious block damage which I think would show up when ticking over and certianly under power it should just be a case of identifying what is broken.

The conrod is probably the hardest bit to sort if bent is it will probably involve lifting the engine up to get the sump off? So I am hoping its something top end or something really simple!!

My thoughts patterns is possibly either a bent conrod or a broken valve?

I have consdiered other options like a jumped timing belt or a blocked injector?
0 x

DSG

Post by DSG » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:02 pm

Perhaps I could sell you an engine you were associated with sometime ago :lol:

I can remember a friend Henry Rosenthal (Renthal handlebar maker) hydraulically locking his Greeves trials bike engine circa 1968. The engine was not a pretty sight! Needless to say that motor was a right-off.

Dave
0 x

Franc

Post by Franc » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:24 pm

Sounds like a bent valve to me? :roll:
0 x

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:36 pm

Franc wrote:Sounds like a bent valve to me? :roll:
yep, thats the route I am looking at now. I will know soon as I am about to take the head off.
0 x

Speedshop

Post by Speedshop » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:37 pm

Hydro locked engines normally don't run as a con rod is bent, if it does run it'll sound like a a gas cooker being dragged up a cobbled street. (The vauxhall Corsa I drove through a flood did).

Clouds of white smoke is usually a blown head gasket? (Saab 900 Turbo on the M11)
0 x
www.rexs-speedshop.com
Classic Performance