CAN Am 250 Engine Wanted for Rebuild

A place for current or ex-Can Am owners to natter..
350biker

Re: CAN Am 250 Engine Wanted for Rebuild

Post by 350biker » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:58 pm

As Mr Shiney, Minter and 250rider note these engines can be rebuilt completely so why not have yours done? Do you want to keep yours on the road while one is built?
I had mine done by via 250rider and it's a flier. So much so that he has taken it off me - but that's brothers for you I suppose. Will get it back sometime (when it's "run-in" possibly). As the engine splits horizontally when it's apart do everything you can have done to it. Bearings, seals, rod kit, piston and rebore to name the obvious stuff.
0 x
Ian Wilkinson
Retired Refinery Safety Engineer and now light aircraft pilot!

1949 BSA Bantam (rigid)
1971 BSA A65T Thunderbolt
1980 CanAm 250
1971 BSA B50 MXR2 (work in progress!)

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:10 pm

Minter did my Can Am engine with Parts from military can an and it is superb. Only took a few weeks to do and that was a full blast and powder coat. Looks and runs like new.
0 x
97 MT350 - 500e hybrid GL 72 AA
MT604 - 350 Hybrid - Blue Thunder.... 53 KL 70
2013 Kawasaki Z1000SX
Mighty XR400
Even mightier CanAm250
Peugeot Kisbee Scoot 102cc
Ex RAF Defender 90

Why do you need so many bikes when you only have one bum? Girls eh!

Timtim

Post by Timtim » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:04 pm

Dear Can Am Community,

Thanks to Rocketron2 (top man he is) I now have purchased an engine for rebuild. Next job is to pull it apart and clean the good bits and rebuild with new. Hopefully I will have a nice fresh engine for next year’s adventures. Ron recommended Mr Shiney as a good source of spares, so I expect I will be heading his way in the very near future. I will take some photos of my engine rebuild endeavors and post them so you can see what a good job or not I am making of it. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Happy Can Amping.

Regards,

TImtim.
0 x

Timtim

Post by Timtim » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:13 pm

Dear Happy Can Am Enthusiasts,

My engine rebuild has hit a bit of a snag. The internals were badly corroded, and the crank, which I desperately need is a bit of a right off. Has anyone got a crank I could purchase? Also the Flywheel has a broken magnet so I suppose I need a new one of them if anyone has one. No rush as it’s a slow burn project and the existing engine is struggling on!! as they do.

Regards,

Timtim
0 x