Making small improvements to a Can Am

A place for current or ex-Can Am owners to natter..
DonR

Re: Making small improvements to a Can Am

Post by DonR » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:48 am

Here's a little 'improvement' I didn't know I needed to do until yesterday - it might be worth others checking their bikes for the same thing.

This is the rear brake cover - the shoe assembly is on the other side of this part. When I torqued up the rear spindle nut I then found that the above part would no longer turn freely on the spindle. :( Annoying because I thought I was finally on the way back - putting things on rather than taking them off.

When I took the wheel out again I discovered that the steel bush - removed in the above pic - which the swing arm clamps up to was seized solid in the phosphor bronze sleeve of which you can just see the edge in the centre of the brake assembly.

A quick squirt of WD and it drifted out without too much trouble. The sleeve doesn't appear to be marked. The steel bush however was slightly corroded and even after a good session with some emery you can still see a bit of discoloration - but not quite 'pitting' - in the pic above.

The culprit would seem to be the square section rubber seal you can see cable tied to the bush - 30 years was obviously quite enough thank you although to be fair the bike hasn't turned a wheel for the last 20. I don't know if the seal is available as a spare part but there's a cracking place near here (Transpower Drives in Wellingborough) where you can wander in with any old lump of engineering and they invariably have something on the shelf. It wouldn't take much to get a new bush turned up either but for now I'm going to put it back with a bit of grease and keep an eye on it. I still need to change/re line the brake shoes (any sources anybody ?) so it'll be coming off again before long.

I've not actually put the wheel it back in yet so for now I'm back to this.

0 x
Can Am Bombardier
Most of an airhead Beemer
Some CXs

250rider

Post by 250rider » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:19 pm

Those old fellas at www.militarycan-am.co.uk have got hundreds of those rubber 'seals'.

They also have brake shoes as follows; NOS boxed OEM riveted, relined in UK or relined by/for the Belgian Army. All available exchange or, for the boxed NOS ones, outright but with a surcharge.

Paul (he, one of the old fellas at Military Can-Am)
0 x

250rider

Post by 250rider » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:21 pm

Forgot to mention that the bush/sleeve assembly is part of the floating brake plate and doesn't really need to be high precision - or at least that's what we've found. Copper bearing grease on assembly seems to work well/for ages.

Paul.
0 x

DonR

Post by DonR » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:03 pm

Cheers Paul

I've already sent you an email about those bits (and a couple of others) so that will be a great help. I have to go 'oop North' in the next couple of weeks so I can collect if that's ok with you.
Cheers
Andrew
0 x
Can Am Bombardier
Most of an airhead Beemer
Some CXs